Kaua'i - Short Review

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:38 PM
beachbum

Kaua'i - Short Review

This will be short, and qualified with an admission that we (inappropriately) compared Kaua'i with French Polynesia, where we've been several times previously; we expected to be laying on a beach, swimming and snorkeling in the ocean/lagoon.

Weather: Ugghh! Maybe this review would be different if it hadn't rained 5 of the 7 days.

Food:
Best meal of week - Beach House;
Best local food - Linda's, Hanapepe;
Best ethnic food - Hamura's Saimin, Lihue.

Fun Stops:
Jo Jo's Shave Ice, Waimea;
Taro Chip Factory, Hanapepe.

Best Activities:
Helicopter tour of island;
Catamaran to Napali Coast and Niihau;
(Notice I'm not including snorkeling. I might include Waimea Canyon if I didn't think it odd sightseeing at a canyon when you're on vacation in the S.Pacific).

Summary comparison to French Poly (for Kal):
Snorkeling - there is none!
Beaches - better sand on Kaua'i, but nothing better than the lagoons of FP;
Photography - on Kaua'i you have to look for the good photos, in FP they find you;
Overall - I've never been bored in FP, even in the rain. On Kaua'i, without the TV......

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:55 PM
AmIMissingSomething?

Let me get this straight - you're not include Waimea Canyon as one of your favorite activities simply because you found it odd that it would be found on an island in the Pacific?

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:30 PM
Ed

We're thinking of going over for our first trip. Now I don't know because we've heard a lot of stories where it had rained all the time some of our friends went over there.
5 out of 7 days of rain would give me a bad opinion of any location. Especially if we had to travel from the east.
Do you think it would have been better if it didn't rain?
Where did you stay? A Condo?

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:39 PM
Trixie

Kauai was by far our favorite island (we've been to all of them). Laid back and we thought a lot to explore and see. It was the only place we felt like we got to mix with the locals and eat local food. The other islands were much more touristy. It rained late each afternoon. We were there in the month of February. Days were gorgeous and hot. Made my husband put the top up on the convertible--I was cooking.

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:59 PM
Aunt Jennie

Beachbum, Did you stay on the north side of Kaua'i? While there are storm systems that move across the islands that can wet the entire place for days, in general, the south side is significantly drier than the north side of Kaua'i.

We snorkeled a lot of places in Kaua'i and it was our children's favorite activity. The water was as clear as a tropical acquarium and the fish brightly colored and beautiful. Guess the rain messed that up for you.

We loved Kaua'i. I'm sure we'd go nuts over French Polynesia or the Cook Islands, but they are a LOT farther away.

Ed, don't give up on Hawaii. Most people hit better weather. You might want to check into what is the rainy/dry season before making your plans. We had great weather in March, when we went. I've had friends go every year for many, many years at Christmas, and only had constant rain ruin their trip one time.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:11 PM
metoo

You must have been there the same time I was - last week.
I had rain every day. That's right, everyday. Even on the south side.

Oh well, I'll just have to go back.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:47 AM
beachbum

We stayed at the Marriott, which is in Lihue, Ed. Supposedly between the wetter north and sunny, drier south. Nice place, but not what I expected. Obviously, had the weather been better, we could have enjoyed more of the water activities we went for.

AmiMissing, Waimea was a Plan B or C activity for us that moved to the top because of the weather. I don't go to the S. Pacific to sightsee canyons. It was cool, yes, but I would rather have been doing other island appropriate activities.

Aunt J, we really had only one chance to snorkel. And because of weather, water was a little and murky. My original post didn't intend to say there is no snorkeling in Kaua'i, just that there is no comparison between snorkeling in Kaua'i and FP. That was clear to us in spite of the weather. You might wanna try FP: 7 1/2 hours from LAX. Not really that much farther.

Trixie, I agree. Locals on Kaua'i are great. We especially enjoyed conversations with locals at the "Fair" in Kapa'a, and the Taro Chip Factory in Hanapepe. And it's been a while since I've been to the other islands, but I'm sure they're more touristy than Kaua'i. Even so, to compare to French Poly, think Kaua'i 50 years ago.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:09 AM
kal

Alohaaa all,
B'bum- Wadda B-bummer! If you could go 5 for 7 in major league baseball, you'd be a gazzilionaire!
I do love golfing at The Grove right after a good rain so you can see all of the waterfalls coming down the green velvet mountainsides.

Hanapepe is one place on Kauai where we really haven't spent that much time. I have promised Mrs Kal that we'd go to the "Friday Night Artist" show this next trip.

FPoly is still on my "to do" list, tho.
Maybe for my 50th? Still considering going to Midway Isl, too.

As for "50yrs ago", Molokai in '89 was described to us as "Hawaii 50yrs ago" and it wasn't too far from the truth.

