This Weekend - Drive from FLL to Key West

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying into Fort Lauderdale about 5:00 p.m. on Thursday and will pick a rental car up there at the airport and drive to Key West. Being the day before July 4th, do you have any idea how long this will take us with traffic (barring no accidents)? Are we better off staying in Key Largo along the way and making the rest of the drive the next day?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM

In perfectly ideal conditions, the trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West should take 4 1/2 hours.

I assume that because of the holiday, the traffic will be more or less awful, so count on more time than that (and pray you don't get stuck behind an accident).
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:36 AM

I think you would be better doing the whole trip to Key West in one go as even if you stay over in Key Largo you still have quite a trip to Key Largo and it will be July 4th so it will be very busy.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

You'll be lucky to be there by Midnight. I'd likely drive part-way, then get up way early Friday morning & complete the trek. Why not just fly into EYW ? You don't really need a car in Key West.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Can't fly into Key West - we have a direct flight from Knoxville to Fort Lauderdale which we secured a few months ago for $79 each way. Coming from Knoxville, that's a real bargain. Also, we are spending Saturday night in Miami so we need a car.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:49 PM

One year we drove into Key West the night of the final Fantasy Fest parade (Key West's version of Mardi Gras). We were braced for the worst and fully prepared to spend hours on the road, but we sailed right in with no problems whatsoever.

I think I'd just plan on driving straight on down. You'll be SO glad to get the drive out of the way!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:01 PM

Gonna be a long trip as you will fight holiday weekend rush hour traffic through FLL and MIA. The possibility of mahem once you are south of Florida City will be high.

You may be aware that there is construction from Florida City to Key Largo. Two lane with lots of barrels.

If you are comfortable taking the Card Sound exit over the toll bridge, it's a better alternative. Just S of Florida City there is a left turn well signed Card Sound. The toll bridge is $1. At the T, turn left and return to Hwy 1, turn left again.

Be patient and enjoy the scenery.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM

Can't you fly from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West? LIke from Miami? That road is brutal.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

So then you are going back to MIA on Saturday ? Enjoy your time in the car, you're likely looking @ 10-12 hours of your weekend. You need to skip Miami or Key West, period.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

You may also have difficulty finding reservations in Key West, if you don't have any. Many will have a 2 or 3 night minimum w/the Holiday.

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM

Re the construction between FLA City and Key Largo, it is much better now, and I would not call CSR a better alternative. In fact, with the new bridge now open, the long delays that were associated with the constant openings of the Jewfish Creek drawbridge are a thing of the past, somthing that can't be said about the toll booth on CSR, which can back up quite a bit on holiday weekends. Also, at least southbound most of the road is construction free; both passing zones are open.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. We know we are facing lots of car time this weekend but want to do both Key West and Miami. We have had hotel reservations lined up in both Key West and Miami for months now. Happy 4th!