I hate Ocean City MD - alternatives?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to offend anyone, but I REALLY hate crowds, so I really hate Ocean City, MD. My sister lives in Baltimore, and I live in Richmond, and she wants to plan a family vacation there. Any alternative beaches? Rehoboth?
Bethany? I have suggested the Outer Banks to her, but it would be a really long drive for them.
(they aren't as flexible as we are in driving). Any other places I haven't thought of ? Thanks.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:44 PM

I used to love Rehoboth,,went there all the time. Have not been for many years but used to love it's atmosphere.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Rehoboth, alas, has lost some of its charm over the years.

The Outer Banks would certainly be an excellent choice, but since that's out,

LEWES. It's close to Rehoboth, still has much of that small-time feel, and has the virtue of two beaches: Ocean side at Cape Henlopen, and bayside is Lewes Beach. And, you can take the ferry over to Cape May if you want a nice day trip.

Be forewarned, though: If you venture out from Lewes with the idea of going to Rehoboth (or, indeed, points south,) be prepared for serious traffic jams.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Say it ain't so, Bookhall, I used to LOVE Rehoboth ...bummer.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM

I still like Rehoboth, but I adore Ocean City, MD (it manages to be simultaneously wholesome and honky-tonk in a really remarkable way), so Linda8 and I probably don't have the same taste in beach resorts. What about something like Fenwick? Very near to Ocean City, so your sister could visit it to her heart's content, but a whole lot quieter. Lewes is an excellent suggestion, too, and the ferry ride is fun. Lots of Jersey shore points too, although it's a longer drive for you. Cape May might be a good compromise between action and quiet. Does your sister actively enjoy the crowds and action, or is Ocean City just the beach that occurred to her?
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM

What about as an alternative going to Deep Creek Lake instead.

I'm with you and don't care for Ocean City or any of the Delaware beaches.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Agree with Persimmondeb that Fenwick would be a good compromise. It always cracks me up as I drive north from OC into Fenwick, Delaware because it is so obvious where the state line is. OC is full of high rises and Fenwick has 2 story buildings. Cape May is a good idea too, but then you've got the addiional time and expense of the ferry ride.

I still like Rehoboth, though. It has a boardwalk for family fun, but not as full on honky-tonk as OC. I like Lewes as well, its got more of that old time charm (but no boardwalk).

The traffic on Route 1 between the Delaware beach towns can be realy bad, especially at peak hours. I try my best to avoid trips on Route 1 near Rehoboth antytime Saturdays between 11-4 when weekly rentals turn over.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM

If you are interested in actually going into the water I would definitely pick Rehoboth over Lewes.

Actually, I think in many ways Rehoboth has IMPROVED over the years in terms of really good restaurants, etc.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Rehoboth, Dewey, Stone Harbor or Cape May. I'm with you - I hate Ocean City!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM

i suggest fenwick as well. i enjoyed the weekend there last summer. it's only minutes away from ocean city, but much more of a family feel. the driving is stressful, and they ticket you like crazy. but a nice time.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM

I recommend Sandbridge, VA which is just south of Virginia Beach (I think it is technically part of VA Beach). Has much of the charm of the Outer Banks without it being so long of a drive from Richmond and Baltimore.

Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM

Unfortunately we bought a beach house in Ocean City and totally regret it ! We are on the north end close to Bethany that we love !! That's the only good part ! We always head north for dinner, shopping etc.

Ocean City - especially at night is really scary !Very rough crowds!!

Bethany is the place to be !!
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 10:56 AM

Old thread Sue
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
People who can't afford to live in Rehoboth buy houses in Bethany Beach...may be an old thread but it certainly isn't an old story.