Search

Jacksonville, Amelia, St. Augustine???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacksonville, Amelia, St. Augustine???

Greetings from Connecticut!

I just booked my first flight to Florida and am very excited about leaving New England in January and spending a few sunny days (hopefully!) in the sunshine.

I am flying into Jacksonville and was thinking of spending a day there (do I need more?), one day on Amelia Island and one day in St. Augustine. I would also like to see the Kennedy Space Center and maybe, just maybe, Sea World or Animal Kindgom.

A friend who is moving to Gainsville will be available to drive me and even provide accommodations. I still would like a hotel, however, for a couple of nights to save on back-and-forth driving.

My questions are:
- Where should we spend a couple of nights - Jacksonville or St. Augustine? Any specific hotels you recommend?
- Should I dedicate a day to seeing Gainsville?
- Any attractions that are must sees?

I have checked www.visitflorida.com, but I want to hear from the residents. I love art and history, nature, the ocean, and a bit of shopping (one afternoon okay, not an entire vacation - ha ha).

I have six full days to fill and would love your ideas.

Thank you!

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 01:21 PM

i live in the Gainesville area and enjoy the St. Augustine area much more than Jacksonville. I would plan to spend most of your time there.

I would recommend the Gainesville area in the summer to swim in the springs in the area, or possibly canoe the Santa Fe River, but it will probably be very chilly in January. There are a few good museums in Gainesville, and Paynes Prairie, where you will probably see alligators and possibly wild horse and/or bison during a hike, so if you're into nature I'd plan a visit.

The Orlando attractions are two hours away if you want to spend a day there.

Sorry, I don't have any hotel recommendations for St. Augustine because we rarely spend the night.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Ditto the St. Augustine comments, America's oldest city. It is very charming and historic with a small town feel but so much of an interresting past. There is a trolley tour of St Augustine that pretty much covers the sites. You can walk to the old prison on your own or take a haunted walking tour at night. Driving to Jacksonville to Orlando takes around 3 hours depending on traffic.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Ps, we stayed at the Casa Monca hotel and it was lovely, not sure what your budget is. It was built in the late 1800's.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Definitely St. Augustine over Jacksonville. I have stayed at the Fiesta Inn and Suites which is right on St. Augustine Beach and enjoyed it.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 03:23 AM

We stayed at the Casa Monica last month. It is a great location, within walking distance of a lot of the historic sights and across the street from the trolley and train pick up station. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable. We were very pleased with it. I would stay in St. Augustine as opposed to Jacksonsville.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! St. Augustine it is. I am going to check out the accommodation suggestions right now. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Quick questions: Do I need more than a day on Amelia Island if I am just sightseeing?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:31 AM

As another poster said, it can be quite chilly in January. I am just outside of Orlando and we have had some hard frost then. We have also had quite warm weather so you never know. I would spend a couple days in St. Augustine and take a day trip to Amelia Island if that interests you. It is a pretty area.
The Winter Park area where I am is a great base for exploring central Fl. The Park Avenue area is filled with great shops, resturants and even a Tiffany Museum...just beautiful! This is also only about 30 minutes to the start of the attractions area - Sea World, Universal, Disney, and less than an hour from the coast where the space canter is. Gainesville is quite a distance NW of Orlando and not much there.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:39 AM

We typically spend a week or so every year @ Amelia Island in January. St. Aug. is a nice, touristy place to visit but a day should do you. Amelia Island has better restaurants as well as more to do in my opinion w/Ft. Clinch, a great beach, great historical downtown & several top notch resorts. Jax can be easily missed, there is nothing there... It appears you will spend a lot of time driving (?) you may want to curb your itin. a bit. Gainesville is a college town, not much there either. W/6 days I would likely split my time between Amelia Island & Savannah w/a daytrip to St. Aug.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 07:36 AM

I got a laugh about the "not much in Gainesville" posters. I lived in Orlando for 18 years and thought the same way. Now, after four years in Gainesville, I still haven't been to all the places I want to check out. If you want a much slower paced, pretty day full of nature and museums, spend a day in Gainesville. There are some lovely B&B's here.

When we want a hectic day of adventure at a theme park, we travel to two hours to Orlando. But I'm sure glad I don't live there anymore!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM

I pretty much agree with the other posters. Having been to all of the areas you mention, here is how I would divide up the six days you have. Understand that all of the areas you mention have worth, six days is still six days. Something is going to have to be cut in the interest of time. And...I have my own biases.

Skip Jacksonville!

Ditto with Amelia Island. This would be a lower priority compared with the other options.

Gainesville, maybe one day/night, but only because of your friend. (Gainesville is a 2-hour drive from St. Augustine and/or Orlando. Can you really afford an extra 4 hours out of each day to stay with your friend for free while the two of you visit the theme parks in Orlando or even St. Augustine?

Two-Three nights in St. Augustine. It is loaded with history & small art galleries, the ocean is close by and there is good shopping (at the outlet malls). Oh yes, there are many good and reasonable restaurants. This is my bias coming through.

Kennedy Space Center, Sea World and Animal Kingdom (to a somewhat lesser degree) are all full-day attractions. You really need to have a hotel/motel in the Central Florida area for this.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I am flying into Jacksonville, so the plan is to head straight to Amelia Island for a night and day. Then we'll drive to St. Augustine and plan on a night and two full days there. Then we'll drive to spend the night in Gainsville and spend a low-key day there. Then we'll head to Central Fla. for a night and spend two days visiting the Space Center and one Disney attraction. Does it sound like a plan?

To the poster who recommended Savannah - I have vacationed in Georgia and Savannah is absolutely a favorite spot, but on this trip I am staying in Florida. You did bring back beautiful memories though.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 09:30 AM

If you do go to Gainesville, consider spending time at the Harn Art Museum and the Natural History Museum both on the campus of the University of Florida. Those are great places for a low key day. You could hang out with my brother but we are really hoping he finally graduates in Dec.

Go Gators!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Another vote for the Casa Monica. We stayed there last year and thought the location and overall hotel were ideal. You said you liked museums, so be sure to visit the Lightner Museum. It's in a Flagler building (the old Alcazar Hotel--Casa Monica is also a Flagler). The glass collection is exquisite and there are other very intereseting exhibits.

There is an off-on bus stop in front of the museum and this is an excellent way to acquaint yourself with the city. We visited the San Sebastian Winery, enjoyed the serenity of the old Mission, we're lighthouse enthusiasts to visited it (great gift shop), had some good meals and were glad we decided to visit St. Augustine!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM

The Casa Monica is a great hotel in a superb location. I'm not sure what your budget allows but there is a moderately priced alternative literally next door:

the Old City House
http://www.oldcityhouse.com/

Even if you do not stay there, try having dinner with them. The food is exceptionally good and, I believe, their menus are online.

Be sure to have lunch at the Cafe Alcazar, in the deep end of the old swimming pool of the Hotel Alcazar in the rear of the Lightner Museum. This is right across the street from the Old City House. Their location is completely unique and the ambiance (very scenic & relaxing) must be experienced. Not a lot of tourists stumble into this place. You have to be looking for it. It is truly memorable. They are only open for lunch, but don't miss this one.

P.S. Bring your camera with you to lunch.

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM

We stayed at an oceanfront inn - the Elizabeth Pointe Lodge on Amelia Island & loved it! Very close to Fernandina Beach - Joe's Second St Bistro very good!