Search

Kauai for a week

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai for a week

I have been studying posts to determine a draft itinerary for my family's week in Kauai. We are staying in the Poipu area and I don't know how many days to dedicate to each area of the island. Do I break up my days with 1 day on the north shore, 1 on east etc.? I feel it s important to include a few easy hikes, Waimea canyon, snorkelling, surf lessons for my 11 year old, Fern Grotto, Smith's luau. Thinking about a boat tour of the Na Pali, depending on conditions, or a helicopter ride. If anyone has an idea of a rough agenda it would be most appreciated. Thanks, we leave in 5 days.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:04 PM

Don't bother with a NaPali boat tour in the winter. The seas are too choppy, they can't go up the coast far enough. I wasted a lot of money too learn that.
Buy your son a $30 boogie board the day you arrive, he will want to be on it every day!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:44 PM

A great easy hike is through the --and I think I am say this right--the Limahuli Gardens. It is on the North Shore--beutiful park like setting with lots of native plants. Really beautiful and fun for kids to run around.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:25 AM

The lighthouse on the way up to the north shore (kilauea, I think it is called) is a great stop. It is a bird sanctuary and the cliffs are very cool. I suggest it at this time of year as they have pay to use stationary binocular things and we saw a lot of whales here, it was incredible and really gave you a sense of perspective regarding the size of whales in their natural habitat. Kind of a good way to break up the drive. Have a great time.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:27 AM

Get the Ultimate Guide to Kauai. There are better hikes. I have skipped both the fern grotto and Smiths on several trips (some with kids). Ultimate guide writes disparagingly about smiths but they did say if you had to do a luau, go here. I would take in the children?s hula performance at the Hyatt or the 2pm show at the Princeville, probably more authentic hula than smiths. Your kids will certainly walk away with a greater respect for the tradition by going to these hotels, judging by the coconut bras Smith shows on website photos. Check out the gohawaii.com and local papers for local hula competitions or events where you frequently will see seasoned hula performers.

I liked Canyon trail, Awaawaphui hike. The views are incredible! The views on awawaphui are a close second to the Napali trail, which might be a tough hike this time of year. Get a map online from Kokee state park. It is very handy to have and plan with this map before you go. Tells you how long and
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:38 AM
DB

We went to Smith's Luau and enjoyed it. The show is more of an international flavor and does not focus solely on Hawaiian tradition (Samoan, Phillipines, and other Pacific Islanders). Also a few of the songs have a bit more of a mondern jazz influence, although sung in Hawaiian. Overall, it can be quite interesting. The grounds are a nice place to visit/see, and the food is great.

I would set aside one day each for Waimea/west-side and the north shore. You may want to go back to the north shore again (plan for a snorkel trip at the beach behind the Princeville Hotel), but I doubt you will want to make the trip more than twice during your week stay.

The beach at the park in Poipu (Brennecke's) is great for relaxing and snorkeling.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:58 PM

You can devote 1/2 day to Wimea Canyon ( add travel time to that). I would devote more time to the north shore than the south shore. On the NOrth shore check out the Queen's Bath. Stop at Banana Joe's and ge t agreat smoothie!The beaches are more beautiful and lush on the NOrths Shore- Kee Beach, Tunnels, and Larsen's Beach are some of my favorites.
Kipu Falls on the east shore is ropetty neat- I would definitely recommend you get the Ultimate Guide TO Kauai. It lets youknow about little known waterfalls and tells you exactly how to get there! Often , you may be the only ones there!
Plan for a day on Poipu Beach - eat at BRennecke's. Take along yourown snorkel gear if you have it, Kids will love snorkeling on all the beaches. POipu is great for that.
Have fun!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:59 PM

I forgot-
WWe did the whale trip in February 2000 along the naPali and enjoyed it. It was cancelled the first day because of the winds, etc, but was rescheduled for the next day and it was fine- I guess you just have to take your chances. We went on HolaHola tours for that.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:46 AM

We made up an itinerary based upon what part of the island we planned on driving to and it worked out fine. Definitely take some of those hikes in the Waimea Canyon! I wish I had gone on that Nu'alolo Cliffs Trail but someone at Kokee Lodge freaked us out by talking about a sheer dropoff for part of the hike. Canyon Trail was a very cool hike though - beautiful canyon views.

Exploring Polihale Beach was very worthwhile.

Be sure to see Wailua Falls. If you're really adventurous try the hike to the bottom if the ropes are up at the time you're there (very freaky!).

My favorite was the Kalalau Trail. We only did the first 2 miles though. If we hadn't worn ourselves out the previous day we would've gone the extra 2 miles up to the waterfall. The views along this hike were also spectacular.

Another cool idea is to go tubing through some old irrigation ditches. We did this and it was really neat. You ride through these manmade tunnels through rock!
www.kauaibackcountry.com

Have fun!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:14 AM

Cajunstorm WHAT A GREAT REVIEW!!! There are sheer cliff on that trail. I have seen it on photos members here left. Don't worry about that trip to the falls though. If you were there during summer, chances are it was only a trickle at the falls as on my trip. I did it and was waisted the entire next day. That hike took me 8 hours. Good to do it once but I have absolutely no desire to go beyond hanapepe beach in one day. Camping and doing the entire trail (11miles)on another trip might be an option.

What you don't want to miss are the hula grounds just off Keah beach, walking around where the rocks jut off into the ocean. This is a pretty spot. The spiritual touchstone of ancient hula, where it began.

Imaz critical to start these hikes we mention early in the morning. You miss that midafternoon sun which can be a killer.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:26 AM

Forget the Fern Grotto - too much time and money and way too touristy. Nice hikes will be much better.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:29 AM

Can't miss the grotto if your a >)trekkie, site of Capt. Kirk marriage.

And no I don't want buy any bridges!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:11 AM

A great place to check photos of trails, something I like to do in the planning stages, is webshots.com. check this out. Time for a digital camera!!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...68339097GOkLqt