Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kanab, UT to Page, AZ... which Route 89 should I take?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all... my countdown to vacation is at 9 days and I'm just going over my plans/routes, etc. When driving from Kanab, UT to Page, AZ is there an advantage to taking the northernmost Route 89 through mostly UT versus the southern route through AZ? It seems very confusing to name them both the same route number. My AAA map shows the southern route as a scenic drive but not the northern one.

What's the concensus on this? Thanks... I'm probably gonna have some more questions for you all this week on various other topics.
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:30 PM

The southern route is ALT 89, as opposed to the northern route which is 89 without the designation that it is an alternate route. The northern route will get you to Page quicker.

I've driven the section of ALT 89 betweeen Kanab and Jacob lake and I don't think it's particularly scenic. Though I haven't driven the rest of ALT 89, if it's no more scenic than the section I've driven I would recommend taking the shorter route.

Hopefully someone that has driven the entire ALT 89 will provide helpful info.

Old May 17th, 2004, 06:56 PM

I've driven both routes several times. The highway thought AZ on Alt 89 is more mountainous and windy. This route is a slower driving, if you get stuck behind a motorhome it will even take longer.

I prefer the route thought Utah for scenery because I live in California and see mountain scenery all the time. The Utah route is more of the southwest sandstone. You drive thought the Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument.

To MikeBuckley: The route past Jacob Lake is more scenic. Once you leave the mountains you come down some switchbacks with great views of Vermilion Cliffs National Monument. The drive up Hwy 89 after Bittersprings, AZ is very scenic as you drive though Antelope Pass to Page, AZ.

Utahtea

Utahtea
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I'll probably decide which one to take when I get there. They both sound like good choices to me.