Search

Homer or Seward?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homer or Seward?

I am Taking a Trip in March for the Idtarod, but would like to do a Day Trip down to the Kenai Pennisula, you have already given me some great suggestions on my previous post, but i was wondering if I should take a day Trip to Seward or Homer,
What is the Most Scenic Drive?
Best Downtown Area for Walking?
City with Best Chance for Wildlife?
Other Pluses that make one better over the other

I am sure most of you will say the two places are like choosing your favorite parent or Kid but any info would help
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM

I like Homer better than Seward but just barely. Either one is great.

Given your constraints (day trip), I'd pick Seward only because it is a shorter drive. The drive to Seward, mile for mile, is also more scenic, however, there are some seriously scenic stretches on the drive to Homer also.

Neither of them has a really great downtown area but Seward is more compact and more easily walked. On the other hand, the Homer Spit is a pretty neat area that has no counterpart in Seward. Both have small boat marinas where you are likely to see lots of salmon and halibut being brought in during the season.

Wildlife is a luck-of-the-draw issue and, unless you also take a boat trip to Kenai Fjords NP, neither has an advantage on the other. I've seen wildlife (balooga(sp?) whales, moose, bear, salmon) on trips to both and I have also been on trips to both where all I saw were birds.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 03:35 AM

I also agree, you don't have enough time for Homer and barely enough for Seward, as I have already mentioned, it isn't a day trip for me.

As for wildlife- expect little in the winter, maybe you'll get lucky with a moose, but both my winter trips had only moose. Did see marine wildlife sailing out of Seward, but had to wait 3 days for the trip to go. Homer is noted for wintering eagles- hundreds of them, if that is a priority??

Bottom line, both are very worthwhile places to go, neither "better" than the other, but both better with more time.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 03:37 AM

You also want to be on top of the avalanche situation on the Seward Highway, it closed for part of a day when I was there. With your tight timeframe, you won't be able to wait it out if necessary.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM

The advice and opinions so far have been right on, but please note BQ's issue with the time.

Even though I drive faster than BQ -- but always wave when I pass -- you'll be spending way too much time on the road to Homer. Another consideration: strange roads -- even if they are good and clear -- take more of a toll on the driver. You'd have to be a real road warrior for Homer to be enjoyable.

That said, if hours in the car aren't a factor, here's the rest . . .

The most scenic parts of the drives to either town is the stretch you cover to both -- although the final downhill into Homer is lovely, plus on a clear day you can see volcanoes across Cook Inlet on the drive to Homer.

I like the Seward downtown a little better, but unless you are including a wildlife viewng cruise I'd give a slight edge to Homer. You won't see any salmon or halibut coming in to the small boat harbors in March.

If the roads are dicey or the weather is threatening, opt for Seward just because it's closer. If it's clear (and there's no Kenai Fjords cruise in the plans), head for homer, the Spit and the Salty Dawg.

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:11 AM

the original poster asked about a day trip in March. I am surprised that some of you would recommend a day trip to Homer this time of the year. Even in the summer I would never recommend a day trip to Homer. In March I would worry that a weather can change fast and I wouldn't be able to get back to Anchorage for the start of the Iditarod.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Sorry for my comment about the salmon and halibut. The fact this trip will be in March did not register with me.

I echo the advice to be aware of avalanche conditions. You could get there and then not be able to drive back for hours or days.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I am getting mixed signals now

Ok, here are the facts

1. We would be doing this on Friday before the Iditarod Started

2. I have lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin most of my life, so Snow,Icy conditions are not a burden

3. I talked to the Owner of Teddy's Inn in the Woods in Seward and he said they plow that Highway a lot, it's just like the Roads at home and he just Drove to Anchorage last week for Christmas and he said it only took 2 hours to get to Anchorage from Seward
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Definitely Seward. I might pick Homer in the summer, but in the off season Seward has much more to offer. Enjoy.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Well, it seems you are going to do what you wanted to do from the begining but we all were expressing our concerns about your driving. We all visited Alaska and know the roads. At least Budget Queen visited in the winter. Is this your first trip to Alaska?
By the way, I live in Northeast and snow,icy conditions are always a burden. It takes much longer to get somewhere during whiteouts or when roads are icy.
Have a great trip regardless what you do or where you go.

