Key Largo to South Beach and Back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking maybe of driving up to South Beach while in Key Largo and spending the day there, weather permitting. Any point in going if the weather is rainy? Any suggestions for lunch or things to do for the afternoon and early evening? If it is sunny and warm, what is the best beach to go to?

Thanks NannyJan
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I should add we will be there the last week in October...

Thanks, Nanny Jan
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:35 AM
GoTravel

NannyJan, South Beach is the beach in South Beach. ARe you asking about whether to go to Lummus Park or one of the other park beaches?

Anywhere you can get a parking place. There is plenty of public parking just off 21st Street between the Days Inn and The Holiday Inn. I suggest parking there.

You can rent chairs on the beach.

South Beach is my favorite beach on Miami Beach. Yes, plenty to do even if it is raining.

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Guess I am confused...when I do a Search on South Beach I don't really get anything unless I put in Miami and then South Beach is one of the Beaches that comes up. Is South Beach a neighborhood, a town, or simply a beach? Are there other beaches in the same area or just Miami Beach..AND is Miami Beach a town, neighborhood or simply a beach...Geography 101...

We were thinking that if it rained (repeatedly) while we were in Key Largo, it might be fun to ride up to that area...

Thanks, Jan
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:27 AM
GoTravel

NannyJan,

The two cities are Miami and Miami Beach. Miami is the mainland and Miami Beach is the barrier island off Miami mainland and yes, they are two separate cities.

South Beach is a neighborhood of Miami Beach. Miami Beach is made up of South Beach, Mid Beach, North Beach, North Miami Beach, Surfside, Sunny Isles, Bal Harbour, and Hallandale to name of few.

Does that help?

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes,makes sense, and you are suggesting South Beach as the one to visit should we drive up from Key Largo for the day...

Any lunch spot recommendations? We like just about anything that is good reasonably priced food!

Thanks...
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM
GoTravel

My favorite would be to drive up to Sunny Isles and eat at The Rascal House. A Jewish kosher style deli that is an institution in Miami Beach since the 1940s.

On 172nd and Collins Avenue. The drive up Collins Avenue/A1A from South Beach is great. All oceanfront and you get to see tons of South Florida architecture.

The portions are enormous and it really is a great place.

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions...with luck, we will just chill in the sun at Pennecamp or Everglades National Park...but nice to know there are other options.

Jan