Juneau whale watching vs. Victoria

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juneau whale watching vs. Victoria

I am trying to decide whether to go with Orca Adventures in Juneau for whale watching August 12th or wait till we arrive in Vancouver a few days later and go to Victoria to do it. In Juneau we'd see more humpback whales and in Victoria it would be orcas, minke and Dall's porpoises. Since we're going on boat trips in Kenai and PWSound we're spending plenty of $ on trips and I need to start being selective. You get a guarantee on Orca Adventures which I didn't see for Victoria but they did say July and August it was almost 100% since those were the best months. One nice thing is we could charter a zodiac in Victoria for half the price of Juneau. How well can you see the whales? Has anyone taken these trips and can tell me what you think?
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:34 PM

I have been in both areas whale watching many times. I would make your selection based on whale priority?? It's not a given for whales on Kenai fjords boat trips, my sightings averages less than 50%. Victoria is not likely for minke or dall's porpoises either, I 've never seen them there and the sightings of minkes are very chance brief sporatic and difficult to track. So I would base the choice on orca or humpback.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:06 AM

The viewing from a zodiac-boat is not so good. You can't change you seating position and other people can disturb your viewing opportunities (although they do not intend to do so).

I prefere a watertaxi-type of boat for whalewhatching, as you have little more flexibility regarding the viewing directions(you can move on the deck and your are protected against wind and rain in case of bad weather). Addtional advantagee is the higher point of gravity. You seating in a zodiac is also very close to the sea and this might distrub good views on the whales in case of high waves.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:56 AM

I actually greatly prefer the zodiacs, BUT I make sure I get the back row with Seacoast Expediations. Superior views of orcas from the water. I have done both.