JFK to Upper West Side during rush hour?

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 06:17 PM
walera

JFK to Upper West Side during rush hour?

Hi -- I am planning to arrive at JFK at 5pm on a Wednesday in October. Is a taxi the fastest way to get to my hotel on Central Park West? Do you think an hour is a reasonable estimate, or will it be longer because of rush hour? Finally, is it true that the fare will be a fixed $35 (I read in this forum that that's the case, but not sure whether that applied to midtown only). Thanks!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 07:02 PM
thereuare

I think 1 hour is optimistic, more likely 1 1/2 hours, and if traffic is real bad, even that could be optimistic.

The fare is fixed to anywhere in Manhattan, and i THINK it's still $35 plus tolls and tip (although the taxi drivers have been petitioning for an increase).

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 07:15 PM
marnie

You never know how long the ride will take. Depends on the weather, accidents, construction, the tunnel, and your driver. Thank God the fare is a set $35. Nothing is worse than sitting there and watching that meter click and click and click and..........

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:21 PM
x

I live on the upper west side and can't count the times I have traveled to and from JFK at every conceivable time. The longest the trip ever took was 1 hour and 10 minutes. Unless there is a major traffic problem one hour is reasonable. Fare is fixed at $35 and there is a $3.50 toll if the drivr uses a toll facility and it is almost certain he will. With a tip cost will be under $45.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 09:31 PM
missjanna

What you believe is true, although JFK is the farthest airport from Manhattan. I would say between an hour and an hour and a half is realistic. If you're not willing to shell out about $40 total for a cab, I would recommend taking NY Airport Service which would run you about $11 - $12 from JFK and if you call or reserve online at www.nyairportservice.com I believe they will drop you at your hotel. They have bus stops at every terminal. I took them 3 weeks ago and had no problems.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 01:45 AM
tweedy

FORGET taking a cab or shuttle service during rush hour you will just be sitting in traffic. Since your hotel is on CPW, I would take the train and the A train from JFK goes up CPW. Depending on where your hotel is located you can get off at 59th St. and walk from there or get the C (a local train) to stops further uptown.

Good luck and welcome to NYC.

tweedy