Just returned from Kauai and BI

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Just returned from Kauai and BI

I can maybe give some ideas to anyone. We had a GREAT TIME!!!!
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 08:34 PM

Maybe you can...I'm in an interestig suitation (now, don't think me a snob!) We are going to Kauai in two weeks for 8 nights, staying the first 2 in Kapa'a and the last 6 in Po'ipu. We planned this last year but in April my husband lost his job. We're suckers for a good vacation so we're still going, but on a (gasp!) budget. It's a sin, I know. We loooooove great, not just good, but great food and usually spend a fortune on fine dining on our vacations. It's not unusual for us to drop $150/night on dinner. In Kauai, however, we'll spend a fortune and not even dine well, I'm afraid! Where can we eat really well for not a lot? Like $100/day for lunch and dinner for 2 of us? (That seems so ridiculous to ask, considering all I've the posts I've read about "$150 dinner & drinks for 2 that were just so-so". Some say eat pupus and have drinks at the bar...are there any places you would suggest doing that? We aren't into American food, burgers, sandwiches, ribs, whatnot. We love PacRim, Asian, Italian, Mexican, Greek, local or ethnic foods. Any suggestions? (other than "go get a job!)
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Stachi

One thing you will find is the food in Kauai is not that expensive. I was quite worried myself. I have heard sotries on how expensive it is. We went to several great places. My husband and I love great food and enjoy good restaurants too. It is doubtful that you will spend $100 for lunch and dinner, at least we didn't. These are my picks...

One thing to add, we stayed in Lihue and had a good deal at the Radisson which was very nice. So we did not venture to far from there.

Coconuts: it is inexpensive and good food. We had a great dinner there. It is in Lihue.

Kintaros: Japanese came recommended, but just okay.

Mema's Thai: Thai food. My husband loved it. The red curry is really good and he really enjoyed it.

Gaylords: Really classy resturant. Good food and not too badly priced.

Eggberts: Good breakfast and not expensive.

lemon Thyme was suggested to us, but did not go. We had so many places that we wanted to go to but just ran out of time. We were going to eat at Tidepools at the Hyatt in Poipu but did not have enough time. It is supposed to be really good, but expensive. There are many expensive places; but just as many "inexpensive" and decent places as well.

Let me know if I can help you out more.

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:31 PM

2 really great restaurants are Roy's in Poipu and A Pacific Cafe in Kapaa. Both are Pacific Rim cuisine. Both a bit expensive but if you can manage a splurge, do go. You might consider just going for a glass of wine and sharing a few of their great appetizers to cut down on the cost. You won't be disappointed.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the insight!!!