Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do I have to take my hiking boots to Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM
iceeu2

The real icee and myself have been having a "discussion" about me taking my hiking boots as opposed to just old tennis shoes to hike in. His thing is, I need the support and what if I turn my ankle...they will help me...blah, blah, blah.

Now my thing is...they are ugly...they are not high tops so they don't come over my ankle anyway...and they are heavy(not really) and I could take several (5-6 at least) pairs of cutsey sandals for one pair of hiking shoes...

He's even gonna make me take my staff...told him I will just get someones discarded stick...but, no...

You'd think I am going to have to hike the entire Island!!

Who do you vote for? It's only 43 more days until s and ~gt;s

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IF you decide to take them just wear them on the plane.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:35 AM
iceeu2

But........suze.......it's so far..and they won't be "cute" on the plane!!

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever you bring will be coated and stained with red mud. The Kauai trails are very very slippery! We've always used an old pair of running shoes, then thrown them away after our last hike so we don't have to pack the mess home. My apologies to the island for leaving junk behind!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I wouldn't take or wear boots myself, but *if* I did I definitely wouldn't want those big ole things taking up all the room in my suitcase. That's why I suggested your feet to transport them!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:52 AM

Pack the extra cute sandals and just slide down the trails! WEEEEEE...and I agree, being "cute" on the plane IS very important!
-Bill
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 12:01 PM

I've hiked a lot of trails in Kauai and the only one (that I also have NOT been on) that might require real hiking boots is in Waimea Canyon - if you do the Awapui (spelling?) something and Nualolo Cliffs Trail loop.

And there is ALWAYS room for more shoes in luggage!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 12:13 PM

This is why I'm glad my husband golfs. There is always room to shove more stuff in his soft-sided golf travel bag. That's where my hiking shoes go, and the snorkel gear, and my running shoes.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:28 PM

Iceeu2,
I feel for you. We took our hiking boots to Kauai a few times and they are big and heavy. They are waterproof and the last time we hiked the Canyon in muddy trails, I was glad I had them. They still look good though. I did not have to throw them away.
My husband does not like to take lots of luggage and has always discourage me from packing too much.
I like the idea of using old tennis shoes but they are useless if the soles are worn because you will slip and slide (been there done that). I bought an inexpensive hiking pair, not ankle high though, at Lands End Overstock and will be using them this coming trip.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM

i thought i definitely needed my boots on the Kalalau trail, but then again, i hooked up with a couple on the trail, one who did the whole 8 miles in her penny loafers! (not kidding!) perhaps if you had one pair of sport sandals, you'd be ok.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM
iceeu2

Oh, wow, maybe I will find room for them since Hanalei says so....I have sport sandals, but don't like the idea of schlepping around in them on a muddy trail.
We shall see...

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM

Hubby and I just wore our tennis shoes when we hiked the Napali coast and they worked out great. They were however, soaking wet and stained with mud by the end of the trip, so now I only use them for mowing the lawn! I saw people in sandals on the trail and would not recommend that, but just don't wear anything you don't mind parting with!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:05 PM

I vote for CUTE sandals!!!

But, I know nothing about hiking!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:27 PM

After sliding around more than one likes on the edge of 1000 foot drops (Napali Coast trail) I vote for the hiking boots. I was wearing boots but the tread was worn and i really regretted it-

some hiking boots can be pretty cute
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM

i2,
I think Manolo Blahnik makes hiking boots now. Form and function all in one "cute" package.
-Bill
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
iceeu2

My sweet dear Bill. Honey child, I may have been born at night, but not last night!
I do have a bit of frugality in me and there is no way in hades I would spend the kind of money it takes for his shoes, much less the designer hiking shoes...
How about Clark's or something? Maybe I could go that route!

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:00 PM

i2,
Well then...how about Bally?

Seriously...I have a pair of Merrill slip-on Mocs that are light and have a great tread. I am planning on bringing them with me on our trip to Kauai. They are comfy and look pretty good.
-Bill
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
iceeu2

I have some Merrell sport sandals with a good tread, but not sure I want to do any hikes in sandals. Now, I don't mind doing some good walks in them, but those muddy trails, not.

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:43 PM

My favorites for Hawaii are my Salomon wet/dry shoes. They're built like a low cut hiking shoe, with good tread, but they are made of mesh and weigh absolutely nothing (seriously, like the same weight as aqua socks, it's crazy). They're very sturdy and have a nylon pulley thing instead of laces, real easy. Water just flows right through them and they clean and dry out easily; they're great for kayaking and for muddy hiking with stream fordings. I love not having to change my shoes--soggy tennies are the worst, and you'll end up putting on wet shoes every time, they never dry out.

Check out places like REI or other sporting/camping stores.

love
roxy
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:37 PM

That Roxy sure would know! When in Kauai, Mrlou and I hike to every inch of seclusion we can find...Secret, Hidden and a bunch of beaches in between require a steady decline to reach, add water and you'll look cute and smart in proper gear. It is just more enjoyable to hike Napali and Waimea trails with good footwear. And as far as that stick......I used a disgarded one last year that broke at the most inoportune time, so if you have a real walking stick......kudos to you! It really depends on how much hiking and adventuring you'll be doing. Next year, our convertible will be filled with hiking boots, pristine sneakers, flipflops, walking sandals, sexy sandals and an evening open toed heel........shoes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -