Alaska Itinerary-Fairbanks, Denali,Anchorage, Seward

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is an outline for Alaska travel plans in June 2009. My husband and I are visiting Alaska while he is tackling a motorcycle trip to Prudhoe Bay. I am flying in. I have dropped a tour from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. We already have my flight (I used skymiles so I booked that while I could).

Friday- I fly to Fairbanks (w/early Sat. morning 1:00am arrival)

Sat.- Fairbanks *DH finishing trip to PB.

Sun.- one day Arctic tour for me *DH should arrive from PS in Fairbanks on Sat or Sun.

Mon- Rest in morning, drive to Denali, visit a little in the first 15 miles

Tues- Denali bus

Wed- Denali, drive to Anchorage

Thurs- night in Anchorage or somewhere between Denali and Anchorage? Things to do in Anchorage?

Fri- drive to Seward *no plans to rush the drive, will make stops along the way at the various mile markers. Suggestions welcome.

Sat- Glacier tour (we know to take at least a 6 hour tour)

Sun- SeaLife Center, Exit Glacier

Mon- drive back to Anchorage *things to do along the return drive

Tues- fly home

Do you have a great activity/attraction you did between Denali and Anchorage? Thoughts on spending the night along the way to Anchorage or we could add another day south of Anchorage.

I have read about Portage Glacier, is that worth a stop if we are going to Exit Glacier? Whittier?

I have also read, not to be in Seward on the weekend, but I don't see an option around that. I just figure we need to make sure to book whatever activity we plan to do.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM

It seems that you will be doing the rest of the trip by car (you say drive) - so this is based on that.

We drove Denali to Seward in one day last June, stopping for lunch and a little scenery viewing. We drove north from Anchorage to Denali, stopping in Talkeetna for a few hours - considering length of your trip, I would not stop overnight between the 2. There was some quote in a guidebook saying "the best thing about Anchorage is that it is only a half hour from Alaska" - we did not find much of interest in Anchorage. Husband and son went on a half day hike. I think there are a couple of museums.

Between Anchorage and Seward there are is some nice scenery and in Girdwood a hotel with tram to top of a mountain.

In Seward I would add a one-day glacier and wildlife boat tour. We used Kenaifjords.com. I got really seasick but it was still worth it.

June is an incredible time to visit Alaska - it never gets really dark. We landed in Anchorage at 4 PM, it felt like 8 PM east coast time, and the sun looked like it was noon. Very energizing and a little body clock confusing.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 02:26 AM

From Denali to Anchorage: you might time lunch to a visit to Talkeetna. It's a small town with lots of original buildings. I think each place in AK has its own personality. We loved Independence Mine State Park. Worth the short detour. Restored buildings have some great photos and stories about this former booming mining town. You wonder how they built a town in the middle of nowhere. The Transportation Museum near Wasilla has a lot of info on early flight in AK. It's the kind of place that probably only appeals to someone interested in cars, planes, trucks, etc.
In Anchorage, stop by the lake where the sea planes are based. It's like a major marina in the lower 48 only planes. Anchorage has 3 airports, this is one of them. We haven't done much in Anchorage but if you didn't get lunch in Talkeetna, do so now. You have a variety of places to choose but there isn't much choice once you leave Anchorage.
Heading south to Seward the scenery is fantastic. Stop for a tram ride up Mt Alyeska. We've seen snow at the top in early August. The draw at Portage is the visitors center. Very interesting recordings of what is was like to be in the great earthquake.
You might be a little early for the salmon run in the Russian River. It will be empty of fishermen before the run but once it starts, parking is at a premium. I think traffic on the Seward Hwy for the weekend also depends a lot on fishing. Crowds in Seward will be heavier if a cruise ship is in port but they all go back to the ship for dinner. See if Hobo Jim is playing at one of the bars. He's quite a character.
There's a large craft/music fair in Girdwood around the 4th of July. (Forest Fair) Check the dates. It probably isn't during your visit.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 04:31 AM

I would spend the night between Denali and Seward in the Palmer/Wasilla area. Two of our trip highlights were a hike at Independence Mine State Park (up to a gorgeous alpine lake) and a stop at the Iditarod HQ where you get a short dog cart ride for $10 pp plus can pet the dogs/puppies. A bargain compared to the other Iditarod experiences. Plus, how can you go to Alaska now and NOT stop in Wasilla?
Another of our favorite Alaska things was a hikie in Girdwood between A and S. There is a hand tram there that you use to cross a gorge (i.e., you get in a little box and pull yourself across). Don't do this if you don't think you can get across! If you hike in from the gold mine side, you'll have a shorter hike. You can also hike in from the Alyeksa resort side.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 05:49 AM

<how can you go to Alaska now and NOT stop in Wasilla?>LOL! I'll be driving fast through Wasilla making sure I buy all I need in Anchorage and not Wasilla so I won't have to stop there.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM

tbsdebbie, you asked about what to do in Anchorage. I remember seeing a post that lists many things in Anchorage. Maybe you can search for it.