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I vote for Seward.

MY
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I didn't mean to confuse the issue.

It's Seward.

That's where I was headed on my earlier post, but I wanted to include options if driving 12 hours wasn't an issue.

BTW, I have driven Anchorage to Homer and back in the same day, and in winter. It's not a great option unless you really, really like to drive -- or as was my case -- you have to.

Also, as someone who learned to drive in Minnesota and spent nearly 10 years living in Alaska, I'd say the winter roads in most of AK are a bit trickier than in the Upper Midwest. There's a greater chance of black ice and winter winds can be far more severe.

Go to Seward -- have a bowl of chowder at Ray's for lunch and reward yourself with a meal at the Double Musky in Girdwood on the return.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM

True, the roads can be very clear, but two hours from Anchorage to Seward is a speed that only the fastest locals can claim.

It's not a road for a visitor to see how fast he/she can drive.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 01:00 PM

I too have driven roads in the upper midwest in winter. If you are used to them, you should have little trouble driving on Alaska winter roads in the area in question MOST OF THE TIME.

The times when you, and everyone else, might have trouble is when Avalanche danger is high or after an avalanche has occured and closed the road. It does not happen often but it does happen and timing is not predictable this far in advance.

Closures can last as little as minutes and as long as days. A couple of years ago, on that road, an avalanche caused a fatality and, then while it was being cleared, another avalanche killed a road worker. The highway between Anchorage and the Peninsula was closed for 3-4 days.

I emphasize this not because it is highly likely to occur but because you indicated in your intial question you were constrained for time.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM

See this page: http://www.alaska.org/homer/advice-homer-or-seward.htm
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:14 AM

I would be tempted to choose Homer so I could see the eagles that spend the winter there. We saw quite a few in June but there are many more in the winter. In summer, we figured the drive from Homer to Anchorage is 5 hours. The most scenic portion is the same for Seward, from Anchorage down along the Turnagain Arm. If you are really determined and your budget allows, perhaps a commuter flight to Homer or even Kenai would work. Flight time to Kenai is about 20 minutes. You can book tickets on-line. I suggest Kenai which is about 1 1/2 hours from Homer depending on whether there's a herd of caribou hanging around the large marshy area since you'd like to see wildlife. (Sorry, I don't remember if it's the stretch between Kenai and Soldotna or heading out of Soldotna toward Homer.) The terrain is flatter between Kenai and Homer so I don't think it has avalanche problems. I like the compact downtown area of Seward and loved the Sealife Center but I liked the Pratt Museum in Homer even more. Check to see what time these places and restaurants are open in March. Of course, even a commuter flight can be effected by weather. The views are nice but not great on the route from ANC to Kenai. Also, keep in mind the amount of daylight you'll have in March. Also, there is only one road and no detour possible if there is an accident. I don't think you'll find much if anything open on the Spit in March.
A drive as far as Girdwood from Anchorage would be great for scenery but would still depend on weather/road conditions. Best wishes for your trip.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM

The bottom line is, you only have one day so what do you want to do most: drive or see the area? If you want to drive all day with little time to stop anywhere, then strike out for Homer. If you want to see a good sampling of the Kenai, then head to Seward, taking your time to enjoy the many great stops and beautiful scenery along the way. You don't want to rush to/from Anchorage . . . the scenic drive starts almost immediately upon leaving Anchorage and continues all the way to Seward. Then enjoy some time in Seward, and head back. I think many will agree--the trip back offers sights and views that you can't appreciate coming from Anchorage.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE HOMER, but you just don't have time to do it justice.

You will love Alaska, regardless of how much you have time to squeeze in. Savor what you DO have time to see, and maybe you can do a return trip to try to do some of the things you missed this time!

Enjoy!