Reload this Page >

Kauai/Maui Honeymoon - Just Returned

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 1999, 03:18 PM
roger

Just back from 5 nights on Kauai and 6 nights on Maui and these are my thoughts. Without a doubt, always wear sun screen. Everything else is only my opinion. On the connection in Honolulu, get on an earlier flight if you can, your bags will come through on the flight you were scheduled for but with the extra time on Kauai you will be able to deal with the car rental. Get the Ultimate Kauai Guide Book. It was like having your own tour guide along with you. Stayed at the Princeville and would not consider staying elsewhere. You might be able to get more sunshine or more tropical grounds at the Hyatt or elsewhere (along with more kids) but the scenery at the Princeville might be hard to match any where in the world. If the weather breaks your way, it is paradise. The town of Hanalei is like Woodstock on the water. Play the Prince Course - only surpassed by Pebble Beach in my experiences. Do the hike along the Kalalau Trail. This was much better than I expected with jungle feel along cliffs. Can be muddy and steep. Takes 2 miles (approx 1.5 hours) to get to the beach but even the 0.5 mile marker is spectacular. Believe it or not (and I know this will be controversial), I think the helicopter ride is overrated. Maybe I expected too much, but we definitely enjoyed the hike more. Flew with Air Kauai and even sat in the front seat. It was still great but not quite what I or my wife expected based on other comments. Great snorkeling on the North Shore. Tunnels was great and the reef in front of the Princeville was also fantastic. Kee Beach was beautiful with the softest sand I found on the North Shore and a lot of trees. Beach House was top restaurant choice (including Maui) and make reservation several days ahead of time for sunset timing with ocean front seating. Very romantic and great food. Also liked Hanalei Dolphin and Casa di Amici. Thought Princeville seafood buffet was a disappointment. A large amount of food all of which could be prepared better. Thought the Princeville luau was great (even better if you don't have to drive because of the open bar). On Maui, stayed at the Four Seasons which was great. The best lobby and grounds we saw in Hawaii. Very social atmosphere around the pool and beach. Lots of things complimentary that would cost lots elsewhere. For example, there was no charge to have them set up the tennis ball machine for an hour on the roof top court. Other hotel thoughts in my fodors reply to posting regarding Four Seasons alternatives. Would recommend sunrise bike ride down volcano and hiking through the bamboo forest to the 400' waterfall at the end of the Road to Hana. Roy's was best food and service on both Islands but Beach House got nod for best overall because of setting. Pacifico was nice but food was not in the same class. The ocenfront seating at Ferraros in the Four Seasons was very romantic and the food was great too. Harry's Sushi in Wailea was surprisingly good (get the Ahi Poke appetizer if listed as a special).

Old May 3rd, 1999, 05:03 PM
bexter

Roger, I completely agree that the helicopter tour was overrated. I went with the same company. Unlike you, I sat in back and always wondered if that was the reason , but I see you sat in front. It's not that it isn't an interesting thing to do, it's just that it is very expnsive and for many people, who may have to chose one or two special activities, I think the boat trip along the Na Pali coast might be much more fun--IMHO. In her excellent book "Kauai Underground Guide" the author, Lenore Horowitz, "dares" to say the same thing. I wonder if you and your wife took a boat trip too? Also, yes, the Princeville luau is fantastic, lower key but much better food than the big commercialized one I went to nr. Honolulu. Enjoy married life; many happy future trips to you!!

Old May 3rd, 1999, 05:54 PM
annemarie

Seems to be I answered your posting when you were in the decision-making phase. I am glad you had a terrific time at both of these properties! Good luck on any future endeavours. Annemarie

Old May 4th, 1999, 05:39 AM
roger

Did not do a boat trip. Had one scheduled for the last day but canceled. After many activities, we figured our time was better spent just hanging out at the Princeville beach and pool. They served us lunch at our chairs on the beach. By the way, there are still a couple of companies running boat trips out of Hanalei Bay. Thanks for your thoughts annemarie, we went with the Four Seasons and we were glad we did.

Old May 4th, 1999, 07:15 PM
Amy

Concerning the 1st half mile of the Kalalau Trail- how steep is steep? And how muddy was it? Did you have to cross streams? Is it worth just hiking the first 1/2 mile? Do you know once you've reached that point? My husband & I (in 20's) are going in Sept. and are interested in the hike. We appreciate any help.

Old May 5th, 1999, 05:46 AM
roger

If you are in your 20's and in decent shape it should be no problem. There were people of all ages, shapes, and sizes on the trail. Although I saw a couple of people hiking in Tevas I would recommend hiking boots. Wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty (I threw out my socks). The trail was just steep enough to make it a good workout and to cause you to be careful if it was muddy. A couple of streams where you had to step on rocks to cross with a big one at the beach 2 miles in. I think all were after the 0.5 mile mark. Muddy stretches at various intervals that may be better or worse depending on how much rain there has been. We were glad we went the full 2 miles. Great views along the way and lots of fun taking a dip at the end. The two mile hike (and probably more the extra 2 miles to the waterfall) felt very much like an outing unto itself. About 3.5-4 hours if you allow for some time at the beach. The 0.5 mile hike could probably be done as part of a day hanging out at Kee Beach which wouldn't be too bad either. The view from the 0.5 mile mark (and there is a mile marker there) is the first spot where you have a clear view in both directions.

Old May 5th, 1999, 01:15 PM
Kendell

Hi Roger,

I was wondering how your trip went-now I know. I gave you some pointers, and sent a fax to you when you were wondering about Kauai. Sounds like you tried quite a bit of our recommendations. Sorry to hear about helicopter trip and seafood buffet. We have tried both twice,and were impressed both times. We have been to Kauai 6 times, and I just booked again today for next year. I will say that the restaurants change from year-to-year, so you always have to get an update. Where is the Beach House?

Old May 6th, 1999, 08:37 AM
roger

Hi Kendell,

Thanks for all you information, it was very helpful. The Beach House is on the south shore west of Poipu on the way to Spouting Horn. Affiliated and shares the same menu with A Pacific Cafe (one located in Kapaa) with a spectacular ocean front location and only a manicured lawn between the restaurant and water. We got lucky and there was a cancellation about 15 minutes after our arrival at 6:00, otherwise there was an hour wait. We were told that this time slot often is booked several days ahead of time.

Old May 6th, 1999, 06:22 PM
Sherri

We just went to Kauai in February and atet at the Beach House. It was a wonderful dining experience with
a breathtaking view. Expensive, yes. I would go there again in a heartbeat!
Sherri

Old May 9th, 1999, 12:34 PM
kendell

Hi,

I know that Kauai has made several restrictions in the past couple of years concerning helicpoter and boat ries (due to environmental restrictions). I'm not sure how that affected your helicopter ride. We have done both raft tour and helicopter a few years ago. Thought the helicopter tour was excellent; boat/raft tour is very good, just a different perspective. Interesting to hear about the luau at Princeville Resort. We usually stay at Hanalei Bay Resort and can hear their celebration full force. Maybe next time (already booked for next year-7th trip), we will say 'if you can't beat them, join them'. We leave for French Polynesia soon (Moorea and Bora Bora).

Kendell