Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai in 9 days! Any activities I should book in advance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving for our Honeymoon in 9 days--for 10 glorious days in Kauai, split between the South and North shores.

I think we will do the Luau at the Princeville, since we can walk there from our condo (Hello, extra Mai Tai!).

We are thinking about doing a kayaking trip, horseback riding, Lumahali Gardens, hiking, lots of snorkeling, and good food.

Not in to helicopter tours, or extreme sports.

What are you favorite companies/tours for horseback riding and kayaking? And, what needs to be booked in advance?

Oh yes--and restaurants. Should I make any particular reservations early? Any price.

Thanks!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM
lvk

Hi Alisa,

I would make reservations for the Princeville Luau as soon as you decide which day it will fit into your schedule. I believe they run on Mondays & Thursdays, but double check. Another thing -- get there early, because the line to register gets very, very long. You can sip your cocktails from the bar while standing in line.

FYI for after the luau: the path from the Princeville hotel to the HBR is very dark and has no lights, but there is a little "bus stop" type place where you can call up to the HBR for a golf cart to come for you.

I would also make my reservations for Princeville Ranch early. They were booked when we called there, and had to settle for the Silver Falls Ranch, which was just o.k.

Have a wonderful trip!

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM

You won't need to make reservations at Limahuli as most of the tours are self guided. What a fabulous spot! You will have amazing views of the pali.

Two years ago we went to the Allerton Gardens and I highly recommend that! It is an absolutley gorgeous spot. I made reservations the week before we left.

We made reservations for the Seafood Buffet at Cafe Hanalei the week before we left.

Here is a link to my pictures from our trip this summer.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bquarre/album?.dir=/9d38

Have a great trip to the ultimate hell-hole!

-Bill
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:12 PM

Don't forget to eat at Postcards. Reserve a couple of days ahead. In your previous food post I forgot to mention Casa di Amici in Poipu. Very good and interesting selections. Italian food with a tropical/asian/latin spin (I know it sounds odd, but it was very tasty.)

-Bill
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:20 PM

What about Na Pali Catamaran? I've not actually done it, 'cept in my dreams....sigh!

Belle
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:23 PM

book nothing,simply enjoy and explore the secluded beaches.....
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. I booked the Luau and will talk to DH tonight about other activities!

I'll be sure to post a trip report when I return!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:22 AM
jq

Are there enough heli tours to handle most of the requests in Oct-Nov as long as it doesn't have to be a specific day? From our old experience, it seems like best way is to go up when the weather is forecast to be especially nice, which probably means not knowing until an hour or so in advance.