Reload this Page >

Is a rental car necessary on Oahu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 1999, 02:45 PM
Shawn

My wife and I are going to visit a friend on Oahu this year and will be staying with the friend in Kailua. I've read various items and watched the Fodor's video and they mentioned a rental car is not really necessary. Since Kailua is on the windward side away from most of the busy areas, would it still be easy to get around without a rental car? I tend to want to be independant when it comes to a car, but I'd rather not waste money on one if it is not necessary. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Old May 7th, 1999, 09:05 AM
Jenny

We visit Hawaii once a year and I would definitely recommend a car unless you have no desire to sightsee. My favorite part of our trip each year is a Round-Island trip in the car. The bus system is good, but not practical for a tourist. In my opinion, the car is well worth it.

Old May 7th, 1999, 01:00 PM
Rene

Hi Shawn, TheBus will take you around the whole island for about 1 dollar. Ive always stayed in Waikiki and have never needed a car. Im not sure about Kailua, but you can check their website www.thebus.org Hope this helps

Old May 8th, 1999, 03:41 PM
fran

I regreted not getting a car, as we did on the outer islands. Oahu is large and to see it you will need a car. It is not like NY or Vegas where everything is a taxi/subway/bus away.

Old May 9th, 1999, 11:49 AM
Kendell

Hi,

Unless your friend can drive you, you will need a car to get out and about.

Old May 9th, 1999, 06:19 PM
Cheryl Z.

Shawn - we usually get a rental because we like to get out of Waikiki and see the rest of the island. But if you're staying with a friend, I would presume he'd be taking you around at least part of the time. Buses are cheap and easy too. And there are tours. You could always rent a car at the last minute if you felt you really needed it.