Kennebunkport October Trip Recs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2023, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My husband and I will be flying into Boston the first week of October and driving up to Kennebunkport for 3 nights then driving back to Boston and flying out the next day. We are an active couple looking for recommendations on day trips and hikes in/around Kennebunkport area, as well as must see places and must eat restaurants for breakfast, lunch, dinner! We would like to see more outside of Kennebunkport for 1 day trip as we know there's likely a lot we can probably do in Kennebunkport while we're there too. So any suggestions for good hiking, good routes to take, other cities to check out, thank you!
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 10:47 AM

It's a quick drive down to Ogunquit from Kennebunkport and so walking on the Marginal Way is one of my favorite activities. Perkins Cove is also a lovely spot. The Ogunquit Playhouse will still be on so you can check the website for schedules. Lots of nice restaurants in Ogunquit along Shore Road but my favorite is The Front Yard on Main Street. We also like the Old Ogunquit Inn also on Main Street.
You can also head up to Portland and walk around the Old Port area, visit the Portland Head Light if you've never been, take a harbor cruise.
The Portland Museum of Art is outstanding museum and I am very partial to the small Ogunquit Museum of Art. Check their websites for days of operation. Portland is of course a foodie place and lots of nice restaurants.
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 01:07 AM

We've had fun attending Stonewall Kitchen cooking School which is all demo with a full meal served. Very popular so get reservations. Agree with above recommendations. I love the view of Casco bay from Fort Williams Park if you go to Portland head light. Cruise gives you opportunity to get off at an island. Friend has recommended Peaks Island but I've never been.

Portsmouth is another city to check out and another opportunity to cruise. Inland Rivers foliage cruise should be nice. For hiking you could visit Wagon Hill In Durham. There are other hiking trails in Portsmouth but I've forgotten names and we went with a group. Beautiful drive is rt 1B from Prescott Park thru Newcastle. Rt 1A is along coast past fabulous homes in Rye. Lots of seafood options from casual paper plate places in Seabrook to harbor view in Portsmouth. We usually go to casual Petey's in Rye but it's small and very popular. Unless you go at an off time it's impossible to find parking.
according to google you can hike on Peak's island https://www.theoutbound.com/adventur...e-peaks-island
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 09:39 PM

My husband and I love Maine and try to get there every year. We fly into Boston and usually spend the first night in Portsmouth, going to Petey’s in Rye for our first lobster of the trip and often stop in again on our way back to Boston for the flight home.

This past April we spent a week in Kennebunkport and ate at the Boathouse, Pilot House, Bateson Brewing (I think we just had drinks there), Bandaloop (actually in Arundel) and a surprisingly good pizza at Pizza Roma. My husband got coffee every morning at Mornings in Paris but we had the BEST bake goods at Boulangerie - A Proper Bakery a few minutes outside of town. We ordered several things, all were excellent including croissants that were truly better than we had on our last trip to Paris!

As for day trips, we always go to Portland and look around at the shops and then head up to LL Bean in Freeport. In April we stopped at a Bite into Maine (Scarborough location) and got the lobster roll samplers which were very good. We also like driving up to Camden - beautiful little town with cute shops and a great viewpoint at Mt. Battie. Damariscota and Boothbay Harbor are cute little towns, too.

Have fun!

https://www.aproperbakery.com

https://www.biteintomaine.com

https://peteys.com

https://www.bandalooprestaurant.com