Reload this Page >

It's happening now..........

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:11 PM
iceeu2

there is water falling from the sky here in drought ridden North Georgia! Mother Nature doing anything grand for anyone else at the moment?

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good for you iceeu2!

Good ole Ma Na-chur gave me a glorious sunny day with a nice temp and low humidity in central Indiana. After pelting me with hail and rain earlier in the week she's proved herself the fickle femme fatale she so often is.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM

That's great! Hope it lasts long enough to get a good watering but not so long as to be problematic.

In the central valley in CA it's the relative temperature of the sun.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Well, I'm glad to hear that you can use the rain. Frankly, we've had enough! I'm tired of seeing my yard wash away down the street.

I'm thinking of investing in AstroTurf pretty soon. At least it will be green and not wash away!!!!
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Hello again iceeu2, rain here in the Sacramento Valley would be wonderful. It is so hot here. Imagine you are having quite hot weather also Suzie!!
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM

BTW is central valley and Sacto valley the same location? If they are different I better pick the right one. I know people say San Joaquin valley and Sacto valley but on a map it really is just one long valley isn't it? Do we separate them so that we are nto seen as living in the extra super hot san juaquin valley?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:33 PM
iceeu2

seetheworld, you and I must meet sometime in the very near future. We live in the area where AstroTurf and other floor coverings are made.

In fact, it's called "The Carpet Capital of the World". Just ask Budman, he got a deal from here!

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Sure, iceu2! Do you know where I can get some fake flowers to go along with the AstroTurf? I've got a baby bunny who is eating everything that I've planted so far this season!!!! Arrrgh!
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM
iceeu2

Sorry, can't help you. The deer have mowed our garden!

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:45 PM

iceeu, we have deer as well, but I've found something that actually works. It's an all-natural spray with eggs and other natural stuff. I'll get the name for you. It lasts as long as you don't have lots of rain. I spray it on my hostas and geraniums. I'll get back to you.

Someone on this site mentioned using cayenne pepper, which I did. Apparently bunny enjoys spicy food, lol.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Really just the one Central Valley sort of divided by the delta into:

- San Joaquin valley, the southern end - basically the watershed of the San Joaquin River ( though dams/reservoirs have changed that ). Sort of Bakersfield to Stockton.

- Sacramento Valley, watershed of the Sacramento River. Basically Redding to south of Sacramento.

Interestingly - though the entire Central Valley is HOT in the summer - the far northern and southern ends (Redding and B'field) are much hotter than Sacto/Stockton. Plus they don't get the delta breezes that make summers tolerable.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Hi suzie, It is sort of confusing but what is known as the Central Valley is from Shasta to Kern. The northern part of the Cental Valley includes the Sacramento Valley. The southern part of the Central Valley includes the San Joaguin Valley. I "guess" you could say that the inland..away from the shoreline of CA..and on the east side of the mountain range is the Central Valley. And it gets soooo hot during the summer months. And when the Valley gets hot the shoreline of N CA gets fog and is so much cooler. Then it seems when the Valley gets cooler the N CA shoreline gets nicer which is why SF, Bodega Bay etc. is so lovely in say September.

All of the Central Valley gets very hot Suzie. If you are going to move here do be sure to get a residence with a good working a/c. Best regards.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Ijust had to pull off the road and hide behind a big truck north of Boulder, CO--couldn't see and thought the hail would break down my windshield! Haven't driven through/stopped for anything like that since I lived in Houston...
but any moisture in a drought is good, right?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Icee--We didn't get rain today but yesterday...yay--finally! It was quite the t-storm--very loud, lots of lightning, hail and a real soaking rain. I've never been so happy to see water falling from the sky and our lawn was cheering too! (My dh was doing his happy dance too b/c he didn't have to water the lawn this w/e!)
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:28 PM

LOL Ok you guys have totally misunderstood me. In my original post I said this:

"In the central valley in CA it's the relative temperature of the sun."

Then LoveItaly came back and said this:

"...rain here in the Sacramento Valley would be wonderful. It is so hot here. Imagine you are having quite hot weather also Suzie!!"

Which led to my question about whether there is a difference between my wording using Central valley and her wording using Sacramento Valley. I have lived in the same town as Kal for more than 20 years so I do have a terrific air conditioner.