Kauai Property Advice

Search

Kauai Property Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Property Advice

We are planning on renting the Donohugh Cottage (1 br oceanfront) in the Poipu area of Kauai. The property is managed by Glorias Vacation Rentals. Does anyone have any feedback on this property? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM

I know the property - near the small snorkeling beach in front of the Beach House Restaurant on the road out to Spouting Horn, across from the Lawai Beach Resort. Quiet road for the most part, but the boat launch is at the end and sometimes there are bouts of loud traffic headed down there - you know, racing motors, that sort of thing. Not quite enough to be annoying. A nice walking area, sidewalks and a long grass strip across the street with no homes on it and a view of the hills. Great sunsets from that area. Doubt there's a swimming beach directly in front of the cottage but the beach I mentioned nearby is a popular one for swimming and snorkeling, though quite small, and can get crowded on nice days. I can't remember if there is a fence of some sort between the cottage and the beach area as I'm pretty sure it's the first cottage just past that beach, so privacy could be a concern. The turtles like to play in the waves in that area - we stayed in a cottage just down from there (through GVR - a reputable company) that is unfortunately not being rented out any longer.
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your feedback. Very helpful. I will contact the property management with a few questions. We are renting during the holiday season, so the prices are quiet high at $325 per night. Many places I've called are already booked. In your opinion, is this a good choice? Thanks
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM

That's the area we've stayed in our last three trips to Kauai, so it is our preference. Weather is a big factor as it's some of the driest on the island down in that location. Last time we stayed at Whalers' Cove which is in a very quiet area - you can see this is of huge importance to me. I think I would ask Gloria's about the proximity to the beach there as far as having beachgoers right off the property, but that's about the only drawback I can think of. The price may be high, but I do recall it looking like a nice cottage too. I think we paid about $250/night for ours which was just down the road and smaller (I think ...). And we were there in mid-January, not busy holidays, so you probably are doing all right. Travel is UP and prices are there, too
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Kal

Ditto 'chips on the beach by the Beach House...
very nice for snorkeling/swimming but pretty small so go early to get a good place.