Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How does this 5 Night Kauai itinerary sound?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our first trip to Kauai and we are bringing two kids, 5 and 9. How does this sound?

Day 1: Arrive in Kauai from Maui at 10:00 A.M., get car, eat lunch (?) and start heading east.
In east Kauai area we would like to do the following:
See Opaekaa and Wailua Falls,
Visit Lydgate Park to feed the fish/snorkel and let kids play on playground,
Hike the Sleeping Giant.
Then we will continue to go towards Princeville where we will visit lighthouse and Hanalei before going to our hotel for two nights (Princeville Hotel). Is this way too much??? I am figuring that we won't be able to get into our room until at least 3:00 anyway. Any suggestions on this day would be greatly appreciated!
Day 2: Husband hikes Kalalau trail while girls and I have a fun day at the hotel and maybe checking out a beach in the PM when husband returns where we could look for shells. Any suggestions?
Day 3: Leave hotel in the AM and go to Wailua River to kayak and hike to waterfall.
Then eat lunch (or should we bring a lunch with us on the kayak and eat at waterfall area???)and go to Spouting Horn and Poipu beach for a bit until time Hyatt room will be available.
Day 4: Swim at hotel pool in the AM and then do ATV tour (Kipu Ranch) in the PM.
Then go to Hula Show at Hyatt while eating at restuarant at sunset. (forgot which rest. this is??)
Day 5: Relax at hotel with New Year's Eve fireworks at Poipu Beach in the PM. Dinner????
Day 6: Return to Maui and then home.

Please give me your honest opinions!
Thanks!
By the way, I know that I didn't include Waimea Canyon in the itinerary but I couldn't figure out where to put it without taking away a day just to relax. Suggestion for including it or should I just leave it out???
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:41 PM

On Day #1: I would skip the Sleeping Giant. Unless you make it all the way to the top there won't be many scenic views. And I doubt kids the ages of yours will go all the way to the top without some serious whining, LOL.

At Lydgate Park check out the giant new map near the main restroom area, be sure to take the kids to Kamalani Kai Bridge as well as Kamalani Playground.

Feeding fish is a no-no, better just to observe them!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:45 PM

Don't want to add anything to your ideas but our boys were 6 and 8 when we first took them to Kauai; they really loved Poipu, Barking Sands/Pole Hale park, Ke'e beach -also known as the end of the road since its right where the napali hike starts. Not much to see in Hanalei unless you want to get dinner there one evening. We didn't hike sleeping giant or go to Lydgate Park - the seas were a little rough and you may find it that way as well since it looks like you'll be there in late December/early January. We stayed at the Princeville - very nice and at that time, kid friendly. Take the kids to Bubba's for lunch on the way to Princeville. there is also a fruit and jam factory between Poipu and Waimea Canyon - they do little tours and its pretty fun. Keep in mind that you may have to shift plans depending on weather.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:18 PM
koa

What are you folks doing with your luggage? I wouldnt leave it in your car while your doing all those activities. Its probaly better if you have lunch then drive up north. Princeville hotel will probably store your luggage before check in. If check in is at three, you can kill some time by checking out the lighthouse.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:08 PM

We went to Kuaui this summer with 8 year old daughter. I would highly recommend not missing driving through Waimea Canyon to the end of the road in Kokee (sp?) State Park. Views of Na Pali Coast from here are awesome. Maybe you can swim pm Day 3 and do this Day 4 am & early pm. I would also recommend that you consider going to Kee Beach with girls when your husband hikes Kalalau Trail. Beautiful drive and nice beach if you and kids can hike about 1 mile of trail views are great. Finally helicopter rides are little expensive but unforgettable.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:26 PM

I would not take small kids to Ke'e Beach in the winter, just too dangerous.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Will our car be within view at Lydgate park? Is this the part of day one that you feel our luggage would not be safe? I was under the impression that the two waterfalls were next to the road. Is that correct? Based on someone's recommendation, we won't be hiking the Sleeping Giant but can you see the Giant from the road as well (I realize you won't get the great view but I have already talked up the legend of the giant so my kids will at least want to do something with it!)?
Thanks!
As far as going to Ke'e beach goes, I may do something like that in the evening but I want to spend at least one of my two days at the hotel relaxing and enjoying the view from the pool area since it cost so much to stay there! Maybe after husband is done with the hike, he can drive us back there to the beach. I don't want to feel stranded at the beach the whole time he hikes (many hours) with us only having one car. I would rather be at the hotel and be able to use their pool/beach. Is there a good beach for finding shells in the area?
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:47 AM

On your way from the airport to Princeville stop off at Duane's Ono Char-Burger in Anahole for lunch. Really good burgers and helps set the tone for an uber-relaxing stay in kauai.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:36 AM

Hey Ashley, would suggest on day 1 that you visit the 2 fall areas, which are easily accessible by car then drive through Lydgate Park to see what it is like. Personally, would suggest checking into the Pville Hotel after visiting the falls area, because you avoid having to go through your luggage to prepare to swim in the water. Also, you might consider enjoying the Pville beach and pool and save Lydgate as a back up plan in case it rains in PVille or the ocean is rough. BTW, I would speculate that Lydgate is a safer area for cars/valuables than Kee, though Kee is endlessly inspiring. Agree with above recommending Waimea Canyon, it can be viewed a few steps from your car without hiking.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:18 PM

I also planned on checking out the two falls on the way to Princeville. Someone had told me that our luggage would be safe in the car, as you can see the falls from the road?
Is this correct?

