Kauai Waterfalls & Movie Theater

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH is an amateur photographer, and would like to shoot some of the gorgeous waterfalls in Kauai. Any recommendations where we should go? Also, does anyone know about a movie theatre in Kauai that is supposed to be like stepping back in time? We are movie buffs, and this sounds like fun. Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:33 AM

The stepping-back-in-time movie theater is in Waimea. They only have movies in the evenings.

For a very funky theater experience, try the Kilauea Theater. The few times I was there we were lucky enough to snag one of the couches! I have seen dogs wander through the audience there.

Best waterfalls for photographing are probably Wailua Falls (de plane! de plane!) and Opaeka'a Falls. If you are lucky enough to be in Hanalei after a big rainstorm you may see 20 or more long, graceful falls cascading off the cliffs and hillsides.

There is a very picturesque waterfall on the side of the highway between Kilauea and P-Ville but access has been restricted and its now very dangererous to photograph. But if you drive slow where the speed limit drops, you will be able to see it hugging the cliff right next to the road.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:37 AM

Yikes, vivi!

As a north shore Kaua`i resident, I can tell you that we have too many rear-end collisions at the Kalihiwai Falls because of tourists doing exactly what you are suggesting here.

Do NOT pull over or slow down to photograph our roadside waterfalls, folks -- unless you want to have your vacation marred by a collision, 'kay?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:53 PM

I didn't mean to suggest stopping and photographing this waterfall. My post said the access is restricted and it's dangerous to photograph. The county used to have a parking area so people could get out and photograph but it was closed a few years ago. The speed limit drops dramatically when coming up/down the hill and it is possible to see the falls right next to the road while passing by in the car at the posted speed limit. ( BTW, I was not referring to Kalihiwai Falls.)
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:42 PM

Why is the Waimea movie a step back in time? Is it working making a special effort to go to it?

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:20 PM

That should have been: Is it worth making a special effort to go to?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM

wauhob3:

Waimea Theater was closed forever...then a local family got the community together to renovate and reopen it. Not a "grand" renovation, but at least it's open again. It's kinda funky...an assortment of seating, including comfy sofas!

It's great for the west side folks to have a movie theater -- first-run films are shown every night, and on weekend afternoons.

Kilauea Theater didn't get quite the same treatment -- but does offer 2 large sofas for seating at the back of the theater.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the information. We might try this instead:
Saturday Nights
> Sunset Cinema "Theater under the stars" a traveling outdoor movie theater.
> Doors open 6pm, movie time is 7:45pm. Huge inflatable screen, theater
> quality sound and a powerful projector showing family to surf to art house
> movies. Audience members are encouraged to bring blankets and coolers,
> creating a Kauai-style Dinner Theater. For information, movies and
> locations call 808-246-8830.

Although the first Saturday we are going to the Prince Kuhio Day's Luau