Notices

Kauai in December

Old May 31st, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai in December

We will be celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary with a return after many years to romantic Hawaii.

Which side is best to stay at in December or does it matter? We are considering the Hyatt but see that many writers like the Princeville as well.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:54 AM

I have been to Kauai in Nov and Feb and the south is drier and sunnier at that time. Also the water is a little calmer in the South during the winter. That said, Princeville is certainly beautiful, just a higher chance of rain. I would opt for the Hyatt at that time of year, but you will get plenty of others who say that the northshore is so gorgeous, it's worth chancing the rain to be there. It's my favorite island - enjoy!
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. We will stay at the Hyatt then and spend a day near the Princeville and have lunch there.

Any other suggestions - retaurants, snorkeling sites, etc.?
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:06 PM

You can check these sites for things to see & do:

www.gohawaii.com They will send a free brochure

www.kauaidiscovery.com They will send a free brochure

www.kauai-hawaii.com

www.thisweek.com

www.spotlighthawaii.com

www.101thingstodo.com

www.hawaiiweb.com

www.alternative-hawaii.com

www.driveguidemagazines.com Good maps & restaurant guide

This link has some places where you can snorkel on your own as well as some tours:

http://www.snorkeling-hawaii-insider...com/index.html

www.snorkelbobs.com Scroll to the bottom & click on: Map'nTips
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM

Here are some restaurant recommendations: We enjoyed the Tidepools restaurant right at the Hyatt - great seafood. Ask for a table out on the edge and they will bring you some fish food. The koi fish come right up to have a snack.

The Hyatt also has a free hula show on Wednesday nights. It is fun to have a drink and appetizers and watch the show and the gorgeous view - go early for good seats.

We also like the Plantation House in Poipu for seafood - it is right across from the Sheraton Hotel.

The Beach House is great for a special night, but the real attraction there is the view. Make reservations before you go for the early seating to be assured of a good spot. That said, I think it is over-priced and over-rated and we always have some issue with the food or the service.
We love Roy's at Poipu Shopping Village - no views, but wonderful food - we ate there twice last time! I don't like Keoki's in the same center - mediocre food for just a few $$$ less than the fabulous fare at Roys. Also at Poipu is the Puka Dogs for lunch (strictly casual!!), yummy with papaya relish on them and good lemonade!

As far as beaches - the one in front of the Hyatt, Shipwreck, is a little rough. I really like Poipu beach, but mostly because it is so convenient to where I usually stay (condos). A great book that will help you with hiking trails, activities, etc is "Kauai Revealed". Excellent advice that is usually spot on.

There is also a spa at the Hyatt. I had a massage when I was there last Feb and it was lovely!

Enjoy!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Dusty and Ellen for the great tips and links! and to everyone for all the help to make this trip something special for us.

Best to all.