Thanks
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:06 PM
uuhhhh

didn't we see pretty much the same post a couple weeks ago, Ash24?

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Yes, you can see them both from the road.....i.e., your car can always be in your sightlines.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

uuhhh,
I have made changes to my original plans and wanted to verify that the plans were alright. Sorry to bother you! I have received a lot of good suggestions from people on this board, especially johnd and I appreciate it. Thank you guys for taking the time and effort to help others!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:11 PM
kip

Ashley, it's interesting to see how your trip is morphing. One piece that I haven't seen people mention: RAIN! You are heading over to Kauai during the winter. You have an agenda full of outdoor activites- you might want a few back-up plans for rainy days. I notice that you have moved part of your stay from Poipu to the Northshore. It's beautiful up there but the weather is really unpredictable anywhere on Kauai, especially on the Northshore. I personally think that your first plan was a bit better. I've spent some gorgeous winter weeks over there and a couple that were incredibly wet. Don't mean to rain on your parade but I'd sure hedge my bet by staying on the south shore and driving up north. I've had the experience of 7 solid days of rain in Kauai. We were taking trips to wal-mart and borders to buy anything to keep our kids busy. Just felt the need to interject this little dose of reality. I've stayed at the Princeville without kids and at the Hyatt both with and without. I'd stick to the southshore and the Hyatt or the Sheraton. The Princeville is a beautiful hotel but is not what I would consider a great treat for the kids. (And I have five and nine-year-old daughters.) Believe me, the south shore hotels will put on just as wonderful a show as the mighty Princeville. Save that one for a trip with your honey.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Kip,
I guess I was under the impression that the rains were light and usually didn't last too long. I was imagining people just going on their business regardless. My girls were excited about swimming in the pool while it rained and looking for rainbows. We will be at the Princeville for only two nights so I can't see it "ruining" our trip. The rest of the time we will be at the Hyatt plus we will be coming to Kauai after 7 days on the sunniest part of Maui (Wailea). I'm not too worried but thanks for the heads up anyway. When we return, I'll let you know if the rain put a damper on the trip (pun intended!).
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 05:05 AM
iceeu2

Ashley,
We went to Kauai in March (rainy season)and got quite alot of rain....BUT, it never dampened our spirits! As a matter of fact, on the day of the hardest rain, we drove north and it was wonderful..Had the entire place to ourselves! Our photos of the north shore are beautiful because we have the same shots during the rain as we do during the bright sunshine. Both are awesome!
With all of the great advice you have received and with all of the planning you have done, you are destined to have a wonderful vacation....with or without rain, because,,,,,,you will be in Paradise!

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Ashley,

Just to try and lift your spirits a little, my wife & I stayed at The Princeville this past February (again, the height of "rainy season") and it didn't rain for more than 15-20 any of the 6 days we were there.

So, yes, it may rain (as evidenced by kip and iceeu2) but it also may not (as I can attest to). But one thing I will concur with and join in the sentiments of, whatever weather you do get, rain/shine or otherwise, you'll have a wonderful time....it's impossible not to on Kauai.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Kal

Ash,
We've been going over in Dec/Jan for the past few years and really don't recall it ever raining maybe more than a day or two but seldom hard enough to cancel any outdoor activities...other than tanning...which we limit now anyway!

Any hiking plans may have to be reconsidered since rain makes the trails slick as you-know-what.

One time I have to disagree with vivi but The Sleeping Giant would be a great hike especially if you "talked story" about his legend to your kids.

360 degree view of the whole CocoCoast and Mt Wally, Wailua River, etc.
Little picnic area located on his chest.
If you walk up to his head, be careful with the kids because it's really steep in a few places.
If not, there is a turnout off SR 56 where you can get some good pics. I got some outstanding pics of Da Big Guy last year while taking the "short cut" i.e. the SR 56 by-pass that starts near Kintaro's/Coconut Market place and comes out near ABC Store/Bubba's in Kapaatown. Just make sure there is no to light traffic and pull over in a safe area and snap a few off.

"No rain-No Rainbows".
Mucho mahalos,
Kal
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Before you even leave the airport, I suggest stopping at a book/news stand to pick up this bright-blue guide, "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, Kauai Revealed," by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman. It's the most worthwhile $14.95 you can spend! The authors actually live there and give very detailed reviews and directions to sites even locals might not know about. It's a fun, entertaining read as well. Have fun! Your trip sounds great. Definately see the Waimea Canyon.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:09 AM

If you get to Waimea, be sure to stop at JoJo's shaved ice for a combination ice cream cone and snow cone. Your kids and you will be delighted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -