Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Most scenic route from Berchtesgaden to Heiligenblut?

Old Aug 25th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which way is the most scenic? Via Lofer or Bischofshofe? Time wise they seem about the same, and great scenery most important.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 01:42 PM

www.viamichelin.com gives you the option of choosing the scenic route for your itinerary.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 02:32 PM

The most scenic stretch of the route is between Bruck and Heiligenblut, on the Grossglockner Road There is a choice for the stretch between B'gdn and Bruck - - either going via Bischofshofen or Lofer. The latter is my favorite: From Berchtesgaden on the the German Alpine Highway (Deutsche Alpenstrasse - B-306) as far as Schneizlreuth, then continue on the Austrian route 312 to Lofer and 311 to Saalfelden and Zell am See. From Zell it's just a few km to Bruck. These are all excellent highways, very scenic and probably a few km shorter than via Bischofshofen.

There is another route from Bruck for those who don't want to drive the Grossglockner, but that route is very much out of the way: Zell am See - Mittersill on the Austrian 168; Mittersill to Lienz on the 108, Lienz to Winklern on the 106, and Winklern on the 107 to Heiligenblut. But, as I said, this route really doesn't make much sense unless you want to avoid driving the Grossglockner for some reason
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

www.viamichelin.com takes me through Lofer, but somewhere I read about the route through Bischofshofe being gorgeous, curious if anyone has done either route.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 08:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

We have driven extensively between Berchtesgaden and Zell am See and I would take treplow's advice: From Berchtesgaden on the the German Alpine Highway (Deutsche Alpenstrasse - B-306) as far as Schneizlreuth, then continue on the Austrian route 312 to Lofer and 311 to Saalfelden and Zell am See. From Zell it's just a few km to Bruck. Beautiful scenery all along this route.

By the way, Heiligenblut is a picturesque village with outstanding scenery! We stayed overnight in 2006 on our drive from Berchtesgaden to the Dolomites (Alta Badia).

Paul
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 02:10 PM

To answer your question: I have driven both routes - - Bischofshofen vs. Zell am See. Most of the route from Salzburg to Bischofshofen is on the autobahn A-10 - - pretty, but not as scenic as the other route, especially if you stop at some of the overlook places along the Alpenstrasse with views of the Watzmann, Hoher Goell and Kehlstein (aka Eagles Nest) mountains.

In addition to those two routes, plus the the one through Mittersill, there is another route, but it is slower, mor challenging and but also spectacular.

From Bischofshofen, take the Austrian route 184 to Dientner Sattle, Maria Alm and Saalfelden. From there, take the route 311 to Zell am See and Bruck. This route takes you along the Rocky Sea (Steinernes Meer) mountain massif. I happen to know all these roads quite well because I used to live in the area. Now I live in Colorado, equally spectacular.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all

We will be going into Heiligenblut via the Grossglockner as we are staying in Heiligenblut for 2 nights. We were there several years ago and have always wanted to go back!

So Treplow, if you had to decide, would you take the route via Lofer, or via Bischofshofen, Maria Alm and Saalfelden (did you mean Rt 164, that what shows up on Google Maps)
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 07:05 PM

I would take the Lofer route. It's scenic, not as much traffic as the transit route between Bischofshofen and Bruck, and it offers the opportuinty for a couple of stops to have lunch or afternoon coffee and pastry (afterall you are in Europe)with good views.

For lunch: shortly before you come to Saalfelden, on the left side of the road is a nice resort. Can't think of the name right now, but you will recognoze it as a resort.

Afternoon coffee: If you have the time, in Zell am See take the cable car to the top of the Schittenhoehe. Phantastic view on a clear day, including the Grossglockner and the Italian alps. If you don't have enough time for that, stop at the Grandhotel in town and have coffee outside, overlooking the Lake and the Grossglockner.

When you leave Zell for Bruck, avoid the shortcut tunnel. To me the smog inside the tunnel is an insult to my senses, just for saving a few minutes. Take the route along the lake.

To enjoy the Grossglockner, I would allow 2 1/2 hours to Heiligenblut. It's a much better drive in the afternoon, because you are less likely to get stuck behind tour busses on the way to the top of the pass road.

Enjoy! I am off to South Dakota.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Treplow!

I think if is a nice day we will skip the resort lunch and head straight for the cable car. Apparently there are some nice walks up there also, and I'm sure a restaurant/cafe with a great view!

Question on getting to the lift in Zell Am See? The website has directions coming in on B311, which I believe is what we will be driving on when coming from Lofer. What are we looking for, will there be signs along 311 for the cable car?
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 03:27 PM

Until treplow can log back on from SD, I suggest you take the exit from B311 into Zell and follow signs for "Schmittenhöhebahn" - usually accompagnied with a pictograph of a cable car.
The address is
Schmittenstr. 119, Zell am See
If you copy this into the Google search box it should give you the map with the location where the cable car starts.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cowboy!
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 03:23 PM

Cowboy,
"you took thr words ou of mouth."