Just to clarify, Lodging in Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It opens for booking one year ahead on the first of the month?

We (finally, way too late) decided we want to go to Yellowstone - but of course everything is completely booked this summer. I really want to stay IN Yellowstone, for all the reasons outlined here (not driving at night, being in the park when all the day visitors leave, etc.)...

So, if we are looking to travel next June (2015), I can call for reservations on June first this year (2014), right?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 09:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Don't give up yet on 2014.

Yes, you are able to book a year in advance. That also works for you. People who have any idea of going book early. Then as the date gets closer reality sets in and there are cancellations.

Of course, you never know what will become available so be flexible with your itinerary. start calling a couple of times a day. As soon as cancellation happen, you want to be with them on the phone. Don't just look online. Phone, Phone, phone.

I'll give you an example. A couple of years ago I took my daughter and granddaughter to Yosemite. Then in late May (2013) she asked my daughter if we'll ever go on another of grandpa's trips. I asked her about their schedule for July and immediately booked dates for OF, Canyon and Signal Mountain.

Now I have a few too many days and I'll most likely cancel a few (non-consecutive) of the days. Somebody will be very happy.

Now, we are not cancelling the trip. Just a few days. But many people will cancel a complete trip for various reasons.

You just want to make sure that when cancellations happens you're the one on the phone.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Ooh, Thank you Myer! I'll keep trying!
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 03:15 PM

I actually think you can call May 1. But I could be wrong.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 03:16 PM

FWIW, I like Roosevelt and Old Faithful Inn. If you are staying in the Tetons, there are different concessionaire's, so may be different.

Oh, one more thing. The concessionaire could change this year in Yellowstone and that would change things too.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM

The current concessionaire just entered a new 20 year agreement (xantera), so you should be good to go. I think May 1 is when your gonna want to call.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 04:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes - I agree w/ spirobulldog . . . Yellowstone and Yosemite are much the same. Totally booked up months ahead. But because folks do book so far in advance - stuff happens. Lots have to cancel (just think of all the things that could happened in a year to change a families vacation plans)

So just keep trying.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 05:52 PM

janis,
I'm talking about 2015 not 2014. Personally, I wouldn't try for this year. You might get something, but not likely to really get what you want.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 06:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've twice been able to get into 'booked solid' national parks - once Yellowstone and once Yosemite via cancellations.

And I once booked into the Grand Canyon and had to cancel . . . So some lucky person got that room at short notice.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 05:21 AM

You could most likely get a room, but it might not be at the lodge/cabin you want. It may or may not have a bathroom. You may have to move into a different cabin/room each day.
I would guess there were 15-20 people when I checked into Curry Village cabin, that were looking for any type of room. I do remember one couple getting one, but the rest were turned away.

I also think Yellowstone you probably are better off with 2 locations. Maybe 2 nights in each spot. So, when you start trying to get things arranged like that becomes increasingly more difficult.
Again, you could probably get lodging, but you may not(what are you going to do then). It may or may not be exactly what you want. Not the way I like to plan things. But I suppose a lot of folks do it like that.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Everyone - We decided to definitely book it for 2015. Now we can plan it how we want, instead of piecing it together based on what is left.

I didn't realize we might be able to book May 1st instead of June first - yikes - Now I have some serious planning to get done this week!
Old May 30th, 2014, 11:22 AM

I just tried booking for early June 2015 and a lot of the most desirable rooms are already sold out. I wanted to stay at Roosevelt for 2 nights and OF area for 2 nights. All the Roosevelt cabins with the bath are sold out for all of June and July 2015. I booked the one with the shared bath and will try and change to something else. I may book another lodge for the same dates as a backup and then cancel one later on. I don't like the fact that the shared bath means you have to go outside in the middle of the night, in the cold, if you need to pee.

I was able to get the first 2 nights at OF Frontier Cabin. Are those 2 good locations to be staying at to spend 4 days seeing the park?

I have not purchased flights yet-haven't decided which cities to use for flights as I also plan to visit GTNP on this trip.
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Those locations are fine. You don't want Old Faithful Inn? I booked 6 hours after the phone lines opened on May 1 and one of the nights I wanted at Roosevelt w/bath was already sold out as well.
I'm spending 4 nights there. 1 at Roosevelt and 3 at OFI. Last time we spent 1 night each at Roosevelt, Lake Hotel, OFI, and Colter Village in Tetons. I liked that, but we are going with another family on this trip and they didn't want to move every day.