Search

jersey shore

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jersey shore

i need advice where to stay on the jersey shore, I usually vacation in nantucket but do to time constraints cant make it. Is there anything similar?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM

I've never vacationed in Nantucket, but have spent many a summer at the Jersey Shore. Are you looking for a family vacation destination or a place for couples, singles?

For starters you might try Spring Lake or Long Beach Island (LBI)...
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:36 AM

Haven't been to nantucket but have been to martha's vineyard. the closet to that type feel would likely be either Cape May or stone harbor with kids you would want a boardwalk town like ocean city or wildwood (but wildwood not so nice as ocean city) my vote for adult travel would be cape may.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:35 AM

I can help you out with the southern Jersey shore, from Cape May north to Atlantic City.

Cape May is a lovely town with a lighthouse, victorian homes, pedestrian shopping area, and a nice beach where you can gather "Cape May Diamonds". There is a theatre company which puts on productions somewhere in town, but, sorry, I can't think of the name right now. You can also take the ferry to Lewes (sp?), Delaware from Cape May.

Wildwood has a boardwalk, which I always felt was geared toward the younger generation - rides, mini-golf, rock climbing - lots of activities, a very "busy" boardwalk. In town, there are many bars to choose from, some with live music.

Ocean City is a dry town so it is more family oriented and laid back. They have a nice boardwalk with an amusement park at one end for the kids, then blocks and blocks of little shops and places to eat (boardwalk/carnival food), with an occasional mini-golf in between. Ocean City is my favorite boardwalk (we stay in Sea Isle City when we "go down the shore"), and I must recommend Salt Water Taffy and fudge from Shriver's, the oldest candy store on the boardwalk, located at Boardwalk and Ninth Street.

Then there is Atlantic City. If you are into the gambling and night life, this is the place to go.

In between these four towns/cities there are many other smaller communities that have nice beaches - Stone Harbor, Avalon, North Wildwood, Sea Isle City, Strathmere, Margate.

Please be warned that all of the towns I mentioned require a beach tag to access the beach. These can be bought in town. The beach tag pays for the lifeguards and maintaining the beach. It's been a while since I've been down the shore, so this might have changed, but the beach between Sea Isle City and Strathmere use to be free access - of course you swim at your own risk.

The Garden State Parkway (toll road) runs north-south, so if you stayed in Cape May, you could be in Atlantic City in about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. If you do decide to visit the southern Jersey shore, I recommend a drive along the "coastal highway" - follow the seagull signs - which runs from Cape May to Atlantic City, through all the towns I just mentioned. There are 4 toll bridges along the road, so bring some quarters, and be patient, you might have to wait for the bridge to raise to let passing boats through. Peace. >-

Robyn
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM

N Wildwood, Wildwood, Wildwood Crest, and Strathmere do not require beach tags. Its free.