Kauai Helicopter recommendation needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Kauai for the first time in August and hoping to get some experienced opinions on best helicopter company to go with. Should we look for a Princeville departure rather than Lihue? Anyone taken an open helicopter vs. the larger 6 seaters?
Weatherwise, typically is a morning or afternoon flight preferable? Any information will be most appreciated.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 03:52 AM

We did the helicopter from the Princeville airport, since we were staying on the north shore. You will want to see the NaPali coastline anyway, so the Princeville location is closer.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:12 AM
bonniebroad

Friends were very impressed with Jack Harter's outfit.......

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:37 AM

I can't say enough about Inter-Island and their "no doors". We did the waterfall tour and it was amazing! We left from Port Allen and circled the whole island.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:37 AM

If you're staying on the north shore, you'll probably want to take advantage of the heli service right here at Princeville Airport. They use only closed aircraft, and I've never heard a bad "review" from friends/family who've flown with them.

Morning is usually best -- the clouds start forming over the pali (mountains) as the day heats up, bringing more rain.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:51 AM

WE too are doing the helicopter/waterfall landing lunch with Inter-island. We wanted the smaller helicopter that did not hold that many people and the open doors. As far as I know they are the ony ones doing the waterfall landing. They are also the company calle dwith the state of hawaii needs and air rescue too.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 12:59 PM

is there only one Heli company that flies out of Princeville airport?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:02 PM

We flew with Safari in May of this year. They were recommended by the office staff at Whaler's Cove b/c of their safety record. Jack Harter's 28 year record was broken last July 24th with a crash. Awesome experience, left from Lihue, rates seem to be "somewhat" negotiable especially if you say you're going to check with a few other companies and will call them back. Cap't Andy's catamaran boat trip up the Na Pali coast was lots of fun~request Treena (sp.) as 1st mate. The kau kau tin lunch at Wrangler's Steakhouse in Waimea was delicious and the Gay & Robinson sugar plantation tour was very interesting.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Another vote for Inter-island. Great service! The waterfall lunch was fun but the lunch wasnt the greatest.(Sandwich,bag of chips,beverage,fruit I think) But I would definately go with them again. On our trip search and rescue had asked them to locate some large cages that were in the middle of the jungle that needed to be airlifted out...we looked around for them for an extra 10 minutes or so...I felt all Jurassic PArkish..LOL
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful responses - this excursion and the Na Pali coast snorkle trip are the only "tours" we expect to take on our entire trip to three islands so I want to make sure they are great !
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 09:50 PM

lasjas:

HeliUSA is the only company which departs from Princeville's little airport; most others depart from Lihu`e; one (or two) depart from Pt. Allen on the westside.