Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dinner at Lemongrass...lunch at Hanalei Dolphin on Kauai???

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Has anyone eaten at Lemongrass in Kauai lately and can give any opinions? I was really interested in their menu items listed online (and love sushi).

I also saw Hanalei Dolphin's web site and thought it would be a neat place to hang out and have lunch. Any thoughts?

As a little background this isn't my first time to Kauai. I've been to Beach House, Tidepools, Cafe Hanalei and Waimea Brewing Co and know which ones of those to visit again.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM

We had lunch at the Dolphin twice and enjoyed it. Had dinner at Postcards and liked it also. It's vegetarian with the exception of their fish dishes.

Shrimp Station on the other side of the island was great, especially the garlic shrimp.

Kauai Pasta was also excellent. It's a BYOB (they charge $5 for corkage). Enough food for lunch/dinner the next day.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I was thinking the same- that I have to try Hanalei Dolphin - if you go before I do, would you post how it was?

Also... general question...should I try musubi....?? ( sorry I didnt want to start a new post for that...)

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:28 AM
lvk

We had dinner twice at the Hanalei Dolphin and really enjoyed it (although the service the 2nd time was poor). We also bought their excellent ceviche, poke (ahi and tako), and ono salad from their fish market to enjoy at our condo.

If you love sushi, than you will probably enjoy Sushi Blues in Hanalei. The live music played there is a bonus .

Polynesia Cafe was also one of our favorites.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi - thanks everyone for your comments. I'm excited and all this talk makes me hungry (again)!

fraukie - I'm sorry but what is musubi?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:14 PM

oh...sorry that question was sort of for anybody- sorry I stole your post-...i believe it is ......now I don't want to insult anybody so please accept my apologie sif I get it wrong.... 'spam sushi'. I have seen it before...but never eaten it....should I try? I like sushi....but am not sure...
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:30 PM

We've eaten at the dinner Dolphin a few times and each time we were wishing we had gone for lunch! In the early evening watch the skeeters on the ankles!
There is a pretty little courtyard with lights at night where adorably wistful kitty cats lounged and waited for a tidbit here and there. Almost every time i've ordered their chowder for an appetizer. It is SO good..but ooh so filling and creamy, so share a bowl so ya still got the hunger for the main course! The dolphin has a fresh fish store behind the restaurant, too. Just in case you want to grill up that lunch/dinner with a few cold ones where you are staying!
For sushi..try restaurant kintaro. make a reservation a day early if you can! order a kilauea roll for me. yeeeeeeum! They also have a cajun roll...mmmm

i second that emotion re: the shrimp shack. i loved the coconut shrimp and also the adorable, laid back ukulele playing boys who were working the afternoon when i was last there.

Coconuts in Kapaa looks kinda hokey on the outside, right there on the main drag, but it is really quite nice and the food (especially the appetizers and drinks in my opinion) were super. There was a pretty darn good guitarist playing when i was last there, as well,
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:20 AM

Upon recommendation, we stopped at the Shrimp station/shack. I had the coconut shrimp, which were ok,but very greasy. also had dinner at Hanalei Doplphin- which was nice, I loved the huge salad. I only had the chowder as I wasn't very hungry (esp.after all the bread and salad...), and it was ok. we went to Cafe Coco twice, and I loved the Gumbo Meal there, plus they had good vegetarian options.
also- as I am going through the meals we had: we had Sunday Brunsch at Cafe hanalei/Princeville, which was very good.Sadly more food than I could manage! It seemed that a lot of locals go there, too.