Search

July 4th in DC

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July 4th in DC

My family will be staying in Alexandria VA (Washington Suites, Alexandria) for a week and visiting DC the week of July 4th. We are looking forward to the parades and fireworks at the Mall and understand that this is a very busy time of year there.
My concerns/questions are, when the fireworks are done, approx. how long will it take us to get back to Alexandria? How early do we need to get there to view the fireworks? Are there any tricks that will make all this easier/smoother.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM

I would caution against going to the Mall. We went a couple years ago and it took use 2 1/2 hours to get on the metro. It is much better to watch from the Alexandria/Arlington side of the river. Ft. Myers is a wonderful place from which to watch.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM

We always go to the Mall but we always park at least a 10-minute walk away.

Getting hom on the Metro or even by car can take a LONG time.

If you are willing to be very patient it can be worth itto be, literally, right UNDER the firworks but a good many prefer to watch them from elsewhere.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM

The only really reasonable way to get away from the Mall after the fireworks is by Metro. It will take quite awhile to actually get on a train and then you will have to go all the way to Van Dorn, where you will need to get a shuttle to your hotel (because your hotel isn't Metro accessible) or get your car.

If you are on vacation, think of it as an adventure. But it will take time.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM

Note that earlier in the day, a group of costumed actors will read the Declaration of Independence in Union Station. It's a great ceremony. Union Station is on the Red Line.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM

Seriously -- it could take you over 2 hours to get on the Metro. I'd say if you are going to do the fireworks on the Mall -- research a fun place to go in the District afterwards that you could walk to (not sure where that would be since the Mall really isn't close to that much) -- yeah, I think I'd agree with an earlier poster -- find a place across the water to watch the fireworks. I've lived all over the country -- NYC, Seattle -- and no one even comes close to DC traffic.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:41 PM

If you manage your expectations about the slow process of clearing hundreds of thousands of people from the Mall, you'll be fine.

Just don't be in a hurry to leave and then any stress vanishes. We do it most years and always have a good time.

Depending on the ages of kids (if any) pack a frisbee and a ball to toss around, I can remember some very fun all ages, impromptu soccer games on the the Washington monument as we awaited the show. Pack a light blanket.

It's a bit of a walk but the Chinatown area has a great concentration of restaurants and bars that are fun options post-fireworks.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:43 PM

I second, third, fourth the above--it will take hours to get on the Metro after the fireworks. But repete is exactly right--if you prepare for that ahead of time, you can have fun afterward and cruise back to the hotel relatively stress-free. The worst is spending two hours standing in line to get into the Smithsonian Metro station--why on earth do that??
Btw, one year my friends and I walked home to Alexandria. Yep. All the way.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:53 PM

I've done the Mall three times and haven't regretted it ever. Yes it takes a while to clear the mall, but being prepared - and waiting on your picnic blanket an hour or so after the show, helps a lot.

Smithsonian metro is always closed on 4th July, so you have to walk to one of the other stations.

The first time we did it we sat right under the Washington Monument, which was a great experience. The last time I went we sat at the North end of the Mall closer to the Capitol. The views from there are great, and it's usually not as crowded.

Remember that you have to go through security to get onto the Mall, that can take upto an hour, wonder around to other entrances, there's usually a shorter line a block away.

Also the Smithsonian Folklife Festival has been happening the last few times I've been, that's great to while away the time from when you get your spot til the fireworks.

We usually get to the Mall around 3pm and get a pretty good spot. Then afterwards just relax for a while before you start moving towards the stations. Also walking further to a station will usually mean a less crowded station, but probably standing room only on the train. You can see my pics of the last event here: http://sprongb.phanfare.com/album/16...mageID=9363411

Oh the pics of the rain was because the entire mall was evacuated because of thunderstorms. But we all got back and got pretty good seats again.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful information, Since this will be our first and possible the last 4th of July trip to DC, we decieded to take our chances and go to the Mall to watch the fireworks...now I read on some forums that many resturants are closed because most people bring picnic dinners...is this true?
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:04 AM

I don't know that "most restaurants are closed." I ate at Les Halles, off Penn. Ave. (i.e., one block off the Mall) last July 4th, and other restaurants seemed open around it.

Just plan ahead and call around to some of the restaurants you're considering.

And be vey, very patient getting to and from the Mall on the 4th. There are so many people, so many street closings, and so much traffic. We live locally, and once the fireworks are over, the police essentially give the right of way to pedestrians for several minutes at a time. Walking would be so much better than a car - it took us forever to get out of DC by car because of all the pedestrians and road closures. Walk away from the mall to a restaurant, then after an hour or two, try the Metro.
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:08 AM

We live in the City and attend the show at the mall when we are in town.

One hint regarding security to get onto the mall. Go through the Museum of National History. It open onto the mall and you can enter it from Constitution Avenue..go straight through the museum and out the back entrance onto the mall. We do this every year and it takes about 10 minutes versus over an hour in some of the other lines.
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM

The Museum of American History is closed for renovations til 2008. You can probably go through the Museum of Natural History though.

As far as food goes - there's lots of different stall type food available at the Folk Life Festival - that's where we've normally eaten. Can't help you on restaurants.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I've only gone once and that was enough for me, but it is an experience. If you have little children, be very careful with them and the metro, as it can be dangerous due to the crowds, pushing, etc. I think it ony took me about an hour to get on a car afterwards, but that was at least ten years ago and I haven't been back.

I've never heard of anything about restaurants closing due to that, sounds kind of odd to me. That would be a prime business day for people who don't want to picnic on the Mall. The problem is you would have to eat early in order to go to the Mall to get a good spot. Unless you didn't care about that. I went around 6 pm with some sandwiches, and that was long enough wait for me (several hours). I went to the area near the Capitol building (in front) where the orchestra plays, and that wasn't as crowded as some more prime areas, I suppose, and wasn't going to be as appealing to the young and rowdy (who go near the monument, as there is different kind of music down there than the light pops-stuff). You aren't quite a close there, but it's still a good view. I think afterwards we went to Union Station metro stop, and that's the one that took an hour or more to get on.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Those who do this every year bring a cooler and go early to get a convenient parking space. If you go BEFORE 11:00am, look for spaces around the DC Courthouse at 500 Indiana Avenue, NW. Just keep going farther away from The Mall until you get something.

Bring a cooler on wheels and, when you get your spot, stay there. Bring plenty of liquids. DC can be very hot and humid in summer and who wants to pay captive audience prices for food and drink.

I live here. What do I do on the 4th? Normally I watch on TV. The estimates of 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get off The Mall after the fireworks are not wrong. As others have said, Smithsonian Metro will be closed. You will need to WALK elsewhere when you are already exhausted. You did not mention the ages of your children, but hopefully they are older. Cranky is not what you need.

This year, folks, on the 4th of July I will be flying over the Atlantic to go on a European holiday. Why the 4th? It is always cheaper to fly on a holiday.

Enjoy the fireworks and bring an enormous amount of patience. You will need it--and then some.