Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Jet Blue to NYC "healthy "snacks to take???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Limitations in my diet--low fat, low sugar--
I usually take my own turkey sandwich but am stumped about additional snacks..
Banana or orange and trail mix O.K. but becoming boring. Most "energy" bars are too sweet. I love donuts & pastries but are not on my list...
Any suggestions???
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:11 AM

We take jerky, cereal, peanut butter crackers, granola bars, fruit or fruit chews, carrots, bread sticks....
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 06:20 AM

I must agree with viking. Unless your flight is over three or four hours, is it really necessary to sit on the plane and eat? I guess I don't get it, because I eat normal meals and don't sit around all day snacking continuously. And I for one don't really appreciate food smells from all around me. No, I don't just mean pastrami sandwiches (which I've also encountered), but even the smell of bananas can be annoying to those around you who aren't eating. And I sat next to a woman eating an apple which was the juiciest and noisiest apple I've ever heard!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:11 AM
GoTravel

If you are on a low sugar diet, you had better eliminate bananas. They are one of the highest fruits on the glycemic index.

Better choices; turkey breast meat (skip bread, unless it is whole grain wheat, not enriched wheat, it is full of sugar), no salt peanuts, brocolli, apples, low moisture mozz cheese.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:12 AM
GoTravel

Also, read the back of your energy bars. Any that are made with partially hydrogonized oils are very bad for you.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:25 AM

ANYTHING made with partially hydrogenated oils is bad for you, because, apparently, those oils don't dissolve but clog up your blood stream. Also heard that one needs only an accumulation of a teaspoon of these oils over a lifetime for fatal consequences to result! Mebbe tomorrow the scientists will tell us something different, but that's the message for today!

Easy, folks! Some people don't have the luxury of staying without food for a long flight. There are people who need to eat frequently and in moderation.

traveler24: jerky, cereal - islandmom has some good suggestions. Also lots and lots of water. Up high you will get dehydrated and drinking water helps.

Have a nice trip!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:43 AM
GoTravel

jason, reading the back of the many different kinds of energy/power bars, it is shocking how many contain PHOs and trans fats. Probably 75% of those on the market.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 09:11 AM
scs

I am continually looking for foods that do not contain PHO. I have found that the Chocolate Peanut Crunch flavor of Pria bars by Power Bar does not have any PHO. They also have 4 grams of soy protein.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:04 AM

GoTravel:

Yes! Those nasty PHOs are EVERYWHERE!

Look on the boxes for cookies, crackers, even "health" foods, like power bars

Also any packaged foods of pre-cooked chicken, lasagna, or anything else in the freezer section - those foods you can pick up and "just heat". Loads of PHOs.

Just a temptation to go for "natural" foods like fruit and vegetables - except that they may be genetically modified - LOL!

Like the guavas out of Hawaii. Bigger is not always better. Was in Whole Foods a couple of days ago and those "organic" heirloom tomatoes looked so misshapened!

I think I'm growing donkey's ears with all these tampered-with foods!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:36 AM
GoTravel

Gen Soy also makes a good energy bar. They have 14 grams of Soy protein.

Scary how much crap is being put in our food. The salt/fat/package food aisle is the worst!

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Oh, that made me think of soy beans which people here love.

I have low blood sugar plus a toddler and with the delays of travel those snacks have saved us many times.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:01 PM
GoTravel

Alisa, go to the American Medical Association's website (www.ama-assn.org) or the American Heart Association's website (www.americanheart.org) for factual information.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:02 PM
scs

I have found that I totally avoid the boxed cracker/cookie aisle and the frozen food aisle. Too much junk. I do get some good convenience foods at Whole Foods. I have also heard how transfats just sit in your arteries! My 11 year old had open-heart surgery when he was 9 to repair a valve, I'm not about to feed him all those PHOs! I want his repaired heart to last till he's 100!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 01:45 PM

BTW, everyone could take a lesson from "Islandmom" who always posts great ideas and helpful comments, with never a mean word...