Keys? Where in the Keys?

Aug 24th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Keys? Where in the Keys?

Questions
1. Where should I go? KEy largo, Key West, Islamoroda?

I like neat places that are off the tourist path, unique hotels, no kids.

2. How do I get there? Fly to Miami and drive or fly to Key west and Drive?

3. The Moorings on Islamorada--ever hear of it or stay there? How woudl it be best to be to this area of the Keys, from Key West or Miami? How far is it?
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:54 AM
GoTravel

If you want to be on the water or under the water (diving, fishing, snorkeling, boating) you want to be in Islamorada.

You must have a car for the middle keys. Fly into FLL or MIA and drive to Key Largo or Islamorada. Of the two, Islamorada is my favorite.

The Moorings is very nice. As nice, Morada Bay and Cheeca Lodge. Less money and still nice, Palms and Pines.

I don't think the middle keys are as much fun if you don't have a boat. Rentals are everywhere.

If you just want to hang out, have a few drinks, lie by a pool, party some, Key West is your ticket.

Fly into Key West, do not rent car.

The Marquesa, Heron House, or Gardens would be my first Inn/B&B choice. Hyatt is my first hotel choice.

Aug 24th, 2004, 12:07 PM

happy1,
My husband and I chose Islamorada and I am glad we did. We stayed at Casa Morada. At the time we were there I did not see any children. We liked the fact that it was tranquil and not chaotic. Sorry but I am probobly not the one to ask about Key West. It is one big tourist trap. Thankfully we did not spend too much time there.
I have not stayed at The Moorings but I have heard great things about it.
As far as flying...I would fly into Key West if you can. Our drive from Miami was about 3 hours to Islamorada. I wish we had flown into Key West and avoided the long drive.
Just my 2 cents.
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:31 PM

I love Key West, just decided a few days ago to fly down for Labor Day weekend. Will return for Thanksgiving.

Yea, it's touristy, but for me it has a certain 'feel' that I haven't found any where else in the continental US. I love the tropical/Caribbean feel. Walk a little/drink a little/eat a little. Read lots of books around the pool. Great small hotels and B&B's. Decent restaurants that you don't have to dress up for.

This trip we're flying directly to Key West. Over Thanksgiving we're flying to Miami and driving down since my kids (adults) have never done the drive. We will fly home from Key West though (only have a one day car rental).

Jean
Aug 24th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Lucky you!
A good problem to have. We like Key West when we feel like partying a little. But we have stayed on Grassy Key and have really enjoyed the isolation of it! We stayed at a place on the water called Rainbow Bend. Did not see any children. Most of the others staying there at the time were divers. We had a deck on the beach and basically just chilled during the day. At night we headed down to the marina for the best local band, drinks and gator meat I've ever had!
Dec 7th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Katherine- 3 hours to Islamorada?? It's only 85 miles. We did it last week, and it took 1.5 hours. If Islamorada is your destination, I would definately fly into MIA, and drive from there (836 West to FLA turnpike South to Key Largo, then the Overseas HWY). It's an easy drive.

Dec 7th, 2004, 08:19 AM

Having only stayed on Key West, I don't have much to add other than that Key West is much more "happening" whereas the other Keys seem substantially more laid back/relaxed.

My one piece of advice would be to definitely fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale rather than Key West. I think part of the charm of the Keys is the drive to them - you feel yourself moving futher and further away from the mainland as you take in the fabulous scenery and anticipate your destination.