Kenai Fjords trip in September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a honeymoon to Alaska the second week in September. We have only 5 full days in Alaska, and are planning to spend most of our time in Homer. At that time of year, is it worth it to drive to Seward for the Kenai Fjords boat tour? Some people I have spoken to have indicated that things might be closing down already. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Additionally, I presume we will be seeing a good bit of wildlife in Homer, especially since we are planning to head over to Kachemak Bay. So will we really see that much that is different at Kenai Fjords?
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:39 AM

I don't know when they close their tours. You could check their website for that.

From all I've read on this board, you see a lot more marine wildlife and glaciers in the Kenai Fjords than out of Homer.

We loved our 8 hour trip and next time will do the longest (11 hour) trip.
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Also don't know if they "close down" or not, but these boat trips apparently are always a crap shoot weather wise. Be advised it is a looong drive from Homer to Seward. Longer than the mileage indicates, if you know what I mean. This would be an extremely long day for the driver.
Old May 29th, 2003, 05:57 PM

We took a six hour Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward in late September 2000, which was the only tour available that late in the season. It was quite amazing, but I agree it's not worth the long drive from Homer just to do the boat trip. Homer is wonderful, too. You might want to take a boat ride out of Homer and you may very well see wildlife on that, too. We saw plenty of otters, sea lions, and bald eagles in Homer.
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:14 AM

It is 180 slow miles Homer- Seward. Kenai Fjord trips scale back to the 6 hour trip by end of Sept, with limited sailings. You will see a significant amount more marine wildlife though then out of Homer. But I would not spend 5 days in Homer either. Another possibility would be a day or 2 flight for bear watching- if still in season and available??