Just curious about airline "mechanical problems"

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is more a curiousity question than anything else.

Recently, I took a plane from Phila to PHX that had to land in Pittsburgh because of mechanical problems. Then the second plan out of Pittsbgh got grounded for the same reason. All in all we had about a 6-hour delay.

I complained to the gate attendant and the airline that this was the same as getting bumped, and everyone on the plane should get a free ticket (it was USAir).

The response: "Mechanical problems are beyond our control." Really? Or is it just a case of poor maintenance?

The way I see it, a mechanical breakdown is the responsibility of the operator, and passengers (customers) who suffer as a result should be compensated.

Comments? And if this happened to anyone else, did the airline make up for it.
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM
GoTravel

Mechanical problems can be anything from the bathroom door will not properly close to the left wing just fell off the plane.

It can be innocent or potentially catastrophic.

There is no such thing as poor maintainence because the FAA is pretty strict.

Do they owe you anything? In good faith if you ask they should be accommodating.

Old May 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM

I suspect "mechanical problems" can include a number of other things as well - I don't know - the pilot showed up drunk and had to be replaced, for example. I think they just use that as a catch-all phrase to explain various kinds of delays.
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Northwest gave me a free ticket mechanical problems caused an extremely long delay.

Have you checked USAir's Terms of Service?

Keith
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Anyone want to volunteer to fly on a plane with "mechanical problems" - I just take their word for it - if something needs to be fixed, I prefer they do it before we take off.
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:00 PM

gail,
I agree. We waited about 30 min for a AA 757 flt (MIA-STO) and I witnessed the ground crew "probing" the starboard engine. I thought it ate a bird, but it ate a cardboard box while taxiing. A takeoff would not have been fun without the diligence of the various crews.
M
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:43 PM

I've noticed that, since 9/11, airlines are generally a lot more forthcoming about the exact nature of any "mechanical problems," I assume to relieve any paranoia. So I'm surprised you couldn't get more specific information.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Uh, not to be too sarcastic, but K-4-9 was flying USAir. They're not exactly known for their stellar customer service.
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:25 PM

After a several hour delay on a Northwest flight due to mechanical problems, I was given a $50 voucher.
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Funny you should mention this tonight! My daughter just got a $100-voucher from United after a mechanical problem caused her to miss a connecting flight in March to Belgium.
She had written a complaint to them because in addition to the night she had to pay for a hotel while she was still sitting in an airport, they told them when they took off that it was just a "mechanical problem" .. my daughter said to United, sometimes Ignorance IS bliss...did I have to fly for 7 hours, wondering about that mechanical problem?
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:40 PM

I recently had my flight cancelled for mechanical problems. The airline paid for hotel and meal vouchers, as well as coupons for fare discounts. I was bumped up to first class on the next a.m. flight. I figure the airline sure didn't make any money on my behalf, and would not have cancelled the flight if it wasn't necessary. I can think of few industries more challenged than the airlines and I would rather err on the side of safety. Airfares in general are a bargain; compare a jet charter if you doubt this.
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:16 AM
GoTravel

I've never had anything but excellent customer service with USAir.

One of the reasons I stopped flying Delta and switched my FF program was because of Delta's crappy customer service.

It's funny. You ask 100 people who has the worst and best customer service and you'll get 100 different answers.

Old May 20th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, but I need to clarify a couple of things:
1. I never advocated that the airline ignore a mechanical problem and just take off into the wild blue yonder. I'm still not sure how some people read that into the post. Of course, no one wants to fly on a plane w/mechanical problems!
2. As for the comment that there's "no such thing as poor maintenance" becaus the FAA is pretty tight -- gimme a break. That's like saying there's no such thing as crime because we have police. Proper maintenance all depends on that guy with the wrench in his hand at the moment. The FAA can check maintentance logs, but that doesn't guarantee "proper" maintenance.