Right now, we're in an "Anywhere BUT here" mood. The 3-day weekend can't come soon enough!
Mucho mahalos,
Kal

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:18 AM
Suzie

Kal, gettin excited for the big event? An old friend used to describe it as "listening to two cats being stapled together". Hope you find the good tunes!

Beachbum: Sorry to hear about the bummer weather. We expected better weather when we went in Sept. It was way windy the whole time and the water was all churned up so no snorkeling for us either. I loooooove the Beach House!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:47 AM
xxx

Let me get this straight you expected French Polynesia during Kauai's rainy season?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:08 AM
shandra

I'm curious to find out where specially you have been in FP. We are considering going there for our next trip. Any suggestions would be great.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:14 AM
qqq

xxx,
Let me get this straight; you think May and Sept. are in Kauai's rainy season?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:39 AM
xxx

qqqq May definitely, September probable certainly towards the end. Any guidebook will tell you the same thing. Rainy season is October/November to May. For me it made senst with Kauai's tricky eco system not to book anything too near October or May.

Honolulu Star Bulletin put out information that anticipates an increased chance for tropical storms and hurricanes this summer and a dry winter. I think I saw that about a month ago. They were already seeing flooding and unusual warm water temperatures. I know I saw it here all over this forum. Kauai also houses the wettest spot of earth so of course there will not be a large window of time with blocks of sunny weeks.

As for underwater life you had to know that French Polynesia is probably only rivaled by the red sea or I am guessing the great barrier reef. Sorry you had such a bad trip but do think some of your experiences were the result of your planning. I only go to Kauai in July and August maybe late June early September but not this year due to El Nino warning.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:32 PM
Dick

You have to look for the good photos in Kauai? ARe you kidding?. Do you realize how many movies have been filmed there because of the scenery?

Even the average photographer should have no trouble finding plenty of subject matter for photos. After my first visit, I took a tripod with me to get several frameable photos.

Perhaps you should take a photo course (I'm serious..this isn't meant as a "put down"). I took some courses with an award winning professional photographer, and he made me see my surroundings in a whole new light.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:35 PM
xxx

BTW the weather reports you get once on Kauai are obviously geared for people traveling. I did get more than usual rain in August, did not spoil vacation but it was surprising. Everyday during the rain the weather station on the TV said it was sunny even though it was pouring buckets. Always had enough sun for a good day but stronger than usual morning showers.

I guess you just can't expect FP anywhere. I hear people compare some coastal areas in Canada and the Northwest to Hawaii. Just can't do that each are special and different. This is your travel moral of this story.

Someone just the other day on this forum was asking if the road to Hana was anything like the ring of Kerry. You can't make the comparison each place is special and unique it it’s own right.

Last moral preaching:

I find that the best travel I have ever had in my life came when I had no expectations. The minute I put sky high expectations on a place like PARIS I have a rotten trip. Expect the worst, Turkey and had the trip of a lifetime. Hopefully his trip taught you the same. Good luck next time...

I always like to find ways to have fun if I am caught anywhere in the rain. But I already promised you, NO MORE LECTURES.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:30 PM
beachbum

Aloha (and Ia'orana)

Okay, okay, okay......thanks for the input! I didn't mean to leave an impression that I didn't enjoy Kaua'i; I did. But I couldn't help comparing it to FP. As you wrote xxx, I know that expectations about travel are everything. I've run into the reverse in FP; people expect it to be like Hawaii; it ain't!!

Historically, May is the 4th or 5th driest month of the year, so I didn't think I'd see nearly as much rain as we did. Must be El Nino. I'll bet we had the average month of May rainfall in the week we were there.

And Dick, comparatively, yes. You'll have to travel to FP to understand. I have taken photography classes, so I understand what you're saying. But for me, it seemed in FP that no matter where I was, I would turn 45 degrees, and there was another postcard photograph. Unbelievable. Kaua'i has it's share, but they just didn't jump out at me.

Kal, you really gotta go to FP. And your 50th sounds excuse enough to me. Calm, crystal clear lagoons of 80+ degree water, in colors you can't imagine........ That and the Hinano! You should do Friday night in Hanapepe next time on Kaua'i too; it's a kick.

Shandra, over the years we've been to a lot of places, many of which you've probably not heard about. As a first timer, I'd suggest Moorea and/or Bora Bora, and for that deserted S.Pacific island feel, Rangiroa.

Thanks again all.....I'm out!

Old May 24th, 2002, 10:35 AM
kal

B'bum,
Will try! No promises. We've been very lucky with our stays on Kauai but it just may be time to venture outside the "vacation comfort zone"!
My in-laws spent some time on Manhini and then Moorea, BB etc and they raved about Manhini, especially the remoteness. Ahhhhhhhh.
Kal