Key West & Disney-do which first?

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 08:12 AM
Pam

Key West & Disney-do which first?

My husband & I are driving from Pennsylvania to Florida. One wants to drive to Disneyworld (for 5 days), then onward to the Florida Keys for whatever length of time and then return to Pa. The other says to drive to the Keys for three to four days, return to Disneyworld for five days and return to Pa. We have two full weeks for travel. Is staying in the Keys area for 4 days long enough, what might we do there? Consider this a 28th anniversary gift and a 50th birthday present wrapped into one!
Open to other points of interest between Pa. & Disney, also.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 09:28 AM
Chris

Dear Pam,
Your vacation plans sound great! I live here in Florida, and have done both the Keys and Disney. Five days of either is alot. Disney is great but unless you're coming with children, the place can be done thoroughly in 3 days. May I suggest visiting wet & wild (orlando) which is fun fun fun (short lines!). Also I reccomend staying right in Key West. Rent half a house (lots available and they're fully stocked, private and cheaper!) You can do this there by stopping at a one of the many accomadation booths on Duval Street. That way you have money to rent a moped and "do up" the Island like a native! Mopeds are fun and the only way to get around (no parking). Also you can explore secluded parts of the island and the beaches easier. Do Disney first (it requires energy) and then head for the Keys to relax! Have a great trip! Chris

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 09:35 AM
Larry

I agree with Chris. Disney, while incredibly fun, can be anything but relaxing. So, go there first and then go to the Keys, where you can get all the relaxing you would want. By the way, the Disney/Keys combination is a GREAT vacation choice.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 09:59 AM
jm

I agree - Disney first, 'cause then you'll want to unwind and relax from all that! Sounds like great fun! I'm jealous!

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 11:17 AM
pam

Well, it looks as though it may be Key West first, then Disney. Does anyone know the distance from between these two areas (hours/miles). Any suggestions on lodging or dining while in the Keys area?
thanx sooo much for your quick responses..

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 11:31 AM
susan

Wow! One of the few (if not only)times we had a consensus of advice! Your decision notwithstanding, I agree with the other posters. We go to Key West for R&R and can't imagine messing up all that down time with Disney. In Key West we always stay at the Galleon. It's a timeshare that rents to non-owners and is in the thick of activity. They have a web site you might check out.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 11:41 AM
web

I live in Pa. and have driven all over Fla.many times(family).It is a long drive to Key West and a lot longer back to Pa.Interstate 95 is a nightmare.Usually take the turnpike,even though it costs.If you could drive to Disney for a few days (16-18hrs. from Lawrence Co.)then down to the Keys and came back up to Disney for afew days it might be easier on you.We ae your age and that`s a lot of driving.The road to the Keys is 2 lanes and not too many passing areas.My preference is to stay downtown/Old Town~some place walkable.Check Fodors/Key West forum for lodging/restaurants-plenty of suggestions. This IS MY personal opinion-before I get jumped on by someone.Go to Mapquest.com and check mileage and driving times.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 02:42 PM
susan

I guess this is as good a time as any to comment on the Fodors Key West lodging reviews. Notably absent are the Hyatt and the Ocean Key House which are widely considered the two most desirable places to stay in Key West. Also absent are the Hilton - which does does NOT get such great reviews - and its sister property, the Hilton Sunset Key cottages that are absolutely lovely.
I'm so fond of this board that I don't want to be critical of Fodors, but I hope some of these reviews will be updated. I tried to give a bad rating to a restaurant in New Orleans and the board wouldn't accept my comment. I suppose it was because I'd given it a 1 in the food department, but it's a glitch that needs to be repaired.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 09:32 AM
dot stumvoll

Once you hit FL, head to A1A (Jax Beach) -- nice ocean drive which takes you through St. Augustine where you might want to look around. Once you hit Daytona, head West to I-4 to Disney, but 5 days too much (although lots else to see and do -- I've always liked Sea World. Then do the Keys (you may want to get to A1A again; scenic, but slower (check maps). Consider an overnight in Miami to see some sights there (South Beach, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables, etc.) -- then head for Keys. We stayed on Sunset Island -- a very pricey, but beautiful spot. Hotels nearby (Hilton, etc.) nice. Things to do? Relax, eat, shop (touristy stuff), watch famous sunsets from Pier or tour boats, fish, all water stuff! I'm sure you've been into the Key West site, etc.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 07:04 PM
Joy in Va

Driving tips thru VA: If you are coming south on 95 from eastern PA, at Baltimore follow your map to eventually get on 301 south that crosses the Potomac River Bridge into VA. Small toll but you will avoid the heavy congestion & construction around the DC beltway. Follow 301 south for about 2 hours until you reach the 295 intersection 10 miles south of Hanover Court House, then get on 295 heading south. This way you will avoid the heavy congestion around Richmond, VA, esp at night. There is major construction from 7 PM to 6 AM daily except weekends in Richmond because of a project to replace the deck portions of the I-95 bridge over the James River. These 2 tips could potentially save you 3 or 4 hours of sitting in traffic. Plus the 301 drive is rural, pretty, and has little traffic.