Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Key West - drive from MIA, et al or fly directly onto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeking pros & cons on topic. I've done both - the past few times I've flown directly onto KW. This trip (April 2010) 2 other couples are going and the expensive flight from DAY (or CVG) to EYW is the reason I'm posting - please share your opinions/experiences. I've also read at some point about flying to the west coast of FL and taking a boat down to KW. Thanks in advance! Jill
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM

There is a recent post on here that provides all the answers you require. This question is posted frrequently.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I checked the posts before I wrote mine.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM

You're under $400 r/t from CVG. Anytime you find a flt under $400 to EYW, you're doing well. It really comes down to a time v. $$$ + typically the car rental will be more expensive than the flight. Of course if you have the time, meandering out the Keys is a fun thing to do. But you really don't need a car in EYW. The boat is questionable, not dependable & can be a less than enjoyable trip. I've never heard one person say a good thing about it.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 10:16 AM

While the boat from Ft. Myers to Key West may not be the most reliable form of transportation, it is a fun trip when weather cooperates. If you need to be at either destination on a specific day then you will be taking a chance. The boat will not operate under certain weather conditions but to be honest it happens about 10-15 times a year at the most.

I have to disagree with the previous poster about the quality of the trip. We had some fun times on the boat. I had some friends stuck in KW once for couple of days and finally they had to rent a car to get back because of work but they did not complain as they understood the possibility and they had a great time on the outbound cruise.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 10:35 AM

AAFF - You would be the 1st, Congrats ! I've heard nothing but horror stories from a myriad of friends.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:12 AM

I believe that most of the complainers are the ones that try to make a day trip out of it. It does make it for a looooong day. You get about 4 hours in KW and sit on a boat for about 8-9 hours. I would not do it. It's just not worth it.

The ones that are actually spending few days in KW hardly ever complain. The cruise itself is fun unless you're susceptible to sea sickness. These are small ships, about 150 ft. long so yes, they are prone to be thrown around by even the smallest waves but if that's not a problem then it is a fun cruise. The staff is friendly, the boats have outdoor and climate controlled indoor facilities. There is a full service bar, a galley. Get little sun outside, get a nice cocktail inside and just cruise, what's wrong with that?
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM

I'll just take the plane, thank you very much. I usually fly thru Pensacola or Tampa in lieu of Miami. Seems like everytime I went thru MIA I had a huge lay-over.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM

The last time my wife and I went to KW we actually flew from Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale then drove to KW. One thing you might not know is that Florida does not charge a drop off fee for one way rentals. We rented a car in FLL and dropped it off at the KW airport, then took a cab to our resort (Banyan Tree).When we returned, we took a cab to the airport and picked up our rental for the drive back.If you do this,verify that there is no drop off fee.You can rent a nice mini van for all the luggage and extra room for your friends.
Of course, a lot will depend on your return flight schedule so you will need to give yourself plenty of time to drive back.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 12:33 PM

I have taken the ferry from Ft Myers to Key West for a day trip and enjoyed it. Yes, it was a long day but it was a gorgeous day. I would do it again. But my parents have since done it again and didn't like it. Really depends on the weather.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM

I started a post on this topic and just like here, got a lot of great information! type in beachkomer and you should see my post!