Search

kayaking in Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kayaking in Kauai

We're leaving for our honeymoon in 18 days!! We're spending 5 days in Maui and 5 in Kauai. We'd like to kayak in Kauai but we're not sure where. We're pretty athletic and enjoy the outdoors. Should we do river kayaking or sea? I found 1 trip around the Na Pali coast that seemed cool. What does everyone suggest? Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 01:44 PM

.you'll surely have fun either way.

Be careful with any abraised skin in the streams. There is a moderate risk of Leptospirosis. The salinity(i think) of the ocean water takes away this risk. I've kayaked around hanalei and wailua areas a couple times. This was not strenuous..but it was pretty darn hot and sunny so don't ferget the sunscreen!

I've yearned to do the napali paddle, but it can be technically quite challenging with very powerful ocean mana there. Definately do the hike up to hanakapiai falls, though, unless it's really raining inland. That is a challenge, but you can do it at your own pace and the stream hike up to the awesome falls is very memorable. You can also scope out the tiny, exhausted kayakers hundreds of feet below you and see what you think!

We split our honeymoon 5 years ago 50/50 maui-kauai, too! We always seem to gravitate back to kauai, for some reason, even though maui was fabulous. We'll be there with our 20 month old shortly after your dates this year.

Have fun! Where are you staying? (A great hiking book is "Hiking Kauai: The Garden Isle" by Robert Smith and, of course, Wizard Pub's "Ultimate Kauai" www.wizardpub.com)

aloha, cousin annie
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. A friend gave us the Hiking book and we have the Kauai Uncovered or something. We're spending 3 nights at a condo at the SeaLodge in Princeville and then our last 2 nights at the Hyatt in Poipu. I can't wait. Only 11 days until our wedding. Have fun on your trip!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM

You guys will have sooo much fun. This is prob'ly obvious to most, but if you have real yummy smelling legs, the mosquitos like them even more, especially up north. Some of the worst attacks came at dinner tables..a spritz of bug spray on the legs helps!

We tried to get sealodge D7 for our sept trip..but i didn't respond fast enough and someone else snapped it up. Which unit did you get? We ended up south in wailua/kapaa(at the Lae Nani) and then up to the Princeville hotel for the last few days. ahh..heaven.

I have heard that the Hyatt is a great place to stay and get pampered. Congratulations..have a wonderful time with the wedding and your trip!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM

sea_wahine.........need a very cool teacher for surfing lessons in Hanalei in 2 weeks....help! [email protected]
Mahalo, sorry for crashing cd! Couldn't talk anyone into joining me on the napali kayak this year......but I'm heading in my 40's!! Old and tired!!!