Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Key West hotel- southernmost hotel or Marriott KW

Jan 11th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

I will be traveling to KW for four nights in April with a toddler. I have narrowed it down to these two hotels. I like that Southernmost hotel is in Old Town and that we can walk to everything where at the Marriott, we would have to drive or take the trolley into town. However, I am reading mixed reviews for Southernmost hotel on travel websites. Should I stay at the Martiott, a chain that I trust? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jan 11th, 2012, 06:47 AM
cd

I would recommend accomodations in Old Town within walking distance to everything. Parking is awful in KW. You need to drive to your hotel, park your car and not drive again until you leave. Between the two hotels you have narrowed it to, I would choose Southernmost. There have been people from Fodors that have stayed there so I imagine you could type the name in "search the forums" and gain some info. However, it is over a mile to Mallory Square so I don't know how your toddler would take to that. If it were me, I would stay closer to Mallory Square, but that's just me.
Jan 11th, 2012, 06:48 AM

Hi MDEyes,

I unquestionably would want to be near the heart of Old Town, where you can explore, walk to restaurants rather than having to drive (dealing with errant cyclists, chickens, ibis, sometimes the traffic looked backed-up), look for parking, rely on bus schedules. The Marriott I remember seeing (out by the airport when I cycled along the beachfront bike path...took me maybe 40 minutes to cycle there from near the Hemingway House?) and thinking I was glad I was staying more centrally. I didn't stay at Southernmost Hotel, but if that's the one you've decided on for other reasons in the old part (it's 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor, so mostly positive), I'd "take the risk" and go with that.

Enjoy whatever you decide! Daniel
Jan 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM

If you're thinking about the Marriott Beachside, I'd definitely recommend the Southernmost Hotel. The location is much better and within walking distance of the places you'll probably want to be.
Jan 12th, 2012, 04:02 AM

Let me just add a couple of things. The Marriott Beachside is relatively new, and it was built as condominiums so lots of the units on the water have kitchens. There's also a restaurant there that's popular with guests and locals. Our one experience there several years ago was not good.

Though the pictures on its webside show a pretty beach, in reality, it's not a swimmable beach.

There are several Southernmost properties connected to the Southernmost Hotel. The newest is Southernmost on the Beach, which gets excellent reviews. The Southernmost Hotel is the oldest, and though its reviews are good, they're the least good of the group.

Between your two choices I think the Southernmost wins hands down (especially with a child), but I agree that you'd probably be much happier on the other side of the island. With the exception of the Butterfly Conservancy, the bay side is where most of the tourist activities are that'd entertain your toddler...including the sunset celebrations.
Jan 12th, 2012, 05:50 AM

The magic of Key West is in Old Town, especially in many of the small Inns and B&B properties... every evening, the island comes alive at the northern end Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square...

Staying at the Marriott puts you very far from any or the KW "Charm"... make this your last choice...

We stayed at the South End of Duval on a few occasions and it was very difficult with children... during the day its very hot and the walk up Duval can take 40 minutes to many of the attractions... parking is difficult and pricy...

Please consider other properties... the Ocean Key, Pier House and even the Galleon Resort are much better family choices... the extra money you spend is worth the location and hassle, parking and convenience to Mallory Square...

You have chosen two properties with family obstacles to enjoying Key West... good luck
Jan 12th, 2012, 06:17 AM

Or you might look at La Concha. Location is good and it's less pricey than some. http://www.laconchakeywest.com/
Jan 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice! I will consider lodgings closer to the action. currently, looking at Curry mansion and Truman hotel.

gartt22- 40 min is definitely too long for me to walk with a toddler. that got my attention!
Jan 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Or if you like the "style" of Marriotts, how about the very nice Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa -- right at the heart of Duval by Mallory Square -- with free parking if you choose to get a car.
Jan 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM

That Hyatt has recently been redecorated and is very nice. Two other places to consider that are very family-friendly (not every place accepts children under 16) are the Island City House and Ambrosia and Ambrosia Too.
Jan 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM

Stayed at Curry Mansion long ago, great location, nice property. We stayed in the smaller house across the street from the main building. A bit noisy at night though.