Jazz & Comedy Clubs in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again, we've looked at Birdland, Iridium and Blue Note and would just like to hear any opinions good or bad out there please. Also, am completely lost with comedy clubs, is the 'Gotham Comedy Club' any good. All information very gratefully received.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:29 AM

I recently went to the Blue Note. I thought the show was excellent although I am not a "jazz" person. My friend is & he enjoyed it too. They have a great calendar & they post it well in advance. Ticket prices are competitive in the industry. Go early for best seating. We had dinner too. The food is very good. Drinks are on par with City prices. Easy to get to. We had fun.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:31 AM

Doesn't it depend on who is performing?
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:54 AM

Adu makes a good point. You'll want to check the websites of all the various venues to see who's playing where while you're here. And, Laurie's right: The Blue Note is one of the City's, if not the world's, premier jazz clubs.

Two places you didn't mention, Lissa, are the Village Vanguard and Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola. The former is (where else?) in Greenwich Village, the latter in the Time Warner Building on Columbus Circle (at 59th and Broadway). Dizzy's is a great venue, where the performers are backed up by a glass wall overlooking Columbus Circle, Central Park and the East Side skyline.

And another good place, Jazz Standard, sits directly beneath a pretty good BBQ'd ribs place (Blue Smoke) on East 27th Street. Their online calendar doesn't currently extend beyond the end of April, however.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:09 AM

Great point, Adu & B. That is why I mentioned the Blue Note's calendar. Alot of places don't post that far in advance. I am a Jazz novice so, to me, it didn't really matter who was playing. But it did to my friend, who is very advanced on the jazz scene. We happened to have picked a group with a Sax choir because we both love the sax. But I still don't think you can go wrong with the Blue Note, even if you are unfamiliar with the musicians.

I looked into the schedules of all the clubs mentioned on this thread, plus Sweet Rhythms (for NYers, it is the old Sweet Basil). But I live here so it didn't matter when we went. Prices are all pretty much the same, the schedule times vary slightly as do the performers.

Whichever you choose, you will enjoy it.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:24 AM

Also check out the Comix comedy club. I saw Craig Ferguson there but don't know much about their schedule of comedians.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I enjoyed a recent show at EastVille Comedy Club. http://eastvillecomedy.com/

As far as jazz clubs, I have only been to Iridium and Jazz Standard. At Iridium, there was a charge for admission and a minimum for food or drink. At Jazz Standard, there was an admission charge but no minimum. On the other hand, at Jazz Standard there is really good barbecue from the restaurant Blue Smoke, so I ended up eating dinner there both times I went.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM

Went to the Comic Strip, East 80's. We laughed for 4 hours!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:27 AM

A comedian is doing a 1 man show in the Village called "Sleepwalk with me". It was hilarious, cheap with the broadwaybox discount and in a great spot.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Wow and thanks. We had been trying to find the name of Dizzy's as friends couldn't for the life of them remember the name. We're going to go to two clubs so maybe Dizzy's and Blue Note. Still finding a comedy club tricky but will look at the ones suggested above. Thankyou, Lissa
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:17 PM

Two years ago when we were in NYC we tried to book the Blue note but couldn't gt in so we tried the Lennox Lounge instead. I thought it was great. Wonderful art deco and intimate area and the 4 piece band were terrific. The guy on the bass was a dead ringer for Manyard of Dobbie Gilles fame (showing my age). The Lenox Lounge 288 Lenox Ave. (btwn. 124th & 125th St.)