Jerome/Prescott AZ Question

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Jerome/Prescott AZ Question

My hubby and I will be in Phoenix the end of this month and are planning a day-trip to Prescott and Jerome. (We went to Sedona for a few days on our last Arizona trip, so we're not planning on going there this trip -- not enough time.)

Since these towns are in the mountains, and I understand the roads are quite windy, with hairpin turns -- What's the best way to drive into Jerome -- From the north heading south, i.e., coming from Cottonwood (and then we'll catch Prescott on our way back to Phoenix), OR from the south heading north, i.e., coming from Prescott?

Basically, I'm looking for which direction is less scary with less driving on the outer lane on those hairpin turns! Or, do you get better views coming in from the north or south? Thanks.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:10 AM

The roads into jerome are really not that bad at all. Its not like the Rockies, or Italy. Don't worry about it. But do enjoy Jerome and make sure you go to the artists coop. I went there in vacation last year and bought a lot of great stuff- much less expensive and nicer thatn what I say in Sedona and Phoenix. Have fun. Wish I were going also.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Come in from Cottonwood. Only the last half mile are swithbacks. Not scary at all. Stop at Tuzigoot on the way. Eat at "The Asylum" (all the way at the top in the building that was the former asylum and is now a hotel. Fabulous views, wine list and cheap good food.)
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:56 AM

I also have a question about jerome ~

Everyone recommends having lunch in jerome; does this mean the community isn't open for dinner? Sounds silly, but since the dinner hour is when we'll be there, thought i better ask!?
Thanks.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:56 AM

I agree that the roads going into Jerome aren't all that bad. I'm not a big fan of hairpin curves or cliff hanging roads and did the drive with my in-laws, while pulling a camper. Maybe my FIL is just a really good driver, but I was surprised that I was not nervous in the least. It was actually more scenic than scarey.

Have a good trip!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! What is Tuzigoot and where is that?

Do you know approximately how long the drive is to Jerome from the Mesa area? I think we'll head out early, go north up 17, cut over to Cottonwood, catch 89A into Jerome, and then on to Prescott.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Tuzigoot National Monument

http://www.americansouthwest.net/ari..._monument.html

In the area I also recommend Walnut Canyon and Wupatki.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Dinner works also. Most people go for a day trip and lunch works best. (After dinner you would be driving down in the dark and that may discourage people.)
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Thank you John, thats kinda what i thought. Maybe we'll make it an earlier dinner afterall.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Yes, dinner in Jerome but also Cottonwood on the way back, such as Tavern Grille with excellent chili.

As for Prescott, plenty of nice eating places on the square, including some on the old whiskey row.

See "Back from Arizona: a trip report."

ozarksbill
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:43 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
Just ate at the Asylum Restaurant at the Grand Hotel (the old hospital on top of the hill) in Jerome for lunch and it was outstanding!
Plus, it's haunted!
Have fun..