JFK to Penn Station Underground?

Mar 9th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

JFK to Penn Station Underground?

I'm arriving JFK after 9 p.m. on Sunday (provided I can even get in with the predicted weather). I have always taken a cab into the city, but I'm not thrilled about being on icy roads this time so I'm wondering how I would go about getting there on the subway. Any suggestions? Would it be safe to take the subway late at night if my flight is delayed arriving?
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM

The subway does not go that far. But I've taken a taxi from LaGuardia to the subway and vice versa. Ask the cabbie to take you to the nearest subway stop. That stop is very safe but there are no elevators (if there are I don't know where they put them) so if you have luggage you will have to lug it up.

But...if I were you I'd just take the cab. It will be cold and awkward with your luggage. I'm sure the cabbie knows how to handle icy roads.
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM
KT

Although the subway doesn't go right into the airport, there is an AirTrain that connects JFK to two subway stations. This website gives details:
http://www.airtrainjfk.com/airtrain/

I havn't done it yet, but have heard that it works smoothly.
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

KT, I was thinking of AirTran but haven't heard a lot about how smooth or easy it is. Thanks for the website. After looking at it, seems like it will just be a lot less hassel to take a cab and say my prayers.
Mar 9th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Hassel?

From most JFK terminals, there are covered walkways directly to the AirTrain ($5). It runs every few minutes to Jamaica. Transfer to the LIRR platform, and LIRR runs every about 15 minutes to Penn Station. Last LIRR on Sunday night leaves 11:36pm and arrives NY Penn Station 11:56.

While the LIRR ($5) is a little more expensive than the subway, it's also faster.
Mar 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Actually, I think you can get the "CityTicket" for weekend on the LIRR for $3. So, $8 to Mid-town in an hour.
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the further info, rkkwan. (Sorry for my typo)

It doesn't seem to be that difficult if we had only carry on baggage but since this is a shopping trip we will have a few larger, empty suitcases that we'll be lugging along as well, and there are only two of us. I guess I will give it some thought. It will also depend on whether or not our flight arrives on time or before the last train.
Mar 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM
adoptionisfab

Going back tot he airport Airtran would be good but at 9:00pm at night do you really want to start exploring NYC? A cab is probably your best bet for 2.
Look at this website for details:
http://www.citidex.com/20.htm#C1559

Mar 9th, 2005, 01:58 PM

I hear the AirTrain is really simple and easy Statia. Why not see how you're feeling and what time you get in (and how many taxis are around). If the suitcases are empty, you're lucky and you have options. I agree, especially if your destination is Penn Station, the AirTrain LIRR combo is better than the AirTrain subway option.
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

In thinking about it a little more I guess we will just play it by ear. I agree with adoptionisfab. I'm all for being adventurous, but I'm not sure I want to be wandering around unfamiliar stations late at night after I've been traveling since 7 a.m., not to mention having more luggage than my usual 22" rolling suitcase.

If it were mid-day I would have absolutely no problem giving AirTran a try even if it meant I might get turned around. However, the time of night and having extra luggage makes me think twice.

Thanks for the extra advice, Mclaurie. I guess we'll just see how late it is and if we feel up to the venturing of new territory. I know my way around Manhattan pretty well, but as I said before I've only done a cab or car from JFK before.
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM
GoTravel

I've done the AirTrain and it simply isn't worth the hassle for me.

I order a car for the trip to the airport and take a cab from the airport to the city.

Mar 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, GoTravel. That's what we usually do, too...cab into the city, car service out.

I'll let you all know what we end up doing and how it goes.