Kauai Clothes Shopping Specifics

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Kauai Clothes Shopping Specifics

As some of you amy remember, my husband has planned a trip to Kauai for my birthday with another couple with whom we like to travel. They are giving me very few details of the trip except my girlfriend has advised me to bring a few things but mainly shop when I get there! Now, I love her dearly, but our taste in clothes is not the same!

So, what can you tell me about shopping ? The more details the better! Have you found something you loved? What did you wear most of the time you were there? TIA!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM

I am a shopper and there's very little clothing shopping to be done on Kauai. I bought a mumu/shift thing at Hilo Hattie's. That's it. There's a Macy's in Lihue. I don't think you'll find anything there you won't find at home. Most of what you'll wear is casual clothes and hopefully bathing suits. Shorts, sundresses or whatever you would wear in summer at home. If you go to any of the fancier hotel restuaurants, you can wear a nice dress or pants outfit. Sweaters or a shawl in the evening.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:08 PM

You should bring good walking/hiking shoes if you plan to go to Waimea Canyon or do any long walks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM

There are a couple of different locations for Tropical Tantrum on the island.
http://www.tropicaltantrum.com/
They sell wild, colorful tops, dresses and two piece outfits along with all the accesories. Sort of like mumus for a new century. There is one in Kapa'a and one in Hanalei. I can't remember the name, but there is another women's clothing and accesory shop in Hanalei too.
-Bill
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to each of you. This is exactly what I needed to know. I will pack from home and maybe treat myself to something from Kauai.

I spend enough at Macy's here at home!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:22 PM

From April to August go to Walmart. They stock up for the summer fashion season and the quality is as good as anyplace else.

$10-20 print dresses
$20 bathing suits
$5-20 flipflops and sandals
$5-10 tops
$5-10 shorts/skorts
$10 sunglasses
hats
straw bags
coverups

Men too. You get the picture.

Hilo Hatties is way overpriced I think but the quality may be slightly better.

Everyone shops at Walmart. It's the social place. K-Mart is the slightly upscale step-sister without the selection.

If you get to Walmart during other months the fall clothes will be in or the racks will be a little barer. There are seasonal clothes here. Of course you'll still be able to find things everywhere. The island is one big shopping clothes shopping place.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:16 AM

I would hate to HAVE to go shopping on vacation in Hawaiii because I didn't bring enough/the right clothes! That's fine if you're in the mood and see nice stuff somewhere but I wouldn't want to be tied to the plan.

I've not been to Kauai, but for Maui and Oahu (and Mexico for that matter) take:
2 bathing suits
2 sarongs or coverups
3 shorts
2 capris or lightweight pants
7 tops incl tanks/tshirts/sleeveless blouses
2 sundress or skirt (optional)
1 jacket or sweater
1 robe or sleepwear
1 sneakers
2 sandals
1 flip flops
undies

That's what I wear when I'm there.

Pick your favorite and best stuff from your normal summer wardrobe at home.