Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Transportation from Kennedy to Manhattan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am meeting my daughter (age 20) in NYC for a weekend visit. She arrives into Kennedy airport (from Seattle) at 5:00 p.m. on a Thursday. What would the best way for her to get into the city. I thought a cab might get caught in rush hour traffic. Is there train service? Could anyone advise me what would be the best way to travel into the city at that time. She returns on Sunday(flight at 6:00 p.m.) a cab might be the choice at that time? Thank you in advance for any help and advice.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:24 AM

Doesn't really matter if she gets caught in traffic since it is a $35 flat rate for a taxi (plus toll and tip) INTO Manhattan from JFK. The return trip will be "on the meter." For her Sunday flight, I would suggest if she plans to take a cab to leave before 4 and to allow plenty of time to catch a cab since 4-5 pm can be one of the toughest times to catch a cab in NYC (shift change).
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:27 AM

By "best", do you mean cheapest, fastest, or most hassle-free?

Where in Manhattan does she need to go?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Hi Mary 54,
If your daughter doesn't have a lot of luggage I suggest the new Airtrain from JFK. I have taken it 3 times now and it's very fast, secure and cheap. The Airtrain is a monorail that stops at each JFK terminal. You take it and change either to the Jamaica Long Island Railroad station or the Howard Beach stop of the subway. If your daughter takes it to the LIRR station in Jamaica she can get the train there to Penn Station at 33rd St. and 7th Ave. in Manhattan. The total trip will take her about 1 hour and there is no worry about traffic, taxi lines etc. The Airtrain costs $5 each way and the LIRR is $4.75 for an off-peak ticket. This option will save her time and money over the taxi option. Just email me at [email protected] if you'd like step by step directions.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:18 AM

I will second the recommendation for the AirTrain. It's convenient and there are no concerns about the traffic.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Here's a website with ALL the options

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsmain.htm

I'm not sure she'd be entitled to "off peak" LIRR ticket. She'll be traveling in rush hour. I've also read on some other threads here that there are still a few "bugs" in the air-train service that cause delays.

I think it depends on where she's going in the city & whether you're being budget conscious. The shuttle busses are good if her final destination is near one of their stops. If not, adding $ for a cab from there(or time to change to another bus for a hotel) is a waste IMO.

It's true a cab is a flat fare of $35. Share-a-ride is a good option. The best is if she meets someone on the plane going nearby to share a car with them.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Little luggage -- AirTrain/subway

Luggage too much to carry up stairs etc -- taxi or car service

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:36 AM

LIRR trains going to Manhattan in the evening rush are off-peak fare. The AirTrain runs 24 hours a day and yes there has been an occasional mechanical problem but nothing major. AirTrain is certainly more reliable than the average NYC taxi cab!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. She will be going to the Hilton at the Ave. of the Americas. She will just have a small carryon bag with her. A cab seems easier, but how long would it take at that time of day compared to the hour by train? If the time savings is significant, I think the train would be the way to go. Thank you again.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:56 AM

At that time it will take at least an hour to get into Manhattan from JFK since there is alot of commute traffic. The train will probably be about the same time, ore a little faster. The bottom line is the cost: $7.00 for the Airtrain/subway or $35 + toll + tip = $43 for the cab.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Tkay, for the info. I will pass this on to my daughter. I take the train form LG to the city and am happy not to have the traffic. I appreciate everyones help. Mary
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:44 PM

Your welcome mary54.

Here's a website with information on te AirTrain at JFK.

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/jfk_broch1.html

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 12:57 PM

ttp