Your itinerary looks great. I don't know if I would go to Portage Glacier since you have so much already planned. I think after Denali and before Seward I rather go to Matanuska Glacier, spend a night in the area (Sheep Mountain Lodge or Tundra Rose Cabin) and take an evening hike on a glacier with MICA guides.

Where to the Arctic are you going on a day trip?

<Sun.- one day Arctic tour for me *DH should arrive from PS in Fairbanks on Sat or Sun.? What's PS
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM

I never recommend a single day drive Denali park/Seward. As listed there is so much to see and do. I would like to add to the list, a Eklutna Spirit House tour, just excellent.

As only a suggestion, you don't mention your Arctic Circle tour? I only recommend the fly/shuttle combos, the round trip buses are grueling and overall a so so tour at best.

I also think you can add more to your Fairbanks leaving day. It's only a 2 1/4 hour drive to Denali Park, so consider more activities at Denali park or Fairbanks.

For clairfication, the Kenai Fjords boat tours are NOT "glacier tours". Your glacier viewing is a very small portion of your overall trip. The highlight is varied wildlife. IF glaciers are a priority, then definately get on a Prince William Sound boat trip out of Whittier, with Prince William Sound tours, having the best run with Esther Passage. Depending on your timing, you may be able to add this from Anchorage on your routing?
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information!

Saturday- I am just going to check out around Fairbanks. I will have the day open. My husband suggested going to North Pole just for the fun of it. Or maybe I will just do the gold mine stuff. Any comments on either place?

I am doing a drive/fly to the Arctic circle on Sunday.

Monday, Tues, Wed- Denali

Wed afternoon-We are not driving straight through from Denali to Seward. Sorry for the confusion. We probably will stop in Talkeetna and Wasilla because they are along the route. They seem like some place to stop and wander a little.

The problem is we know we should make some hotel reservations and we are having a difficult time figuring out what route to wander.

Once we leave Denali in the afternoon on Wednesday, we drive south towards Anchorage.

Maybe we should look for a hotel in Wasilla or Talkeenta for Wednesday night, then head to Anchorage on Thursday?

Thursday night stay in Anchorage.

Friday night in Seward

Saturday and Sunday- ?

Monday night in Anchorage because flight is at 9am on Tuesday.

Here are things we want to do:
Seward- wildlife/glacier tour and sealife center, Exit Glacier (which I believe is just outside of Seward)

Anchorage- Native American Museum (that might not be the correct name)

Take our time driving between Anchorage to Seward.

<<Independence Mine State Park (up to a gorgeous alpine lake) and a stop at the Iditarod HQ where you get a short dog cart ride for $10 pp plus can pet the dogs/puppies>>
This sounds fun- where in our itinerary does this fit?

<<Stop for a tram ride up Mt Alyeska>> We want to add seeing this area. Suggestions on where to stay if we did this. I have read about the Mt. Allyeska hotel, not sure that is in my price range.

We think we only want one boat tour. Has anyone done the wildlife/glacier/fishing tour boat out of Seward?

Keep your thoughts coming. We appreciate your input. It has helped us think about our options and choices.

We are very excited about this trip!

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Talkeetna is a very small town. We left a hotel room to chance when we visited there thinking a Monday night wouldn't be as busy as the weekend. Visitor info helped us find a cottage to rent about 30 minutes away. Reasonable price but not near any restaurants or anything else. Independence Mine and Iditarod HQ are in the Wasilla area. Wasilla is about an hour north of Anchorage. Figure out how many miles you want to drive that day. Although Wasilla is a lot larger than Talkeetna, there are not a lot of choices for rooms and restaurants.
You can visit Alyeska/Girdwood the day you leave Anchorage. I think it's only 34 miles south of Anchorage and on your way to Seward. You would have plenty of time and could aim to have dinner in Seward. We took the 9 hour wildlife/glacier trip out of Seward and it was one of the high points of our visit.
Have you gotten a Milepost yet? It will help you plot your route and stops. The free visitor guides are also very helpful with mileage information and simple road maps.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 05:07 AM

For clairfication, "North Pole" is essentially a gift shop. There aren't any other "attractions". If going there, continue down the Richardson and stop at the Knotty Shop- free stuffed animal exhibit in the back, and sculpted burch animals in from. Diamond Willow, stuff for sale. Continue to Rika's Roadhouse as well.

Pick Talkeetna, Wasilla or Anchorage for your transit night. Makes little difference where?

In my opinion, a big part of Alaska touring is via water. There is little similiarity between the PWS boat tours and Kenai Fjords boat tours, and certainly both excellent to consider.

It shouldn't be hard to nail down this itinerary. In season, in my opinion, reservations are necessary.