Kauai Activity Questions

Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Activity Questions

Hello! We are looking for some help with activities for our week-long trip to Kauai in mid-August. Hubby and I (both 30; first trip to Hawaii) are renting a condo at the Hanalei Bay Resort. I've been through the forums, so I don't think my questions are TOO redundant (except, perhaps, the question about Na Pali tours...but there's so much variability in what people are looking for, I just went ahead and embraced the redundancy...!), but I apologize if they are! I realize that many of these questions depend on personal preference, but I'd still love to hear your thoughts!

1. Is it worth it to rent a convertible? We will definitely rent a car, of course...just wondering if we should splurge.
2. Any suggestions for the best zip tours? We'd probably prefer something on the north shore...right?
3. Worth it to rent kayaks on the Wailua River, or is it a bit of a snooze? Go on a tour or rent on our own?
4. Same question about the sugar plantation tubing trip...nice views or a boring snooze?
5. Best Na Pali boat tours? I don't think we're up for sea kayaking; we don't need to snorkel as part of this tour; don't really want a party-boat atmosphere but also would prefer not to be tripping over children; don't wanna get blasted over the water on a zodiac rocket thing...Does that trip exist?
6. General beach question: do public beaches have chair rentals? I'm not sure our condo is equipped...

Thanks so much!!!

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 09:58 AM

Na Pali Catamaran gets good reviews, small boat and weather permitting can go into the sea caves, leaves from the North Shore. Haven't done the zipping or tubing, you can also kayak the Hanalei River if you prefer.
Hanalei Bay Resort gets good reviews and their bar and restaurant should be open in August. Check whatever owner or property management company you are renting from regarding beach chairs. Many condos routinely supply them along with other things like boogie boards.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
jcb

1. No. Kauai does have quick showers and a lot of microclimates. Stopping to put up the top can be a pain.

3. Rent your own kayak. Paddle up the Wailua River and do the short hike up to the waterfall.

6. Never seen public rentals. I'm sure your condo has some supplies. If not, you can buy some at Walmart and leave them in your rental for the next guests.

Have fun!
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 12:33 PM

My trip report
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...i-oct-2012.cfm

NaPali coast boat - www.liko-kauai.com

Take a tour for the Kayak
Kayak Wailua Adventures (www.kayakwailua.com)

We enjoyed the tubing trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 09:03 PM

Snorkel Bobs rents everything and cheap too. We brought our own snorkel equipment last trip but next time we will rent the fins thru Snorkel Bobs. Fins are heavy!! Like to use my own snorkel though. have done the Tubing 2x on the canals and it is a blast. Highly recommend it. On one trip it was sold out so we have rented on line since then.

If you are adventurous you can do the kayak on your own but we opted to do the tour as we were not sure where to stop to walk to the falls but there are plenty of kayaks pulled ashore so you will know where to stop....

Just got back from 10 days on Kauai. Great trip, as have all the others been but the extra couple of days made a big difference.

We have rented a convertible and enjoyed it but it is a pain to have to stop periodically and get the top up for those showers that pass thru. It is up to you. We have done it 2x but now we just get a regular car. It is fun though.

Enjoy your trip to Kauai. The most beautiful and lush Island.....
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 03:23 AM

Love convertibles in Hawaii and if you catch a little/warm liquid sunshine while driving around - so what.

We had a VW bug convert years ago - and saw a little raincloud ahead - and by the time I reached back to pull up the top - we were already through it.

If you don't go out of the north shore - take a drive down to Port Allen on the south shore and go out on a catamaran up the beautiful Na Pali coast. Much smoother ride.
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:54 AM

If you want a Awesome catamaran experience you should ride the Capt.Andy's Southern Star! It's the best luxurious boat there is, take the dinner cruise if you want a more romantic calm setting with no kids. They cater to you with a 3 course steak dinner, unlike some which is just a buffet dinner, The next bet would be Kauai Sea Tours, Lucky Lady Dinner cruise as well!
Convertibles are up to up you, Like some say earlier Kauai has 15 sub-climates.. weather can change at a drop of a hat!

Honestly Snorkel Gear.. I would go to Costco and purchase your own.. You're going to get you moneys worth out of it, and you can pick up provisions for your condo at the same time!

Tubing... It's nice though I would put that at the end of the trip for more of a relaxing activity! You go through 5 Caves and guides are most helpful!

I would definitely do an A.T.V. Trip or a Zipline Adventure! Hands down I would do the Outfitters Kauai 9 Zip with water zip at the end! It's located on the south shore.. but so worth it!
Another one I would do is the Helicopter Ride! This is the best way to see the Entire island! The Waimea Canyon, Na Pali Coast and Mt.Waialeale!

And with all that.. I recommend this small company I found while I was there.. They took care of everything for me! They are a local company and they don't deal with timeshare! Straight forward, but with the most Aloha! I recommended to a friend of mine that just came back from Kauai and she actually booked the activities before she left! They did everything over the phone, and got their seats reserved so she said it was such a load off her mind and they delivered their tickets to their resort! They gave them complimentary coupons and a gift basket with Hawaiian treats! They even called them for advice on unrelated questions to their tours! Tom was amazing! He was basically our concierge when we were there! If you haven't booked anything yet, I would recommend them.. But other than that, Hope you folks have a great trip and enjoy your stay! Have fun!

This is the recommended company.. They have a small Kios outside the Harbor Mall, in Kalapaki Bay!

Activities of Kauai
Tom: (808)635-3353 or Jennifer (808)635-5029
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:14 PM

Hanalei Bay Resort is lovely. The condo we rented there provided beach chairs, umbrella, "noodles", etc.

The most adventuresome thing we did was the ATV at Kipu Ranch: http://www.kiputours.com/

We toured the Na Pali coast with Holo Holo catamaran. I don't recall any children on board. The crew were very friendly and helpful, the meal was very nice as well. It is small enough to get very close to the caves.

https://www.holoholokauaiboattours.com/

Second the idea of a helicopter tour of the island. We used Jack Harter, but there are many options.

http://www.helicopters-kauai.com/

Enjoy paradise!