Search

Key West

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:18 AM
marianne

Key West

My husband & I are flying from NC to Key West on 1/30/03 for 4 days. We have reservations for BW Intl Key Ambassador Resort Inn (because husband wants to be on the beach for the view.) I've never been to Key West (he has), and I wonder if this hotel will allow us the full experience of the town or would it be better to be closer in.
We want to rent bicycles and tour some on bikes & walking. Also would like to do some nature explorations, like kayaking or sailing. Any suggestions for activities and food? Am I waiting too late to make arrangements?

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:38 AM
susan

The Best Western is across the street from the Atlantic, but there's no beach there, only a concrete walkway. The water is very shallow and is normally grassy, too. I can't ever remember seeing anyone in the water near that location. Boats moor on the other side of the island.

The Gulf side has LOTS of boat traffic and is the location of sunset activities and tourist attractions. If you can get something closer to that side of Key West I think you'd like it better.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Doris

We just got back from Key West 1/21/03. We to stayed for four days and had never been before (we are also from NC). We stayed at the Ocean Key Resort at Zero Duvall street and loved it! We were in room 528 which overlooked the Gulf of Mexico and Mallory Square.

We did not rent bikes or scooters. We walked everywhere! From one end of Duvall Street to the other and stopped everywhere in between!

Things we liked:
Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square
Hemmingway's House
The Lighthouse
Shops along Duvall Street
Rickshaw Ride
The Cemetary
THE FOOD!!

We had great food while we were there, you may want to try: Blue Heaven, Pepe's, Seven Fish, Antonias, Half Shell Oyster Bar. Be advised you will need reservations for Seven Fish and Antonias. Otherwise we walked right into the other places with no waiting in line.

I hope you have better weather than we did. Last Saturday was the second coldest day in history in Key West! Be sure to take layers of clothing and keep an eye on weather.com for the latest forcast before you leaave. We were prepared for the weather and had a wonderful time.

It was too cold for a sunset cruise so we did not get to do that. We have decided to go again next year and will hope for nicer weather.

Have fun!!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Jackie

Doris-Did you stop at any of the other Keys like you planned to do? Glad you had a great time!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Doris

Hi Jackie - no we did not. This was our second honeymoon celebrating our 20th wedding anniversay. My husband got sick the day before we left. Bad weather and plane mechanical problems left us stuck in Atlanta overnight so we got to our destination a day late. Then the day before we were to leave I got sick! We still had a great time and have planned a "do over" for next year!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Sam

The BW Key Ambassador is not on the beach. It also has some sketchy reviews on this website. I would consider staying somewhere else and closer to town.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Ginny

What are you talking about Sam? I only saw one negative review on the BW Ambassador in the rants and raves section. I have stayed there and the place is fine. Rooms are large, clean and you have a nice, screened porch. Request oceanfront.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Marianne

Thanks for all of your replies! Especially yours, Doris. Sounds like you had a great time in spite of weather and illness! Thanks for the restaurant recommendations! Has anyone taken any of the Adventure Charters and Tours sailing or kayaking trips?
Marianne

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:01 PM
xxx

WHY COME YOU PEOPLE RESERVE FIRST AND ASK QUESTIONS AFTER? DUMB.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:49 PM
xxx

There is plenty of information on this hotel. Just do a search.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Mak

Its really near the airport and not much else. I think there is also a steak house near it. It is not on a beach. There are better things in Key West for the money.