Reload this Page >

Kauai Marriott - what's a good rate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Will

In other words, say for Feb 2003, how do you know if you're being offerred a good price for a standard mt view room for two? Also, have read some criticisms of it -- are the rooms clean and luxurious or rundown and shabby?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Kara

TTP because I have basically the same questions. Anyone know?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Dave

Someone told me their room came with a car, but they didn't say what they paid. Anyone know also, what tower to request?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:59 AM
beachbum

I was there in May on a deal where they tried to sell you a time-share for the new place they're building in Poipu. Five nights, including car and $100 of gift certificates: $700 total for two. Too good to pass up.

Rooms are clean, but not luxurious. Not run-down or shabby either, but beginning to show their age. The thing that most surprised me about the place was the food service. They advertise as having four "restaurants" on site, but Duke's, which is not operated by Marriott, is the only one where you get a decent meal for the price.

The other thing that bothered me a little is that the Marriott is situated on a bay. The beach is nice, but it doesn't open to the infinity view of the ocean you might like.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Will

Thanks. That does sound like an unbeatable price. How long was the timeshare presentation? Do you have any recommendations for which part of the hotel to request for your room?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:00 AM
beachbum

I don't think you'll get a choice, Will. They would have put us a garden room except that they were all full, so we ended up in a room billed as pool and partial ocean view. Trouble was that it was right a palm tree height so they obstructed any view we could have had. I can't find a map of the Marriott, but the tower we stayed in was the furthest left as you're looking towards the beach.

The time-share presentation was supposed to have been 90 minutes, but my wife seemed to interested and asked too many questions, so they put the screws to us for almost 3 hours. Oh well, it was raining that day anyway!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:42 AM
Sheryl

This may seem like an odd question -- but it's part of the budget. Can you sneak your own drinks in to the pool area? or do they have staff running around pushing the drinks with lots of ice, pop, and a touch of booze? About 8 years ago I stayed at the Marriott - I think it was Desert Hot Springs near Palm Springs, and the drinks around the pool thing was a real rip-off, but they did have live music.