Kauai with small children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- I'd love some activities we can participate in with our 3 1/2 year old and 7 1/2 month old in Kauai.

I was hoping to take a boat/ocean tour but am not having luck finding anyone that will take children under 5.

We have traveled extensively with both children, including travel to Europe; we are an athletic couple with a great kid hiker/carrier and we make excellent use of our mai-tai carriers. We plan on hiking!

We are well prepared for mosquitoes, sunshine, and mud (I've read one too many posts cautioning parents about this).

We really were looking forward to seeing the Na Pali coast via the ocean! Any suggestions?

TIA!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM

You may want to buy a book on hiking Kauai. I had one but forgot the name. Do a search. It would probably give you a good idea of what hikes are doable with your children. You could decipher from the decriptions. In any case the book was very helpful.

Also, you may want to check out the Poipu beach area and I believe there was a blow hole of sorts in that area as well.

We did horseback riding in Princeville. I'm sure your children would love that too!

Have fun!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM

We did a snorkeling cruise with Fairwinds. I checked their website and they allow infants and toddlers.

www.fair-wind.com/II_fw_overview.htm
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! The Fairwinds cruise looks fantastic, and it's great to know someone does day tours with small children- however, that is the big island, and we're going to Kauai. If we ever go back to the big island I'll remember that one!

If anyone knows of such a cruise at Kauai, that would be fantastic!

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Please choose your hiking trails carefully if you'll be taking the children. Our Na Pali trail is very non-forgiving...one slip, and you could fall to your death on the beach or rocks below. I don't mean to sound morbid, but one of our island's most experienced hikers fell off the trail just a couple of weeks ago, and perished. There are hiking trails which are fun, yet safe for children. Any of our local sport supply stores can help you choose the one that's right for you.

With the ages of your children, I can recommend Lydgate Park too -- two large playgrounds (one near the main beach; the other just down the road).

And be sure to bring sunscreen for the kids -- nothing worse than getting burnt on day one, and then having to avoid the beaches from that point on. Have a _wonderful_ visit!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Duh - slap on the head!!!! We were in Kauai several months ago, but for some reason I had the BI Fairwinds trip (two years ago) stuck in my head. Sorry!

I will second the recommendation for Lydgate Park. My children are older than your two, but they loved the playground. Your 3 1/2 year old will have a blast.

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM
sistahlou

Amen what Auntie said. No doom and gloom, just hard truths. Kauai can be dangerous.

Hiking on Kauai can be dangerous and having a baby strapped on will not help them, when you are slippsliding away on the mud, not to mention mudslides. And don't even get me started on the ocean safety.

There are plenty of beaches that are mini hikes to get to. Just use extreme caution, as sometimes; common sense on the mainland and common sense in the middle of the pacific are two different things.

As far as boating, perhaps a river kayak tour. There are many good reasons why a 7 1/2 month old and a 3 1/2 are not recommended for the waters of Kauai on boating excursions. It just isn't wise. Either find a local babysitter, or wait until they are older and return to enjoy the things you missed.

There is truly so much to see and enjoy, but most long hikes and ocean excursions just dont' fit in with that age - safety wise. Never did the pipeline but that may be a possible hike. Go to your bookstore and research the different travel books, or your local extreme sport stores.

You will love Kauai. Again no doom and gloom intended, just want you to realize the dangers. A hike to Hideaways, Secret, Donkey Beaches are all lovely and short.

Have a wonderful trip and happy planning. I'm going to top an island safety thread with sites to visit to make and keep you prepared for your visit.
Sistah