Kenai and Inner Passage in 7 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I have always wanted to visit Alaska but cannot get more than one week of vacation at a time. I had thought that for our first trip, spending our time on the Kenai Peninsula would give us a good taste of the unique beauty of this state. However, my husband wants to try to visit an old college friend who lives in Ketchikan. MAYBE I can get an extra day or two of vacation but no more...

We could fly into Anchorage and choose either Seward or Homer to visit for a couple of days. Then return to Anchorage and fly to Juneau. Then take the ferry down to Ketchikan. That leaves a lot of questions, though:

Would you choose Homer or Seward?
How would I get back to Juneau from Ketchikan? I hate to spend time doing the ferry again. Is it possible to fly back to either Juneau or Anchorage from there? I'm afraid this could get terribly expensive...

Thank you for your advice.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:02 AM

See www.alaskaair.com for price info. Alaska Airlines has flights from Anchorage to Ketchikan. It looks doable.
I think I would choose Homer because I really liked the Pratt Museum. From Anchorage you will see the same dramatic scenery along the Turnagain Arm. Seward is closer. The Kenai Fjords trips is great but you can take a short boat trip to see birds, seals and otters out of Homer. We stayed overnight in Seldovia and then returned via a short flight in a tiny plane over a glacier. This was a great flight but you don't have to stay over in Seldovia. You can take a similar flight from Homer with Smokey Bay. It was just a half hour flight. The pilot took us closer when he saw some mountain goats. I also enjoyed the farmers market in Homer on Sat morning beginning at 10am. There were some crafts as well as food. It's very small but the baked goods were great. You should plan to be in Soldotna or Kenai (if you do a sidetrip, the Kenai visitors center has a wonderful display) around lunch time since there aren't a lot of choices between there and Homer for a place to eat although I think it was in Ninilchik that we followed signs to a casual seaside lunch place. Just before you get to Homer there is a rest stop with a dramatic view looking out toward the Homer Spit. You really need at least one night in Homer but two would be more sensible figuring you might not get there until late afternoon. Homer is larger and more spread out than Seward. I also enjoyed the art galleries/gift shops in Homer. I talked to an artist from Homer who used to live in my state. It was interesting to hear how much she loved Alaska and why she would never move back to NH (too humid in summer!) We only had time for one lunch (Cups) but there seems to be several good choices. One of the shops had wonderful polar fleece clothing and canvas bags. It was interesting to read that they started out in a school bus with one sewing machine. Before you leave, take the scenic drive up the hill. From the top you will overlook the airport and see the Spit from a different angle. You can drive back to the highway without going back thru town. Of course, if you fish Homer has a lot to offer, too.
If you have time on the way back to Anchorage, stop at Portage Glacier visitors center and also take the tram ride up Mt Alyeska as long as the weather is good. If you don't make any stops, I think the drive from Homer to Anchorage is about 4-5 hours.
Good luck! It's a hard choice to make.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Stopping in SE Alaska going to or from ANC adds around $150-$200 to most RT tickets from the lower 48.

It's not a bad idea, but I'd consult the ferry schedules to make sure the Juneau-Ketichikan boat doesn't arrive at Ketchikan in the middle of the night. Many do.

A one-way cruise is another obvious choice. Most itineraries stop in Ketchikan, so your husband could see his friend then, if only for a day. Cost-wise, it would likely be close to a push given hotel, car, plane and other add-ons to your agenda.

Frankly IMO a couple of days on the Kenai does not justify the additional expense to travel all the way to Anchorage, just to turn around. You might consider just limiting yourselves to SE Alaska this time (more than enough to see and do) and save southcentral or interior AK for another time, when you can do it more justice.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:01 AM

These are great intewntions, but I think Gardydloo has it right. Unless money is no object, you don't get much ``value'' out of trying to do this.

I'd turn it into a SE AK event --- nothing wrong with that -- or perhaps the college friend would like to take a break and come to the Kenai. Not a lot of SE folks get up to Southcentral that often.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

I've been giving it a lot of thought and feel that you are right. We could do it, but it would involve constant traveling and very little time enjoying/taking it all in. We'll choose one area so as not to make the trip so hectic. I hate to choose the Inner Passage just to see this friend. As far as sheer natural wonder/beauty would you vote for the IP or the Kenai Peninsula? We can go in either June or early August. My daughter wants to see the salmon run (probably due to the Disney movie "Brother Bear"). Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM

First thing to consider -- Don't stress out, you're choosing between two very beautiful places. Neither is wrong.

Could you send hubby ahead for a day in Ketchikan?

I haven't seen Brother Bear, but timing salmon runs can be a little iffy. The peaks of the runs vary a bit. If you're looking for rivers clogged with fish there are plenty of places that would work. If you are looking for fish leaping, it's much more selective -- although there's even a not-so-scenic area right in the middle of Anchorage where that happens. If you go to the Kenai, I'd say a hike to Russian River falls might work. Don't know about the best in the SE.

As for Seward vs. Homer, I'd say stop in Seward for at least a day on the way to Homer. There's no equivalent to either the long Kenai Fjords trio or a stop at Exit Glacier in Homer. Both are must do's.

Also, if you do just concentrate on the Kenai, I consider adding the ferry from Whittier to Valdez with a drive back to Anchorage. It'll take two days, but the rugged scenery is spectacular.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:00 AM

With only a week, you aren't going to have time to ferry to/from Ketchikan. This takes TIME. If you have to go there I would do a round trip Alaska Airlines flight. Perhaps let your husband go alone? The Kenai it's self can take a week, going in August will have plenty of salmon viewing on the Kenai and Russian Rivers. Also Shipcreek downtown Anchorage. So you would see it somewhere. I like Seward for the excellent Kenai fjords boat trips, Homer has some nice boat trips too. Consider www.toursaver.com and see if this offers you any savings?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

BudgetQueen -
It looks like I could fly into Juneau and ferry down to Ketchikan, then fly from Ketchikan to Anchorage for a drive down to Seward for a few days...
This would involve flying to and from Anchorage from the lower 48 and then taking an Alaskan Airlines oneway between Ketchikan and Anchorage. Three commercial plane rides. As I said above, this might be a bit much!
What has been your experience with the Alaskan Marine Highway? Would a Juneau to Ketchikan trip (with a cabin) be fun sometime?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Addendum to above.
I would fly to Juneau from Little Rock. Then ferry down to Ketchikan. Then fly from Ketchikan to Anchorage. And return back to LR from Anchorage. Still three flights but at least not backtracking into Anchorage! So... doable but maybe a bit hectic!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You'd be better off doing it in reverse - LIT-ANC-JUN/KTN-LIT, since the flight from Ketchikan to Anchorage is the "milk run" that makes three stops between KTN and ANC. Going in reverse, you can fly to Juneau nonstop from Anchorage, then nonstop from Ketchikan to Seattle, where all flights to LIT will connect.

Most if not all flights from Anchorage to the midwest/east (e.g. Continental to Houston then LIT) are now red-eyes, and it's too pretty a flight to miss because it's dark outside.