Kapalua Construction

Dec 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Kapalua Construction

We are planning our return to Kapalua for the Mercedes Championship, sons surfing at Honolua, etc. January 1-8. We have a villa and have stayed there on several occasions. My question has to do with the construction. Does any one know if the Ritz will definetly be opened as planned? Is the construction a major inconvenience? Thanks!
Dec 5th, 2007, 02:31 PM

You may want to call their central reservations number and confirm that they will be opened at that time.
Jan 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM

dcrandall,
I would appreciate a trip report, if you can muster it. We are going in May to Kapalua. How goes the construction?
Jan 18th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Construction is ongoing and sometimes noisy on the new Ritz Residences above Kapalua Bay, as we are here today.
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM

BillU

We just came back from Maui. We stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua from Jan 7 to 10. We had booked our room till the 14th, but ended up going to the Hyatt. The brand new residential suite, which had a huge island and a kitchenette (with a microwave and not a stove), was beautiful and comfortable. We were on the seventh floor (the lobby is on the 5th) and we could hear hammering down the hall, and the construction noise outside. The pool was not completed with the jacuzzis and the cabanas not being open. The newly planted shrubery and plants were not mature. The grass sods were just put down. The surrounding areas outside of the hotel was also being worked on. The spa was not open, and I heard someone complaining about the worst facial she got from her room. Service was great as most other Ritzs we've stayed at, but without being able to relax by the pool (especially when you have two small kids that are not always crazy about getting sand everywhere), we opted for the Hyatt later on, since they have a great kiddie pool area. The hotel beach (DT fleming) was beautiful but very wavy. There was a restaurant and lounge chairs BY the beach, but you could not be on a lounge chair and get food and drink service ON the beach. The Kapalua Bay Beach was great to swim and snorkel in with the calmer waves, but it was a hassle to get to. We had to wait for (a while!) and take the shuttle bus with all our towels and snacks. We ended up eating at the Napili Kai Beach Hotel, and noticed that the Napili Bay Beach had the largest beach and calmest waters. I highly recommend that you check with the staff at the Ritz and make sure that hopefully by the time that you're there, that they will be done with all the construction. Or at least not hear any of the noise from your room or from the pool. I'm sure it will be a beautiful resort once everything is completed, but they really shouldn't have taken any guests so prematurely. If I had to do it again, I would've chosen the Four Seasons in Wailea.
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM

For those of you who loved the Ritz in Kapalua prior to this new renovation, you might be surprised at what they've done to the lobby area. IMHO they have taken away the Hawaiian charm and made it LA style. Sad to see.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:15 PM
TahitiTams

Well Bob that is sad to learn..
Never have like that Ritz because of the vibe it has being that it's built on sacred ground..
Should ask the Hawaiian's that are selling their wares what they think about it..imo, it's so haunted and will forever be cursed.

Feb 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Olivia, Thanbks for the report. We'll actually be staying in one of the villas (a partial oceanview in the Golf Villas section, I believe). So, construction at the Ritz itself won't bother us. We get to use the Ritz's amenities (and charge to our room), so I think we will have the best of both worlds. Hopefully, shuttle service will be improved though.

How is the construction of the timeshares where the Kapalua Bay Hotel used to be? That construction concerns me more, since it will impact our time on the beach at Kapalua Bay.

Bob, From what I read, the hotel actually sits where it is because they purposely AVOIDED the burial ground. Is that not the case? My understanding is that they wanted the hotel to be "on the beach", but it sits back so far because of the burial ground.
Feb 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Sorry, I addressed a comment to MonterreyBob, but I meant to address it to TahitiTams.
Feb 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Bill - that's my understanding too. I stayed there a couple of years ago and didn't see any ghosts. ; )

Although it did rain for 4 straight days so maybe it WAS cursed, at least for me.
Feb 12th, 2008, 12:48 AM

Hi Bill,

If you're going to be on Kapalua Bay Beach, you're back drop is going to be the construction site of the Ritz Residences. You see the buildings going up and the cranes. It's such a big construction site that you see it from many of the holes from the Bay Course. I'm sure there was construction noise at the beach, but I don't really remember noticing it. As long as you look towards the ocean, you'll be fine. Snorkeling was great there. The nearby Napili Bay seemed great.
Feb 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Does anyone have photos of the newly-updated Ritz to share with us?