Another Key West questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we choose to fly into Key West, will we need to rent a car to get around Key West? I'm wondering if this would be cheaper than flying into Ft. Lauderedale or Miami and then renting a car, recognizing that the tickets into Key West will be more expensive, of course.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM

It may depend on where you decide to stay on Key West. If you stay right downtown, you don't need a car to get around the town and see the sights. We walked everywhere. There were some hotels though that you would have to find some way to get downtown if you didn't have a car.

I admit though I will be surprised if your airfare will make it worthwhile. Especially since the airfare is per person. We checked into it in Mar/06 when we were last there and it was just way too prohibitive. We ended up flying into Ft. Lauderdale and renting a car. Besides, gives you a chance to see the Keys. Because of the time difference, we stayed the night in the Ft. Lauderdale area and just started out fresh the next day for the drive. We enjoyed the trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM

We just returned and we chose to fly into FLL and drive to Key West. There is about 9 miles of construction now that can get really slow and backed up. I suggest staying in Ft. Lauderdale or in Miami the night you arrive and waking up very early for the drive to Key West. This is what we did and we missed a lot of the traffic and back-ups.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM

You won't need to rent a car if you are staying in Key West.

One of my favorite vacations was a long weekend in Key West. We rented a scooter and scootered and snorkeled (and ate) the weekend away. The scooter was a fun way to get around Key West.

If you want to go elsewhere, you'll need a car.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM
GoTravel

A car in Key West is more of a liability.

You can still save the money and fly into FLL or MIA (almost the same distance from Key West), drive through the keys to Key West, then ditch the car in Key West.

When it is time to go back, rent another car and drive to FLL MIA.

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Take Card Sound Road from Florida City to Key Largo to avoid the construction.

Keith
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM

I'm a major proponent of flying into and out of Key West. It costs more, but saves you the 4 hour trip from Miami (4 1/2 from Ft. Lauderdale) and back, and you won't need a car in Key West. You also won't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic and possibly missing your plane on the way up.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Oops, let me just make a quick change to what I posted. You won't need a car if you stay in Old Town, but if you're staying out on Roosevelt (which I don't recommend) you'll definitely need some sort of transportation.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale and drove to Key West in a Mustang Convertible -- a highlight of our trip! I loved driving through the Keys and over 7-mile bridge.

We turned in the car upon arrival in Key West; there is no need for a car and it is a liability. We rented bikes two days, and walked everywhere else. Then we picked up a new rental car to drive back to Ft.L to fly home.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:10 PM

We usually fly into and out of KW.

That said, we have sometimes enjoyed driving down (with some leisurely stops along the way) then dropping off the car in KW and flying back out of KW.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Hoping KATKS reads this...or if anyone else has any input. We rented a convertible from Avis at the airport in Ft Lauderdale..........and I'm wondering if there's any way to make sure we get one when we arrive. I booked it on the internet....but I hear stories of arriving to find what you reserved is not available. Any tips?
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Calling the local office to confirm what you booked on the internet, can't hurt.

But if they were expecting one back and the renter doesn't return it until later (or return it damaged), it is out of their control.

Keith
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM

You don't need a car in Key West if you stay in one of the many hotels or a B+B located in or very close to the Old Town section.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the tip about Key West, but we're staying in Islamorada and want to wander around all week in the car...and spend one day in Key West.
I keep trying to reach the AVIS desk in Ft Lauderdale....but no one wants to answer.
Frustration. All the other options besides 0 only take me to the central AVIS center.