Kauai Panic - Marriott Lihue

Nov 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Kauai Panic - Marriott Lihue

On a whim, my friend and I booked a week in December using her family's Marriott timeshare points. We got a place at the Marriott Lihue only to discover today that it has terrible TripAdvisor reviews in the last month. Construction and smelly painting, apparently. Anyone have any recent experience at this hotel? Anyone know how difficult (or expensive) it might be if we try to change hotels last minute? Thanks!
Nov 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM

we just had this same exact experience..
we had over 100k in points so we booked Marriot vacation club in Lihue with a 2bdr oceanfront but the TA reviews were so horrific and after prodding on the phone with the mgr at Marriott, we felt is wasn't worth it..accruing 100k in points is not easy and you don't want a lot of pool construction going on..plus rooms too!
so, we booked a deal on expedia at the Grand Hyatt Kauai and couldn't of been happier.
we had a suite with oceanfront views and after going there for drinks at Duke's..we are so glad we had spent our time at Grand Hyatt!
I would suggest going to the Marriott in Poipu vs. the Lihue location.
we just got back a couple of months ago.
Aloha
Nov 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

What did the property look like when you were there for drinks? Thanks so much for your response!!
Nov 22nd, 2009, 04:03 AM

I spent the morning on the grounds of the Marriott just 10 days ago. We were staying in Poipu, but the ocean was rough everywhere on the south shore and red flags were out on all the beaches. I can tell you that the beach, lawn, and pool area were just as wonderful as always. Other pluses for this Marriott are Dukes, and the central location.

We did notice painting trucks in the parking lot. I spoke to a couple who was staying in an oceanfront room. They loved it and were planning a return trip next summer with their kids.

If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room and the smell of paint and/or daytime noise would ruin your trip, then perhaps you should look elsewhere. If, on the other hand, your budget is tight and your stay is FREE using someone else's points, I would think that the Marriott is certainly a risk worth taking!
Nov 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM

Been to many Marriott timeshares and this had to be one of or the most beautiful of all. Was told it had the largest pool in all of the islands. Call the Marriott timeshare desk and find out what's going on. Poipu is beautiful too and that beach is rated one of the best beaches in the US.
Nov 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM

Melissa..
Call directly and speak to the GM and discuss your concerns.
I would state that you write on travel forums and you want to have the best experience and to let others know on the forums that it is (Marriott) is a great place to stay and hopefully, they will have you away from all the noise.
Drinks at Duke's was great but we were sure glad that we went to the Hyatt.
This was in September so maybe everything is done now.
The TA reports were horrific and for a 4* property, I couldn't believe how much the % of people just hated their experience.
Keep us posted and Aloha to you!
Nov 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM

also, if you move to another property, you have to let them know or there is a $$ penalty that was pretty costly if I recall..I think it was 2 weeks or 10 prior to arrival.

MarriottRewards.com
Nov 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!! I also exchanged some emails with the folks who posted on TripAdvisor and, unfortunately for us, it sounds like it's really just hit or miss with the rooms. If you end up next to a room that's being renovated, it's 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. pounding and drilling. If not, it's paradise. We called the Marriott and they told us that they can't assign us a particular location away from the construction because it's always moving and they never know where the workers are going to be working on any given day. They also said that we "should have known" about the construction because it's mentioned on their website. I looked again and somewhere in the written description, it does mention a $50 million renovation. Had we known this ahead of time, we definitely would have skipped the Marriott altogether. Who needs this kind of uncertainty for a relaxing vacation?

Anyway, I sincerely appreciate your replies. Our current plan is to try the Marriott and see how it goes, but we're also making refundable reservations for another property (Grand Hyatt or Koa Kea) for the remainder of the trip just in case. I'll definitely update this thread after the trip!
Nov 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM

Aloha..
The wording of the $50 million renovation is in such small print and you need to call the GM directly and talk to him and let him know that you are going to write a 'report' on your stay and trust me, when I discussed this with them, they knew logistics of that week as to the pool being drilled up and other things..
Don't let these idiots ruin your vacation!
I saw that it was so bad at the pool, that the bartender was giving out earplugs with the drinks..who the hell needs that kind of stuff when you are in paradise?..plus, have you ever stayed at a resort with renovations...it is a nightmare!
Koa Kea looks nice but it is pricey but Red Salt was excellent..why don't you switch your points over to the Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club in Poipu?
There is still time to switch..
Grand Hyatt is stunning but some of the rooms could use some renovations but the property is one of the best.
If you ask at the Front Desk, they gave us free breakfast coupons that were $56 for two and it was an excellent buffet that lasted you throughout the day...they have some good deals going on direct and we did expedia.
If you could get out of the Marriott, I would do it.
Love Kauai and the people are so wonderful with a lot of Aloha spirit!
Nov 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ksucat! We tried the Poipu location but they are booked SO... we're going to give it a go at the Lihue location for the first few days and then we have reservations for Koa Kea for the remainder of the trip. Got a great rate that includes breakfast so really looking forward to that. If the Marriott is hell, we'll just leave there earlier. Will let you know how it goes.

I haven't been to Kauai for about 5 years so am wondering if there are any noteworthy new restaurants or activities. Any thoughts?
Nov 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM

Sounds like a good plan Melissa..make sure you go to Red Salt at the Koa Kea for dinner and drinks..
Across the street is Keoki's Paradise..owned by Hula Grill and Kimos' and they have the best chicken stir fry with tons of fresh veggies..one of the best dishes ever..cheap too!
Have a great time..wife bought tons of great shell jewelry at the spouting horn up the road..cheap and gorgeous stuff.
The Crab Hash benedict at Poipu Golf club is really good.
Drinks at Duke's are fun..
Being in Kauai is what its all about!!
Aloha and have so much fun!
Dec 20th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Back from Kauai bliss. We stayed at the Marriott for the first few days (Friday through Sunday night). It was the weekend so no construction for a few days, and since we were prepared, we spent most of those few days out around the island with activities. The Marriott is huge and very tired. Dated. And even though you don't hear much airport traffic, the bay is a busy entry way to the largest port on the island so you see massive cruise ships and cargo tankers pulling in and out with regularity. On Monday before we checked out, I went to the pool to return some towels and the construction was going. Dusty, dirty, loud and literally right next to the pool. Ick. But, in the end, it didn't affect us because of all of you guys and our research (THANK YOU AGAIN!) I would not pay to stay at this hotel.

THEN, we checked in to the Koa Kea. What a perfect, delightful hotel. Gorgeous, immaculate grounds and rooms. Decadent. We got a great rate that included breakfast so we had lots of meals at the restaurant, all of which were great and lived up to the hype. Cozy, intimate hotel. We spent most of this part of the trip lounging around and eating. Memorable, perfect trip. Anyway, alls well that ends well.
Dec 21st, 2009, 05:14 AM

Thanks for reporting back. Glad you had a great trip.
Dec 21st, 2009, 06:05 AM

Aloha Melissa!!!!
I was hoping you reported back and all went well..
When we were there in Sept. for drinks at Duke's the place look very dated and tired..and then top it off with construction noise was not how we wanted to spend our vacation...and we wanted to make sure you knew as well.
Koa Kea is with Red Salt..excellent choice.
Resort looked really nice and super clean and the bar/pool area was happening..love the bartender at RS.
Did you get to Merriman's that just opened up?
Mahalo