Kauai accommodation questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I wanted to thank everyone who posted a reply to my original posting regarding planning an anniversary trip to Kauai and Maui/Hawaii next summer. I think it got 50 replies. Your input was really helpful. Although it's still quite a ways away, we're beginning to narrow things down regarding accommodations. We've decided on 6 nights in Kauia and 6 nights on the Big Island (instead of Maui). For Hawaii, we've decided to splurge on a nice resort and stay at the 4 Seasons in a golf-view room. Thought this would be nice as this will be our only trip to Hawaii.

For Kauai, we'd like something smaller and more intimate - a B&B or beach cottage. We're currently looking at Gloria's B&B, Secret Beach Cottages or Hale Ah'a. Gloria's looks fabulous, but I think we'd prefer to stay on the North Shore. Both Secret Beach and Hale Ah'a look amazing. Any preferences from people who have seen both? Which place has a better location and better beach? We don't mind having to walk to the beach. Also, are there any other upscale cottages or rental houses that we should look at? We were really looking for something more Hawaiaan in decor, but it seems hard to find. Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:22 PM

Take a closer look at Secret Beach. I'm not just blown away by Gloria's location.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:02 PM

There aren't many places like Secret Beach Cottages. It is a unique place. There is a review on tripadvisor you should read.
-Bill
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:38 PM

If it makes any difference to you, Secret Beach Cottages are secluded, Glorias has a road within a few feet of the front door.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:17 PM

Hale `Aha is no longer in the B&B business (violation of local zoning and homeowners' association regulations).

Gloria's is -- as has been reported -- is merely feet away from the main (busy) Po`ipu road to Spouting Horn. Noisy, noisy, noisy.

Secret Beach Cottages -- although on a beach which isn't a "secret" to any local (or a tourist with a guidebook) -- is lovely and secluded.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Looks like we'll look at the Secret Beach cottages. I've read wonderful reviews in the fodors archive and on trip advisor. How far in advance should we consider reserving? Looks like it books up fast.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

One more thing. I'm sorry to hear about Hale Ah'a. It looked like a beautiful place. Surprised they still have the site up. Thanks again.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:21 AM
bonniebroad

What's the website for Secret Beach Cottages? When I google, I get a potpourri of stuff!

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:33 AM
stjohnbound

http://secretbeachkauai.com/about.html

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:51 AM

I think SBC takes reservations up to a year in advance.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:09 AM
bonniebroad

stjohnbound, thank you for the info. OMG, I just looked at these cottages, and they are amazing!!! I would probably only stay a couple of nights at those rates, but WHAT A PLACE! This place is truly stunning........

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

I agree. They really do look amazing - but steep in price when you add the tax and housekeeping fee. I'll keep this in mind, but does anyone have a second choice that's just a little less expensive? Something in the $300 per night range? Also, I know that Hale Ah'a is not operating as a B&B anymore. But, do they still rent rooms? I've seen them listed on many vacation rental sites.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
stjohnbound

How about a condo? Check out the Pua Poa units in Princeville. They all look awesome!

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:18 AM

B&B establishments are not allowed in Princeville -- but there may be some in Hanalei, Wainiha or Ha`ena.

If a condo could subsitute, I'd recommend Pali Ke Kua (great ocean views, plus mountains and Hanalei Bay), or Pu`u Poa (oceanviews, and units which are very upscale).

There are many, many beach cottages available for rent through companies such as Kaua`i Vacation Rentals, Na Pali Properties, and North Shore Properties.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:25 AM

Suggest you start doing searches for cottages and rentals on the north shore. There is a pretty good selection out there in your price range. Kauai Vacation Rentals, Hanalei North Shore Properties and Anini Aloha would be good places to start.
-Bill
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 08:45 AM

I have stayed twcie at Gloria's B & b. It is not noisy. The rooms face the Ocean with balconies. You can hear the waves crashing. The rooms are docorated nice and the breakfasts are very good. My husband and I stay 2 or 3 nights at Glorias then drive up to the North shore and stay 3 or 4 nbights there. You may want to do this as Secret Beach is so expensive.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation for Kauai Vacation Rentals. I'm looking at the following cottages:

www.kauai-vacation.com/static/37.html
www.kauai-vacation.com/static/329.html
www.kauai-vacation.com/static/275.html
www.kauai-vacation.com/static/269.html

Sorry- not sure how to add a link to this message.

I've received good recommendations for both Hale Walea and Haena Hale. Has anyone stayed there or know anything about it? Hale Walea has been recommended to be by 2 rental companies, but very few photos exist. I also like Makoa Hideaway. Would appreciate any feedback from those who know more about these places. Tough decision because they're all nice. Also is Haena a nice area to stay in? It looks very peaceful.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:30 AM

longtail:
We recently spent quite a bit of time in the Haena area on this past trip and really liked it. It is very quiet and beautiful. The closest stores and restaurants are 10 minutes away in Hanalei. Makua (Tunnels) Beach is in this area as is Ke'e beach. We too are looking at renting a place here or in Hanalei for next summer. We were able to look at the outside of Hale Walea while we were at the beach and it looked nice. We inquired about trying to book this house for next summer and have been told that the owners usually book it 6 months out. What were you told?
-Bill
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

iamq:

Thanks for the information. I thought Haena looked nice and quiet. Just what we are looking for. I contacted Kauai Vacation Rentals to inquire about next June and was told that the only opening is 5/14-6/9. The rest of June is already booked. There is also a note on their site that says this particular cottage is very popular, so book early. I'm getting the idea that a lot of places book up well in advance. Can you tell me more about Hale Walea? I don't really have a sense of what is looks like. Did you have a chance to peek inside? There are no pictures of the bedroom, kitchen or living area.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM

longtail,
Hale Walea is the last house just before Haena Beach Park. It is a pole house, which means it is elevated above the ground about ten feet on poles. It is set back from the beach about 100 feet with palm trees, plants and a lawn seperating it from the beach. I would imagine it has a great view from the lanai. There is a vacant lot on one side and another house not too close to it on the other side. The house and the gardens appeared to be very well cared for. For a one bedroom house it appeared to be large. It had a large covered lanai in the back. It was occupied while we were there, so I did not get a chance to look inside. My guess would be that it is not fancy, but clean and well cared for, like the outside. It is on a nice stretch of beach. The really nice, reef protected snorkeling section (summer only)is about a five minute walk down the beach to your right. While we were there the beach area directly infront of the house was pretty calm with gentle waves. I understand that in the winter months this place really rocks. We thought it would be a nice place to stay. Hope this helps.
-Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -